Brian Joubert - coaching change | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert - coaching change

Danale

On the Ice
Wait ... one more thing: does he REALY live with the parents? (this has just sunk in for me)
So DG wants him to leave his parents house, move to the other side of Europe, drop his coach, his mom who manages his stuff, his medical team.
Man .. I don't know.

oxade21

Match Penalty
For that he would have to relocate to Moscow. Because the FFSG wants a full-time coach (apparently Simond only spent about 4 months at Poitiers), a full-time stuff. And relocating to Moscow? He could move in with Fabian and Alexander Gaszi though. But that would be a huge step, like really huge.

And not everything Tarasova touches turns into gold, we all know that. Brian is a grown man in his mid-twenties with a strong personality, his own skating style. Alexej came to Tarasova as a teenager, basically void of any on-ice personality. I am not sure Tarasova is the solution here.

FFSG can afford to rent a nice apartment for Brian in Moscow as well as pay for all expenses.
And TaT rarely misses. She only struggles with uncommitted and disobeying athletes like Sasha Cohen.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I think the move could be a good thing for Brian. I believe he is popular in Russia, and the situation with the French Federation has become a corrosive one. I think he needs a vacation from all that. I have always loved Brian's classic, purely athletic skating, but this season, he has shown me that he has even more than that to offer, with his beautiful "Hallelujah" exhibition program.

It is no easy thing for a 6.0 skater to compete in an IJS (CoP) world, with its ever-changing rules, yet Brian won Worlds in 2007, and won the silver in Worlds 2008. He has gone through illness and injury, and come back like a lion, refusing to let problems, mistakes, and bad luck stop him. I may not always like his choices, but I always like him; I always have. I think he has an ingenuous purity of purpose, beautiful posture and line. When he hits his triple axel, it is big and beautiful, and so classic to behold. He believes in the importance of the jumps, and most of all, in the courage to attempt them honestly, not cynically just for the rotation points. Not everyone is a jump-lover, but you don't have to be a jump-lover to love Brian's skating; you just have to be a courage-lover, and I happily confess to being both.

Whatever happens, I shall always be wishing Brian well, and I hope that working in Russia, if he so chooses, will bring him good things. I think that working in Canada with Brian Orser has brought Yu-Na Kim good things. Sometimes one has to leave home for a while to find all of oneself. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Here's an article confirming the split with a statement from each :

http://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/breves2009/20090331_092727_joubert-se-separe-de-son-entraineur.html

Ouch!
Yeah, that's the nasty stuff I was referring to. My French is really not good but it's not hard to get he gist of what Simond and Joubert are saying. What did surprise me is that the decision was Simond's - do I have that right? Or did he just realize it was inevitable and take the initiative?

I really feel that with all the pressure on Brian in France, from his federation and the media, the best place for him might be elsewhere. He strikes me as very sensitive person and maybe this approach would serve him best in an Olympic year. I understand he's also had some family issues? Perhaps he needs a break from that, too.

Re Tarasova, her programs for Evan this year were definitely a miss, as has been her work with Mao to some extent. Although, in all fairness, Mao is pretty long-distance coaching. I think she and Brian might work well together. And if he can get Fabian and Nathalie to refer him to their choreographers, maybe we will finally see what Nathalie described as "a theme and some originality à la Française" from Brian. I know he didn't get the French wacky skating gene, but it would still be cool.

Not a circus program, though. :eek: Definitely leave that to the dancers!

Orser is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure Toronto is big enough for both Brian and Patrick Chan.

oxade21

Match Penalty
If Brian moves to Moscow and Plushenko indeed decide to compete. That should make an interesting drama in itself.

Eevun

Final Flight
Here's an article confirming the split with a statement from each :

http://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/breves2009/20090331_092727_joubert-se-separe-de-son-entraineur.html

Ouch!

Yeah, that's the nasty stuff I was referring to. My French is really not good but it's not hard to get he gist of what Simond and Joubert are saying. What did surprise me is that the decision was Simond's - do I have that right? Or did he just realize it was inevitable and take the initiative?

:eek: Drama. And again, everyone is trying to throw as much dirt as they can on each other...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wow. this guy has had a new coach every 6 months for the past 5 years or so. I think that he will never see the results he wants to if he keeps changing so often. I kinda disagree with this move too. I was obvioulsy fit and ready for worlds. There was great practice reports of him ticking off both kinds of quads.
He lost because of the stupid mistake on the 2 axel, and maybe the unfortunate circumstance of having to skate right after Evan brought down the house in both the long and the short.

bekalc

Record Breaker
wow. this guy has had a new coach every 6 months for the past 5 years or so. I think that he will never see the results he wants to if he keeps changing so often. I kinda disagree with this move too. I was obvioulsy fit and ready for worlds. There was great practice reports of him ticking off both kinds of quads.
He lost because of the stupid mistake on the 2 axel, and maybe the unfortunate circumstance of having to skate right after Evan brought down the house in both the long and the short.

Brian and his coach have been together since after 2006 season.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
wow. this guy has had a new coach every 6 months for the past 5 years or so. I think that he will never see the results he wants to if he keeps changing so often.
Brian had been with Simond since 2006, and of course he had very good results during this time. But the question is not what the results were during this time, but how things were between them. They didn't look to be workign well together anymore - even at Euros, you could see that they weren't really communicating. It's a real shame because I think more stability would have helped Brian. But if it's stability vs. a good coaching situation, I'd go with the latter.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Brian had been with Simond since 2006, and of course he had very good results during this time. But the question is not what the results were during this time, but how things were between them. They didn't look to be workign well together anymore - even at Euros, you could see that they weren't really communicating. It's a real shame because I think more stability would have helped Brian. But if it's stability vs. a good coaching situation, I'd go with the latter.

Exactly, and really I would think a good coaching relationship will bring stability.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

It was not just the double axel, he made a mistake in triple axel, also and had some problem with a triple flip and not enough rotations in the last spin. All that together made him lose the gold or the silver medal. Yes, it sure was not easy to skate after Evan´s performance and to listen to the enthusiastic audience.

About the coaching change, I just wonder whether Joubert is a really coachable skater, whoever might be his coach. I don´t think he would find somebody willing to coach him from Canada, LOL. In that sense Russia would be a better possibility, perhaps. I really wonder whether we will see Plushenko´s comeback next season?

Last edited:

Eevun

Final Flight
About the coaching change, I just wonder whether Joubert is a really coachable skater, whoever might be his coach. I don´t think he would find somebody willing to coach him from Canada, LOL. In that sense Russia would be a better possibility, perhaps. I really wonder whether we will see Plushenko´s comeback next season?

You mean, if not, he could become the coach? ;)

From the sound of this interview Brian is the injured party and the coach is an a.... well, MM won't let me say that kind of thing here. :cool: Seriously, what kind of coach talks like this ("I'm not some peon, some little sh** [MM again] consultant who has to spend his life in Poitiers in really tough conditions....")? No, he's the great super-coach, who gets a high-rise in Paris where ice is warm and cozy!

I feel very bad for Brian. To have your coach publicly dump you after a bad skate at Worlds has to be traumatic. I hope he can find the golden lining of this cloud.

PS: I think Brian should come to Hackensack (it's only 45 mins from me)... where he can take his shirt off...

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed that Brian's coach ordered him to change part of his program? That's kind of a dumb order from a coach and a dumb skater to take the order. Come hell or high water, it is the skater who is on the ice.

lcd

Match Penalty
Does anyone remember what kind of skater Simond was? Brilliant in compulsories, but usually a sloppy melt-down in the free skate

Olympic year changes... hmmm. Moving and change are both pretty stressful as it is. Put the Olympics on top of that?!