Brian Joubert - coaching change | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert - coaching change

jennylovskt

Medalist
Jenny, I'm not sure it's Brian himself so much as the people around him (as Kunstrijdster noted). Both Didier Gailhaguet - the president of the French federation - and Joubert's mother, Raymonde, are very much involved in his career and training. Brian still lives at home with his mother (I understand his parents are seperated) so she's quite influential. Not everyone wants to deal with all that. According to Wikipedia, Brian trained with Veronique Guyon for many years - from a really young age until around 2003 - and at some point she wanted to stop coaching. From then on, he's had much less stability with coaches and choreographers.

JCS did not have any experience coaching elite skaters AFAIK. After Worlds last year, there was some discussion about how neither he nor Brian appear to understand the math for CoP program construction. I believe this is correct: in an interview yesterday or the day before, Simond said that his tactics were fine, that up until 40 seconds from the end Joubert was the World Champion, and that he was the one who fell. The last part is correct. The rest is not: even before the fall, Brian was not maximizing his points and might not have done enough to win. The fall just sealed it. Simond did a lot of good work with Joubert but if he couldn't figure out how to have him do programs that maximize his potential points-wise, he was not doing his job as well as he could.

Thanks, Buttercup. To me, difficult to coach or uncoachable is that a skater was rebellious and disobeyed his coach most of the time. I haven't seen any thing that showed this on Brian yet.

The fact that Brian didn't have a stable relationship with his coaches in recent years might be because he hasn't found a right coach for himself. He followed his coach's advice and changed his program. I don't see any "difficult to coach" on that. The coach's suggestion right before the competition have definitely had a big impact on the mind set of a skater which definitely played a major role on Brian's unstable skating at this Worlds. Yes, Brian was the one who skated but how could he totally disregard his coach's advice without any doubt only a few minutes before the competition? It would take a great deal of rebellion to not follow his coach in this situation. Brian must have struggled in his mind on what he should do or should not do. At that point, I would say that following the coach's advice (which was a wrong advice this time) was a better choice.

Brian and his coach's separation was unavoidable this time. I just hope that Brian could soon settle down and focus on 2010 Olympics. I am so glad that he has considered to have Tarasova for his coach. Why not move to Moscow? Why only go there one week each month? Move to there and commit himself totally to it. I am sure that Tarasova has the right tool and will work for Brian.:love::love::love:

PS: Brian is going to keep his SP? That is a welcome news too. I love to see him perfect that program.:)

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ice Network joins the speculation about who Joubert's next coach might be. Names mentioned: Orser, Browning, Depouilly, Dumont, Tarasova, and... Raymonde Joubert? Apparently the last one is a rumor and a far-fetched one at that - but IN points out that she was actually accredited in LA.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Did anyone else think that Brian looked like he'd a lost a lot of weight at worlds?

I wonder if that affected him at all.

Ant

I feel very protective of Brian and he is not my favorite. If it was just switching one or two jumps for another one or two jumps, the scores would not increase. So what was the purpose of the change in program?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ant, I didn't think Joubert seemed any worse than usual - just nervous. The worst I've seen him look was at 2008 Euros, he'd been sick and looked it.

According to AFP and some other sources in the French media, Joubert is working with Laurent Depouilly as a temporary coach until the WTT, and they'll see how that works out - but Joubert would like to stay in Poitiers and have Depouilly coach him with TaT as his choreographer. It makes sense, I guess - at least they both know what they can expect from each other, and they had good results in the past; also, it's certainly better than having his mom coach him!

And Simond, as per the linked article, is still very angry about what happened and says Joubert is getting bad advice.

jennylovskt

Medalist
...but Joubert would like to stay in Poitiers and have Depouilly coach him with TaT as his choreographer. It makes sense, I guess ...

Since Joubert feels the need of staying in Poitiers, I guess that the perfect dream will not come true for me. sigh! Oh, well, TAT as his LP choreographer is still good, even though it is totally not the same as a coach.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmm Kurt's been pretty adament that he doesn't see himself as coaching material. Didn't read the article, though, is he changing his mind?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
OMG, I've just heard that Brian is going back to Depouilly and will be working with TaT for choreography! (I didn't get the information earlier as my computer was bugging).

I'm happy and sceptical about both.
Firstly, Brian left Laurent Depouilly because they didn't get on, so I'm not sure it'll work out any better. I hope I'm wrong, especially as Brian did great work with him the first time round.
Secondly, I thought the programs that TaT did for Brian in 04/05 were beautiful, but Brian didn't feel so comfortable with them. I trust Tatiana completely to do something great for Brian, but Brian mustn't lie to himself if the program doesn't suite his character. Saying that, I suspect that TaT has just the right program up her sleeve, seeing as she's always wanted to work with Brian again.

Good luck Babou!

herios

Medalist
OMG, I've just heard that Brian is going back to Depouilly and will be working with TaT for choreography! (I didn't get the information earlier as my computer was bugging)

Good luck Babou!

Here is an article, which states just that:
http://www.lesechos.fr/depeches/sports/afp_00135688.htm?xtor=RSS-2094

Translation: "It was difficult for Jean-Christophe and it became unbearabkle for me.....Jean Cristophe wasn't in Poitiers, he came only 125 days per year"

" I wish Laurent Depouilly will be on my side and Tatiana Tarasova to be my choreographer" (BJ)

"To say that the situation became unbearable and I was present only 4 months is an enourmous lie...I can't understand why to destroy a person, instead of saying I want to change my coach. It's rather ugly, I am not going to debate. He probably was badly advised" (JCS)

This departure doesn't souind very amicable, does it?

Joseph

Same article, from Brian's new/old trainer:

Laurent Depouilly, who's trained Joubert since Apr 1 at the Poitier rink -- "it's no fish," he specifies [wth???] -- calls himself "very flattered" that he once again called on him.

"It's a recognition of the work we did together [from 10/03 to 12/04] when B obtained his first European title in Budapest (2004). I have no problem with the Joubert family. We still have to define the practical details with the federation. It would be very flattering to accompany him to an OGM in Vancouver on 2/20/10."

Also, I'd translate Brian's words: "For my next season, before the Vancouver Games, I'm staying in Poitiers. I want Laurent Depouilly to stay with me [at my side] and TAT to be my choreographer."

Sounds like Depouilly is the permanent replacement.

Laurent Depouilly, qui entraîne Joubert depuis le 1er avril à la patinoire de Poitiers -"Ce n'est pas un poisson", précise-t-il- s'est dit "très flatté" qu'il ait fait de nouveau appel à lui.

"C'est une reconnaissance du travail que nous avons effectué ensemble (ndlr: d'octobre 2003 à décembre 2004) quand Brian a obtenu son premier titre européen à Budapest (2004). Je n'ai pas de problème avec la famille Joubert. Reste à définir avec la fédération les modalités. Ce serait très flatteur de l'accompagner jusqu'à la médaille d'or olympique à Vancouver le 20 février 2010".

"Pour ma prochaine saison, avant les Jeux de Vancouver, je reste sur Poitiers. Je souhaite que Laurent Depouilly reste à mes côtés et que Tatiana Tarasova soit ma chorégraphe".

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
This departure doesn't souind very amicable, does it?

Joseph

Well most of his aren't (exept for Andrei Berezinstev or whatever his name was).

We're not at the rink every day, so it's hard to judge. It seems that there is wrong on both sides though. I'll repeat mtself, but it's such a shame these two had to part, because while their duo worked, they made a great team.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well I don't know how often JCS was there, but the fact that there was tension between the two of them was obvious at Europeans...

encore

Spectator
Oh no, not again! He is changing the coach just before the Olympic season. I can't get what the guy is thinking about. Five coaches in five-and-half years! What happens to the systematic preparation for this major competition, then? I won't be surprised if he'll have no Olympic medal ever just because of this simple reason.

As of now, Brian should have enough information learned from Sweden and LA to know what he needs to win, and he should win. But will he? he may be the favorite but he is not a shoe-in.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Oh no, not again! He is changing the coach just before the Olympic season. I can't get what the guy is thinking about. Five coaches in five-and-half years! What happens to the systematic preparation for this major competition, then? I won't be surprised if he'll have no Olympic medal ever just because of this simple reason.

Joubert has kept the same coach for 3 years. It seems like things went bad, and if the situation is not workable it's not workable. He seems to be staying in the same enviroment, and is going to a coach he's worked for before. I think his situation will stabilize quickly.

And I agree with Joesitz that Joubert should have learned the lessons of Sweden and LA, and should know what he has to do to win.

Trewyn

Medalist
Laurent Depouilly, who's trained Joubert since Apr 1 at the Poitier rink -- "it's no fish," he specifies [wth???] -- .
I think the no fish part relates to April Fool's (1st of April); basically he's saying he's not joking. [I think]

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I think the no fish part relates to April Fool's (1st of April); basically he's saying he's not joking. [I think]

It probably is. On April's fools day, my French teacher came into class and drew a huge fish (Poisson d'avril) on the whiteboard.:) I've no idea how the expression came about though.

Changing your coach right before the Olympics must be so scary. Joubert won't even have time to see how things ''work out'' with Depouilly.