Preparing for the 2010 Olympics - Top Contenders | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Preparing for the 2010 Olympics - Top Contenders

berrycute

On the Ice
Maybe she should try something upbeat in the SP, and then do something she is more comfortable with (Chopin for example) in the LP.

If Mao does a Chopin tune again I think I'd have to slap her. Honey, you've DONE it before, twice! And done it well, twice!!! Time to move on. Actually, I hope the biggest trend for the 2010 games is original music choices. I always admired Michelle Kwan for choosing beautiful but lesser known pieces.

gio

Medalist
If Mao does a Chopin tune again I think I'd have to slap her. Honey, you've DONE it before, twice! And done it well, twice!!! Time to move on. Actually, I hope the biggest trend for the 2010 games is original music choices. I always admired Michelle Kwan for choosing beautiful but lesser known pieces.

I'm really sorry, but I think it won't happen next year with the current crop of skaters and their entourage.

I liked the musical choices of the 90s. Some good and original music pieces. With Michelle Kwan being one of the most important ones (Taj Mahal, Romanza, Salome, Lyra Angelica, Ariane, Red Violin, Black Swan etc...). Also a lot of ethnic pieces were choosen.

Now it's almost all classical music and tangos. And a lot of overused pieces.

I do not see Mao as a Lori Nichol skater. I think she is better off with TT but TT has to find better music than a waltz.

Unless her injuries have caused permanent damage to her body, I would like to see YuNa improve her line. The knees have to be turned out and the toes pointed. Slutskaya did it. No reason for YuNa not to do it.

Joannie is moving right along in the right direction.

Carolina K. needs a lot of work.

The American Ladies have an uphill battle but either of them will podium if the favorites falter.

wishmaker

Rinkside
Well, I'm preparing myself for the 2010 Olympics for the simple reason that judging of figure skating is getting vague. *Firstly, good luck to all the athletes - they really need it, I just couldn't put myself into their shoes cause with what they are trying to skate better, get to a higher level, take more risks to achieve the most result with their techniques - they end up confused, once they are in the Kiss & Cry, thinking about what they have done wrong to receive certain marks while all their practices were thought to have corrected their past faults ; **Secondly, good luck to their coaches, they need it too, cause they have to be right and sturdy as not to destroy/mar the athlete's emotional/mental/physical well being - they also have to choose the right music that would appeal to the judges, fans, media and of course should be compatible with the way/style of the athletes. But no matter what, I'll still be watching figure skating with all the umphs and sighs and whats and whys and..............

steyn

On the Ice
I do not see Mao as a Lori Nichol skater. I think she is better off with TT but TT has to find better music than a waltz.

Unless her injuries have caused permanent damage to her body, I would like to see YuNa improve her line. The knees have to be turned out and the toes pointed. Slutskaya did it. No reason for YuNa not to do it.

I also think TT is better for Mao. Maybe I am in the minority but I enjoyed her LP more than previous ones. I think TT knows what to do. I just hope that they find some way to stay longer together, either in Russia or in Japan. It will certainly help Mao improve consistency and, more importantly, become more confident with what she can do.

It would be really great if Yu-Na becomes more flexible and improves her line but I am afraid her injury is a kind of permanent thing. When asked about the injury, she does not say it is completely healed. Instead she says that as an athelete she cannot avoid injuries and she now knows how to control it. She still seems to feel something which, though, is not painful when she is in good physical condition.

encore

Spectator
Dance gets very, very political at Olympics. I am commenting with eyes more on next year's World Championships.

I am hoping it won't so much this year.

Thanks as always for your wonderful insights on dance Doris.

If Olympics is "very very"... then what was Worlds this year? just one "very"

Sigh....:scratch:

What if this year’s Worlds was "very very very" and Olympics will be just "very very"?
Yeah, that's true; I'm just trying to cheer you up...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Well, there's nothing like adding a Waltz to the popular tunes of the 40s. I think Virtue/Moir should have used The Tennesee Waltz., and Belbin/Agosto, the Carousel Waltz.

Dipyramidal

On the Ice
Mao -YuNA is back on!!
Mao just got a 75.85 score for her SP. it included 3a+2t, 3f, 2a,, and a lvl4 footwork.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Let me see...

Mao needs

3A
3F + 3T
2A

for her SP because her 3Lo in her 3F + 3Lo rarely counts and her 3F + 3T is pretty good! Her SP, Tango or something fast and upbeat! LP, a music that's Mao's style. ( Eg. Czardash, 2007 Worlds ) Needs to practice all the jumps except for salchow and especially lutz! She need lutz some where in her FS! Better facial expression will also help. She should only do two 3A if the combination is 3A + 3T, otherwise replace it with 3F + 3T or 2A + 3T. If Mao have her moment, she should win.

While for Yu-Na, don't expect that kind of nice lovely judge like this years Worlds again. She need to be more flexible and needs to get better position in spins. But that's all. Yu-Na is already really comfortable with her jumps now as she did not change them for last 3 years. If she wants the gold, no challenge and avoid injuries. She already is technical and artistic. 3A and Yu-Na is NOT a good idea.

Yu-Na's Program Component Score in FS 2008-2009 Season

Skate America 60.00
Cup of China 61.68
Grand Prix Final 60.69
Four Continents 60.88
2009 Worlds 68.40??

There is no doubt that she deserved that gold in 2009 Worlds. I just don't understand the huge increase in component score for the same FS. I don't think she should stop improving and thinking that the 2010 Olympics is going to be easy. I think Brian Orser is a great coach for her and she will probably wow us again with a great performance at the Olympics!

My prediction is:

1. Yu-Na Kim/Mao Asada
2. Yu-Na Kim/Mao Asada
3. Joannie Rochette/Carolina Kostner/Miki Ando

yunaddiction

Rinkside
For Yuna,
Nothing.
I just want to see her great 3Loop (like what she did at 2007COR) again after 2010.

For Joannie,
A good music, No more Jimi Hendrix's. Summertime was a good choice.

For Miki,
Nothing.
Forget about 4S.

For Mao,
Better transition skill & choreograph for more PCS.
The recent change of the rule is a good news to her. Especially on UR & toe kick.

For Laura, ( I love her.:) )
Lutz

For Caro,
Guts

fairly4

Medalist
THey just have to keep on doing what they are doing with the exception of Canada for 2 reasons
1) it is being held in canda
2) david dore--isu honcho is canadian-so they are going to keep the canadians scores inflated/cheated a bit.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
THey just have to keep on doing what they are doing with the exception of Canada for 2 reasons
1) it is being held in canda
2) david dore--isu honcho is canadian-so they are going to keep the canadians scores inflated/cheated a bit.

:rolleye:

note to self: remember to log in b4 reading this forum. :banging: