Film Scores you'd like skaters to use | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Film Scores you'd like skaters to use

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always loved Michelle's portrayal on Pocahontas (circa 1996), with several songs from the movie.

I love movie soundtracks, and from all your suggestions, I have a lot to catch up on. :biggrin:

bex1

Spectator
How about John Ottman's theme for "Usual Suspects" - would sound great skated to IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyreQqjFJiQ

Or this music for an anime film by Joe Hisaishi, which I have uploaded to Youtube myself since there wasn't any version before. Nice tempo changes, but I also think this might be even more suitable for a Ice dance pair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Z8OUeNYdc

I might just as well introduce myself... :laugh: A guy from Finland who has been a figure skating fan for a number of years but never skated himself other than when playing hockey as a child. Rahkamo / Kokko converted me way back and I have been thrilled by all the development Finnish ladies have made over the years...

Mika

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
How about John Ottman's theme for "Usual Suspects" - would sound great skated to IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyreQqjFJiQ
Yes to The Usual Suspects. I think it would be great for a dance program - a voidy one, if handled correctly! ;) I'm not sure which Hisaishi score you're referring to, you posted the same link twice accidentally.

Welcome to the forum and have fun posting! Now, which film score do you want the Finnish ladies to skate to?

bex1

Spectator
Yes to The Usual Suspects. I think it would be great for a dance program - a voidy one, if handled correctly! ;) I'm not sure which Hisaishi score you're referring to, you posted the same link twice accidentally.

Thanks for pointing this out, I have now fixed the Hisaishi-link in my previous post.

Welcome to the forum and have fun posting! Now, which film score do you want the Finnish ladies to skate to?

Thanks! About the music for Finnish ladies... hmmm... I think Lepistö or Pöykiö could do the Hisaishi one above (or maybe even Asada or Ando, to whom it would suit nicely, too IMO). But as for other selections, well, I have one favourite, which has a beautiful melody and "different" instrumentation, and I personally would welcome it to programs of any one of them... it is a theme melody for a Finnish television series from 1970s. Doesn't sound classical at all, but I think it might work:

Lasse Mårtenson: Myrskyluodon Maija:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEzwRbxTdA0

Then there is the score for movie "Wilde" by Debbie Wiseman, not having any particular skater in mind. This is the theme melody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8pA0u8dZfA

And maybe this from Georges Delerue (Love them from "Platoon"), which I just uploaded because I couldn't find it there either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZBirxBwZX8

By the way, I actually registered here in 2006 but for reasons I can't remember, just didn't post anything before today... :biggrin:

Mika

beep_beep

Medalist
Not a film score, but I like to see ice dancers using Keane's songs.
Ha-ha, I though that too. I have a brilliant choreography for Spiralling! It's all in my head. If someone is interested, call me.:laugh:
(Perhaps we should start the "non-classical music you would like someone to skate to")

Back to the topic

Dune
Girl with Pearl Earring (I so see a young ladies skater taking on it...)
the theme from City of Angels
The Victorious City (Butriskaya (sp?) had a SP to that)

Oh, and yes: from The Matrix...Reloaded: Dread Rock and Monalisa Overdrive :rock: (I don't think Joubert has picked those yet :biggrin: )

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have one favourite, which has a beautiful melody and "different" instrumentation, and I personally would welcome it to programs of any one of them... it is a theme melody for a Finnish television series from 1970s. Doesn't sound classical at all, but I think it might work:

Lasse Mårtenson: Myrskyluodon Maija:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEzwRbxTdA0
Oh, I like your Hisaishi link! He is just amazingly talented, it seems like he has been named quite a few times on this thread. I went back and listened to the symphonic version of Princess Mononoke and I really want Brian Joubert to use cuts from that for an LP next season. It's not Matrixy at all so it would be an interesting choice for him, but it's close enough to his comfort zone that he wouldn't have too hard a time relating to it. Plus, it's gorgeous, and even has a built-in step sequence around 2:40.

It will never happen, of course, because neither Brian nor Tarasova will likely have heard of it, and Brian would never skate to anything with "princess" in the title. Princesses don't do quads! Maybe if someone sold him on it with the Japanese title? ;)

I would also assign Spirited Away to Rachael Flatt. I think she could put together a lovely program to parts of it. Rachael, you know you don’t want to skate to baby ballerina pretty tinkly stuff.

I enjoyed Myrskyluodon Maija – thanks for the link, I'd never have heard of it otherwise. What was the show about? Of all the Finns, I feel it would suit Pöykiö best. The music from Platoon is also good, esp. for a pair program.

from The Matrix...Reloaded: Dread Rock and Monalisa Overdrive :rock: (I don't think Joubert has picked those yet :biggrin: )
(see above :cool:)

Last edited:

bex1

Spectator
Oh, I like your Hisaishi link! He is just amazingly talented, it seems like he has been named quite a few times on this thread. I went back and listened to the symphonic version of Princess Mononoke and I really want Brian Joubert to use cuts from that for an LP next season. It's not Matrixy at all so it would be an interesting choice for him, but it's close enough to his comfort zone that he wouldn't have too hard a time relating to it. Plus, it's gorgeous, and even has a built-in step sequence around 2:40.

Thanks for the link, and one thing I always keep worrying about when imagining pieces of soundtracks to be used in figure skating, is exactly that: where does the step sequence fit in? And you're right about the Mononoke there. That part CALLS for it! Same for the Karl Jenkins' Imagined Oceans that Lepistö used this season. You knew exactly where the step sequence would be once you heard the track... Infact, that symphonic suite reminded me of Kitaro's theme from movie "Heaven and Earth", but that of course has been well used before.

It will never happen, of course, because neither Brian nor Tarasova will likely have heard of it, and Brian would never skate to anything with "princess" in the title.

That's true...:biggrin:

I enjoyed Myrskyluodon Maija – thanks for the link, I'd never have heard of it otherwise. What was the show about?

It was a family series about the people living on the coast, don't know much about the content myself. The title translates to "Maija from the Storm islet" or something like that (Maija being woman's name there).

Have to do some catching with all the previous messages in this thread, lots of promising suggestions there to check out.

life684

Final Flight
anything by the genius ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
(benjamin button, lust caution, girl with the pearl earring, painted veil etc)

or as a tangent from delobel/schoenfelder's success with michael nyman's the piano - GATTACA?!

p.s. nothing from slumdog millionaire- if people thought D/W were robbed at worlds....desplat was robbed at the oscars...SM OST is...not music

Very French of you to think Desplat deserved an oscar for that movie, the music was nothing special, in my opinion some British tele program got better music.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
What do you all think of skating to TV themes?
Other than miniseries (I mentioned a couple in a previous post), I think TV music can be used but it's better to use scores rather than themes. "Lost" has had some beautiful music (season 1, season 3 - scroll down for samples), and Christophe Beck composed some really nice stuff for various Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes. The Buffy musical episode, however, should probably be off-limits :p. I'm sure there are other good TV scores.

Benny & Joon would make a great program. Some of Johnny Depp's scenes in that movie could be a great inspiration for the choreo.

Last edited:

stella8h8chang

Rinkside
1. Jo Hisaishi!
2. Michael Nyman
3. Something Disney - like the Beauty and the Beast instrumental bits? The thing about it, I guess, is that it could come across as being really childish.

4. Can we include musical scores? Maybe it's just me, but the soundtrack to "Billy Elliot" always makes me feel like skating. Also, "Cats", although not the obvious bits! Loved Yu-Na's "Miss Saigon" medley - I wonder if anyone could pull off a "Les Miserables" one?

Tigger

Final Flight

YES!!!

Not only is it great music, but it would fit the Folk requirements for this year's OD too. If you didn't know what you were listening to, you'd think you were listening to a Russian Folk CD.

I can't remember what the actual title of the piece is, but I call it Tatiana's Theme. It's the really bittersweet and heart shattering violin piece we hear played usually whenever any of the characters are either reading her Diary or talking about it. It's also heard during the final couple of scenes at the end of the movie too.

The Secret of NIMH

Oh...It's been awhile since I've popped my tape in to watch, but you're right. There are some lovely pieces of music from TSoNIMH. I think the song Flying Dreams from it would make a wonderful show number for a Pairs team. Kenny Loggins and Olivia Newton John did a gorgeous version of this song for Kenny's More Songs From Pooh Corner album a few years ago.

BTW...I highly reccomend both of Kenny's Pooh Corner CD's. He calls them Kids Albums that even the grown ups will love. I adore them both and find them really great relaxation aids for when I'm battling the insommina demons. They also make perfect Baby Shower gifts. :)

Okay...Back on topic...

Someone mentioned the music from Hook a few pages back and I've been wanting someone to skate to that music for ages now. I had a SP choreographed in my head for the longest time to first the music that's used when not only Peter remembers, but Ruffio acknowledges him as the real Peter Pan, and the Prologue music. I've always thought that would make a great SP.

I've also for almost six or seven years now been lobbying for the music from Hidalgo It's a really good little movie, but the music is wonderful. I especially love the Opening Credits/Frank and Hidalgo's Theme. I've always thought it would be a wonderful beginning for a Ladies SP or LP or the same for Pairs.

I also love the music from A History of Violence, but especially the piece I call Edie and Tom's Theme. It starts out so very soft, but as the movie goes on, you begin to hear sublte changes sto the melody. Just as the same thing is going on in the relationship. It would be perfect for one of the many talented Ladies out there, but just who that is...I have no idea what so ever,

I'll be back in a little bit w/some more ideas. Painkillers are kicking in big time and I'm literally falling asleep here at the computer.

My foot surgery went really, really well on Thursday BTW and I just wanted to say once again Thank You to all of you who posted Good Wishes to me. It really meant a lot to me. :).

bex1

Spectator
And while on subject of Howard Shore (Eastern Promises, LOTR...) - don't remember if this was already mentioned by someone - but his soundtrack for Ed Wood has some gems in it, too. Kiira Korpi, who seems to prefer more jazzy music to her programs, could enjoy skating to "Elmogambo" from that album. You can listen to an excerpt from the link above.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Has anyone heard music from The Soloist yet? It's a movie about a cello player I think so there should be some decent music in it. Dario Marionelli is listed as the composer, so I would expect it to be good!