Strong Canadian contingent ready for Team Trophy | Golden Skate

Strong Canadian contingent ready for Team Trophy

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090410&content_id=63820&vkey=ice_news
A veritable who's who of Canada's elite figure skaters is headed to Japan on Monday for the inaugural ISU World Team Trophy, which will be held from April 16-19 in Tokyo.

Fresh off winning the most medals of any country last month at the world championships in Los Angeles, Team Canada is excited for this new challenge, despite fatigue that tends to set in at the end of an intense, pre-Olympics season. The substantial prize money available -- $200,000 for the first-place team, $170,000 for second and so on down the line -- is also a pretty decent motivator.

I really don't know how to tally-up the points for placements, but doesn't each participant get some points? That gives Canada quite a lot of points. Let's say for arguments sake:

Joannie in Second Place
Chan in First Place
Dube/Davison in 4th Place
Virtud/Moir in 2nd Place

How many points does the above get? and which team can do better?

Last edited:
Joannie in Second Place -- 11 points
Chan in First Place -- 12 points
Dube/Davison in 4th Place -- 8 points
Virtud/Moir in 2nd Place -- 11 points

Let's also put

Phaneuf in 8th place -- 5 points
Chipeur in 8th place -- 5 points.

How many points does the above get?

52 points.

...and which team can do better?

Mao Asada in 1st place -- 12 points
Miki Ando in 3rd place -- 10 points
Nubunari Oda -- 5th place -- 8 points
Kozuka -- 6th place -- 7 points
Reed and Reed -- 5th place -- 8 points
Takahashi/Tran in 6th place -- 7 points

Total = 52 points.

Lysacek in second place -- 11 points
Abbott in 7th place -- 5 points
Caroline Zhang in 4th place -- 8 points
Rachael Flatt in 5th place -- 7 points
Belbin and Agosto in first place -- 12 points
Denny and Barnett in 3rd place -- 9 points

Total = 52 points. :biggrin:

(But I think Joubert will beat both Chan and Lysacek, I think the Japanese men will finish higher than 5th and 6th, I think Khokhlova and Novitski will beat both Virtue and Moir and Belbin and Agosto, and Japan will win overall. :) )

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lysacek in second place -- 11 points
Abbott in 7th place -- 5 points
Caroline Zhang in 4th place -- 8 points
Rachael Flatt in 5th place -- 7 points
Belbin and Agosto in first place -- 12 points
Denny and Barnett in 3rd place -- 9 points

Total = 52 points. :biggrin:

I think Abbott will do better than 7th place. He can beat Voronov, Chipeur, Amodio, Wu, Yang and Menshov and has beaten Chan, Lysacek and Kozuka.

Denney/Barrett are more likely to finish 5th than 3rd.

4th place (Zhang) is worth 9 points, not 8, and 5th place (Flatt) is worth 8 points, not 7.

(But I think Joubert will beat both Chan and Lysacek, I think the Japanese men will finish higher than 5th and 6th, I think Khokhlova and Novitski will beat both Virtue and Moir and Belbin and Agosto, and Japan will win overall. :) )

The men's competition is the hardest to predict and will determine the team results.

I don't see K/N beating V/M and B/A unless the 4 additional judges added to the panel include all of AZE, EST, UKR, ISR.

I
I don't see K/N beating V/M and B/A unless the 4 additional judges added to the panel include all of AZE, EST, UKR, ISR.
:laugh: All those Russian judges scattered throughout the world.

btw. Who are the scheduled judges? (if you know)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There will be a judge for each of the countries represented in the competition, plus up to four additional judges.

The additional judges will be chosen using the ISU World Ranking list.

For Ice Dance, the 'additional' candidates are:
ITA
GBR
ISR
AZE
UKR
LTU
GER

The selection will be made "pending availability".

Obviously, K/N's chances to win the dance event would improve if the additional judges were ISR, AZE, UKR and LTU.