My Take on Campbell's - Spoiler | Page 2 | Golden Skate

My Take on Campbell's - Spoiler

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
But I swear, next time I go to see figure skating live, I'm taking a squirt gun just in case.

That is such a great idea -- I wish I had one in Malmo last year. Behind me were a group of snotty, opionated women from Britain, and one of them wa ragging on Jenna McCorkell's weight so much I almost turned around and called her a cow. But a squirt gun would have been much more effective. Especially if it comes right out of the fridge.

mpal2

Final Flight
Don't mean to start or continue too big of a deal, but I noticed Sasha's warm-ups/practices at 2002 Nationals before the big "Michelle-Sasha" collision thing (which I didn't see BTW). I was irritated by her apparent lack of attention to other skaters on the ice.

I do not believe that she is planning on running into anyone intentionally, but I do think that she either (1) tries to psych out other skaters by cutting in the empty spots before they get to them, thereby interrupting the element they planned or (2) she just doesn't pay attention because she is used to non-elite skaters moving out of her way. I remember one of the reasons she listed for the move to Tarasova is that she has private ice. Before she had to maneuver around other skaters.

I haven't decided if it's a little bit of both reasons listed above or more one than the other. After a few competitions, I have noticed that Sasha wouldn't be the only one playing head games during the warm-up if that's the case. It happens all the time.

One of the moments that actually made me laugh was one shown on TV between Maria B. and Michelle during 1999 Worlds. The ladies were waiting for the great zamboni to leave the ice. Michelle was by the wall and Maria was slightly ahead but beside her. Maria made a great point of removing her skate guards and leaning directly in Michelle's way (and forcing her to bend back out of the way) to place them on the wall. The body language was so full of it that I had to laugh. :laugh:

Anyway, it's the way of sport. Head games or not paying attention, everyone will run into both types of skaters at any given competition.

Well, at least we all agree on the squirt guns, lol. (Ice water--brilliant idea, HockeyFan!)

As for Sasha during warm-ups, I think people will probably perceive this differently for some time, maybe always. The only thing I want to add is that I think the Sasha of spring '02 was a much less experienced, much more immature skater/person than the Sasha who is skating today. Lest we forget, the Olympics was her first international competition. OTOH, she had I believe 10 competitions last season, has toured with COI for several years, gotten older (the difference between 17 and 19-20 can be a big one), and has reported that since being with Tarasova she feels a strong sense of professionalism about skating that she didn't have before. When Sasha was with Nicks, she skated in a very crowded rink, so if she had problems during warm-ups during '02 Nats, it doesn't seem that it would be due to lack of practice skating in heavy traffic. Besides, a number of top skaters have had whole rinks to themselves or with one other skater for much of their careers--Michelle at Lake Arrowhead, Yagudin with Mishin, then Tarasova, to name just two.

Anyway, what matters to me is how Sasha skates now, both in her programs and in warm-ups, not how she did 18 months ago.

Now the question is, will we use our squirtguns on Dick and Peggy? Okay, right, they do deserve respect no matter how gaggy their commentary gets. But how about Terry Gannon and Peter Carruthers? I say those guys are fair game:p
Rgirl

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's just not fair that (by all accounts) Sasha skated a fantastic program and Michelle et al mediocre ones. There isn't enough reason to criticize Sasha. NO FAIR!

HEY! I have an idea: Let's pick on Sasha's warm up strategy! In fact, let's dredge up that old "Sasha bumped into Michelle on purpose" argument from a couple of years ago. Then we can accuse her of doing the same thing at this year's Campbell's! Phew! I knew I'd think of some way to rag on Sasha!
:\ :sheesh: :p

gkelly

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
The only thing I want to add is that I think the Sasha of spring '02 was a much less experienced, much more immature skater/person than the Sasha who is skating today.

Yes.

Lest we forget, the Olympics was her first international competition.

Huh? First senior international championship, not first international competition.

She was on the JGP in 1999-2000 (had she been to any NAC or minor junior events before that?) and went to 2000 Junior Worlds. In fall 2000 she competed at two Grand Prix events, and in fall 2001 two GPs plus Finlandia. So a minimum of six internationals at the junior and senior level before the Olympics.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I can't count. Minimum of seven internationals before SLC. (I think she only did one JGP event because of injury that fall -- also she skated as a junior head to head against Volchkova at the USFSA invitational, but I'm not counting that as a real international.)

Joesitz said:
RG - Not unusual for a winner to be nitpicked although it is kinda early at this time.
There are two RG's on GS, RG#1 is Realtorgal aka Rgal. RG#2 is Rgirl, aka moi. Though we are twins separated at birth, we do like to be addressed as individuals:p

As for the content of the post, I say it's never too early for nitpicking. Nitpick early, nitpick well;)
RGIRL

rGirl and RG (how I differentiate) - As I've tried to say many times, Nitpicking is a sign of a skater's success.:rolleye:

Maybe that statement belongs in Weekend Quips.:)

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Sasha

How do you think Sasha's new LP compares to her past LPs? Malaguena was a great SP, but IMO she has never really had a strong vehicle in the free skate.

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I thought that it was 100% better. But, I haven't studied it on anything.

1. She skated clean (or as close to clean as she's ever gotten in an LP) last in line after about 13 programs that were either error filled or boring or both. It really was a breath of fresh air, and the victory seemed all but assured after she finished.

2. It didn't seem as hammy as last years, which really seemed Norma Desmond-ish at Lalique.

3. She finally moved that darn 'Beaver Cleaver' spin from the end. Thnk God for small miracles. Now if only she'd drop it for at least one program. I know, I know, about as likely as Irina not doing the double Bielman at the end of one of her programs.

Sasha is using the music where the Black Swan has just deceived the Prince in having him swear his eternal love for her. Meanwhile from a window above the ballroom, the Prince sees the White Swan and realizes he professed love to the wrong swan. Everytime I see Swan Lake I get the feeling I want to rush up on the stage and tell the Prince that no good swan would where black to the Queen's ball.:eek:

Anyway the whole party turns to turmoil. What else could it do?:confused: The music is quite exciting using a lot of variations on the principal theme. Sasha utilizes the music to the hilt andl with her bravura style is exactly what the music calls for. Imo, it's a real winner.:love:

Joe

Last edited:

advertisingboi

Spectator
my take on campbell's

this would've been sooner if i had known about this message board. but, here is my first post. =)

this was my 2nd live competition, the first being the ladies' SP at worlds in DC, although i was in the nosebleed section.

i had pretty decent seats this time around, we sat on the judges' side, but on the other side of the kiss and cry. this guy sitting two seats down was being kind of obnoxious. he tapped this poor guy in front of him, and told him to lean forward so he could take a picture. and when the guy did so, after giving him a dirty look, the guy continually tapped him and made him move. i thought they were going to break out into a fight.

i really like AP mcdonough. i liked her outfit. i liked shizuka arakawa's swan lake SP last year even more. i don't know why people rat on AP so much. she has some technique issues to work on, but i think she was robbed last year at nationals after landing the most triples and not being rewarded with at least the technical scores to back it up.

as for michelle, i too was surprised she used tosca, and surprised that so much of it was the same as irina's music from the olympics. opened the same, closed the same. i am not a michelle kwan fan at all though. i was kind of glad she popped that lutz, so she could give sasha a chance at a win. =D i just don't think michelle is that exciting. her jumps aren't that high, her spins aren't that fast or interesting (i hate her layback position). but, i'm glad sasha came thru with a clean program, minus the double footing on the second flip. i was really glad she hit her triple toe, after missing it at nationals and worlds last year.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Re: my take on campbell's

advertisingboi said:
i am not a michelle kwan fan at all though. i was kind of glad she popped that lutz, so she could give sasha a chance to win

Have more faith in Sasha. She has it in her to win over any of the current competition with her skating alone. And then there is the other issue of being happy over someone else's misfortune. It has been my experience that it usually comes back to haunt you in some way.

Welcome to GS adboi. You will find lots of Sasha fans here. Come on now you weren't really glad that Michelle popped that lutz were you?

Piel

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I just finished watching most of my tape of Campbell's. To my great surprise, the program that I enjoyed the most was Tim's. I see the biggest improvement in his skating than anyone else at this competition. You could actually seem him "stretch" and extend his moves..........this was a pleasant surprise for me.....42