Men - SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men - SP

elanna

Rinkside
:I don't recall Sandhu having more stellar performances than Abbott has had. Did he ever skate a flawless competition, SP AND LP, as Jeremy did at the Grand Prix Final and nearly did at the Cup of China?

Once upon a time Sandhu won GPF in brilliant style, giving at the same time a very painful kick to Plushenko under back!:love:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Once upon a time Sandhu won GPF in brilliant style, giving at the same time a very painful kick to Plushenko under back!:love:
Sandhu was a great skater and a great headcase. Just to be more accurate, while he certainly won that GPF over Plushenko, it was Plushenko who pretty much handed him the win with a stupid Zayak violation.

After CoC, I worried that the expectations might crush Jeremy. It took longer than I expected, but I think his GP perforamce and national championship has just put more pressure on him than he can handle, in what is really his first season as a serious contender. Add him to Tomas and Caro on the list of skaters who need a good sports psychologist.

Last edited:

elanna

Rinkside
Sandhu was a great skater and a great headcase. Just to be more accurate, while he certainly won that GPF over Plushenko, it was Plushenko who pretty much handed him the win with a stupid Zayak violation.

Yes to a certain extent it was so, but I`ve always appreciated a dancer more than a jumping bean!:)

antmanb

Record Breaker
"He is punching Johnny's ticket to the Olympics with this kind of performance" sounds pretty catty to me. Weir and Abbott have both struggled this season and both will need to step up in their performance level for the Olympic season, which I'm sure they both know. The Olympic team will be decided upon who deserves it most by their performances at the 1. 2010 US Nationals and the 2. 2009-2010 Grand Prix season, not by what happened at the World Team Trophy. Jeremy works for and dreams of the Olympics just like any skater does. It's one thing to critique a skater's performance, but to say he or she doesn't deserve to go to the Olympics 10 months before the fact is crazy . . . anything can happen between now and then. The US has 3 spots, and I don't understand what would make anyone think at this point that Johnny has a lock for one of those spots and Jeremy doesn't at this point, especially when they BOTH have struggled. It's way too early to have any indication who the USFSA will select or how skater x and y will perform right now.

I think you're taking the comment far to personally on Abbott's behalf. "He's punching Johnny's ticket to the Olympics" is simply a true statement that a bad performance like this would surely take him out contention leaving the next in line - Johnny - to go. At least that was my reading of it - i didn't think it was catty or offensive.

Ant

shine

Record Breaker
Jeremy, please find your triple axel and the short-lived confidence back before next season starts!!!!

shine

Record Breaker
Why should a skater feel sorry or ashamed for coming into their prime later than others? And for you, psycho, to suggest that training hard automatically translates into being a good COMPETITOR is very naive and ignorant. You must have never had any experience in performing arts in a competitive setting. Many people are talented but not too many are talented AND have the nerves to perform well under pressure.
And really, what point are you trying to make exactly, psycho?
According to Jeremy Abbott's biography apparently he's had more years of "experience" than Johnny. Jeremy stated skating at 2 years old and Johnny started skating at 12 years old.... :)
Not trying to defend Jeremy's poor showing at the recent competitions, but really, competing in Juveniles as a 9 year old does not exactly provide the same kind of experience as competing as a senior Worlds contender for several years. I think museksk8r was only trying to suggest that Jeremy's lack of experience of skating under expectation and pressure compared to Lysacek and Weir partly contributed to his disappointing performances of late. While he has always had the talent, there's never been too much expectation on him to win anything major. When he suddenly found himself in a strange place as a GPF and National champion, the expectation threw him off.

Last edited:
"He's punching Johnny's ticket to the Olympics" is simply a true statement that a bad performance like this would surely take him out contention leaving the next in line - Johnny - to go.

True, but there is still something funny about this whole discussion.

Johnny could go to the Olympics no matter what Jeremy punches or doesn't punch. The U.S. has three men's slots.

Maybe we mean Jeremy is punching Steven Carriere's ticket. Or that Brandon Mroz punched Johnny's ticket by not making the top ten at Worlds.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I just have to say this....next year is a whole different ball game. Let's see who can bring in the home run!!

Mroz made the top 10 - number 9 to be exact. Abbott was 11th

Oh, thank you. I had forgotten that.

I was trying to make a joke, based on the idea that Lysacek, Weir and Abbott are the obvious front-runners for the three spots. But -- with a timely reminder from SillyLionLove -- yes, anything can happen next year. :)