Men's LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Trewyn

Medalist
Wait... ISU live results now shows Oda in third place, did he beat Chan after all?? *hopes so* (I thought earlier when I watched Oda was behind Chan overall.. but maybe I'm mistaken)

Alicja

On the Ice
Does the LP count more than the SP? Or are the team standings wrong? They put 2 and 10 points in the men's event for France....

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Medusa, having watched all the guys, should Brian's PCS have been that much lower than Chan's and Lysacek's? Brian did have the second-highest tech, and from your description he had a good performance, so I'm a bit surprised.

Trewyn, Oda is indeed third overall - he had a much better SP than Chan.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Thanks Meduse. I thought you were not going to see this comp in France with no computer, but you did and it's great for us to read the PBP.
^^I overpanicked. I completely miscalculated when we where going to leave for France and when this competition was. And then I found out that I still have my web-tv subcription. We leave on Sunday for France, I will even be able to see Ladies and Pairs tomorrow. Not sure I will do PBP though, the men are the only real thing.

But PBP is now over. Good to see that the judges answer to the great Superchan and gave him the highest PCS with a basically botched performance.

Buttercup said:
Medusa, having watched all the guys, should Brian's PCS have been that much lower than Chan's and Lysacek's? Brian did have the second-highest tech, and from your dexcription he had a good performance.
I didn't say that Brian had a really good performance. You just feel that this is not a fully developped program. But he fought for it, the steps were energetic, the spins solid.

I am starting to think that Chan must have landed more than I saw. 152 points is the personal best for perfect performances from guys like Weir.

Oda was the star of the night, he had some magic in there, especially the second half. He had the highest TES. His very low PCS is borderline criminal.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think the team scores are screwed up, actually. They scored only the LP in the total.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
^^I overpanicked. I completely miscalculated when we where going to leave for France and when this competition was. And then I found out that I still have my web-tv subcription. We leave on Sunday for France, I will even be able to see Ladies and Pairs tomorrow. Not sure I will do PBP though, the men are the only real thing.

But PBP is now over. Good to see that the judges answer to the great Superchan and gave him the highest PCS with a basically botched performance.

Thanks Medusa for the PBP and for your amusing, describing, personal comments :clap:

They wouldn't let him into the GP Final, so he's running determined. I think the results of the LP are the same as the results of the Worlds. Lysacek, Chan and Joubert.

I conclude there is no Favorite to Win the 2010 Olympics for the Men's Figure Skating.

viv

On the Ice
I think the team scores are screwed up, actually. They scored only the LP in the total.

I don't get this - why are they doing a SP when it doesn't count? Oda as the better Japanese skater should have 10 points - he was third overall -, but he counts with 9 in the team standings. That really sucks.

Danale

On the Ice
Thanks, Medusa, for the PbP!!
I still find it hard to see Evan's long arms, so it's even better this way :biggrin:

coconutpunch

Rinkside
I don't get this - why are they doing a SP when it doesn't count? Oda as the better Japanese skater should have 10 points - he was third overall -, but he counts with 9 in the team standings. That really sucks.
It looks like they updated it, since it says 10 now (for Nobu).

turtle

On the Ice
They have fixed the team total scores. Only one point difference between Japan and Canada. Almost impossible to overthrow US now...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Protocols are available through the event page. I only have Medusa's (excellent :clap:) PBP to go by, but it seems to me as though Brian and Nobu were screwed over, Chan was completely overscored and Lysacek got a World Champion bonus. Any thoughts from people who actually watched?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Protocols! Love those.

Evan: edge warning on Flip and downgraded on the second Triple Axel and on the Double Loop of the Flip combo

Chan: got +1.6 GOE on the Double Axel at the beginning, and +1.6 on the one at the end. Interesting. 152 points for a 6 Triple performance, ain't life great? And those 6 Triples weren't even clean!

Joubert: nothing downgraded, got credited with one Quad and 8 Triples. Edge call on Flip. Low levels on the spins and second steps.

Oda: he got that Quad rotated, edge warning on Lutz - otherwise clean sheet

Abbott: downgraded on the Lutz of the 3-2-2 (again? That happened to him before!) and on the last jump. Quad was rotated

Kozuka: downgraded on Lutz and Loop at the end. Poor baby.

Alicja

On the Ice
Protocols are available through the event page. I only have Medusa's (excellent :clap:) PBP to go by, but it seems to me as though Brian and Nobu were screwed over, Chan was completely overscored and Lysacek got a World Champion bonus. Any thoughts from people who actually watched?

Just by looking at the score Brian didn't place higher because the levels killed him...

Patrick and Evan got level 3 or 4 on their footwork and spins while Brain got mostly level 2 or level 3 and one level 1...

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker

I was surprised that Chan was as high as he was techniaclly with 6 triples. With two more triples and a quad I would have though the TES between him and Joubert would have been a bigger spread.

Chan got a couple of 9.0s in PCS (have we seen that before?) - they came from judges that gave him +3s on some GOEs.

The cynic in me just thinks the inflation is there to annoint him Olympic champion at home.

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Just by looking at the score Brian didn't place higher because the levels killed him...
I think what killed him is -GOEs on three different jump elements. Were these warranted? I'm just having a hard time understanding how he got beaten by a guy with no 3A and 6 triples, not all of them clean, plus a quadless guy with two downgrades. Chan's overscoring seems more blatant to me, and I suspect Ant is right about the reason.

I really hope Brian shows up with a really good LP next season, to go along with his high-scoring SP, and screws up the Annointing of the Great Patrick.

And for our Canadian friends here at GS: this is not Canadian bashing; it's judges-bashing. Also, I like V/M.