Dube and Davison injured at WTT | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dube and Davison injured at WTT

Pairs skating is not an activity that tolerates lapses in concentration or inattention to detail. I hope they will think twice before deciding on their future.

i love to skate

Medalist
I think everyone is jumping to conclusions about this team saying they lack trust, concentration, and that they should switch partners. There is no way with Vancouver coming up that they are suddenly going to decide they do not trust each other and stop skating.

Yes it was a bad fall...I believe it was partly from the spotlight as they do not usually do a twist in their exhibition programs. They have received counselling in the past after their other accident and if they can come back from that and win a World Bronze medal the very next year I don't think anyone should be questioning their strength or trust in each other.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Yes, I saw it. It was quite eerie. The arena was very dark, and they were skating to some song which starts out, "When you try your best, but you don't succeed" The twist was the first real trick in the program. It was either a severely over rotated double or a severely underrotated triple.

Is there a video of this? I'm having a hard time imagining how it happened.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think everyone is jumping to conclusions about this team saying they lack trust, concentration, and that they should switch partners. There is no way with Vancouver coming up that they are suddenly going to decide they do not trust each other and stop skating.

Yes it was a bad fall...I believe it was partly from the spotlight as they do not usually do a twist in their exhibition programs. They have received counselling in the past after their other accident and if they can come back from that and win a World Bronze medal the very next year I don't think anyone should be questioning their strength or trust in each other.

There has been a major change in their personal relationship since their "other accident" and their World bronze. Their on-ice "chemistry", perhaps their greatest asset, hasn't been in evidence this season and that was reflected in their results.

Their personal issues are a distraction and may contribute to an eroded sense of trust between them, and that can lead to accidents. That is not to suggest that they should break up, but they do need to find a way to establish a different type of relationship that will work FOR them, not against them. Easier said than done, perhaps, but not impossible. Other pairs who were in relationships, broke up but went on to great success have done it: Steuer/Woetzel, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Bechke/Petrov, to name just a few.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is there a video of this? I'm having a hard time imagining how it happened.
There is a video, at least for the time being. It didn't look as bad as I thought it would (though obviously scary) because she seemed to fall on him first rather than straight onto the ice.*

I hope Jessica and Bryce can get past this and regain their on-ice chemistry.

* ETA: after looking at it again, I think I was wrong, she did fall right to the ice, and hit it pretty hard. The camera angle makes it hard to tell. It doesn't look as bad as the 2007 accident, though.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I've always found this pair scary because of some basic (lack of proper) technique issues. If I see a thread title "pairs accident" I would automatically think of them.

Also, apparently there are interpersonal trust issues as well (short hearsay version: they were a couple, split, she started dating a mutal friend and he reacted badly).

poor technique + lack of trust = disaster waiting to happen

I think they should call it a day and find new partners (and he needs to strenghthen up somewhat and they both need work on basic pairs technique).

I agree. Like Sale and Pellitier you could tell when they were having a good day with thier realtionship and when they were not. I never knew anything about thier personal lives, but if what you say is true, it coudl explain how wooden they have looked towards eachother this past year. I i think that thier problem lie in messing up element, but chemistry. the chinese have won world titles/medals without any cheamisty whatsover. If they get the triples down and try the 3 twist in competition they could greatly improvet thier world standing.

i love to skate

Medalist
There has been a major change in their personal relationship since their "other accident" and their World bronze. Their on-ice "chemistry", perhaps their greatest asset, hasn't been in evidence this season and that was reflected in their results.

I think their lack of chemistry has been partly due to their long program this year which did not play to their strengths. It was also reported that they had worked on their personal relationship right before Canadians and they had a really wonderful skate there. If you watch their 4CC exhibition you can see their chemistry emerge. It's not as if they are ignoring things they need to work on, and a relationship can't be changed over night. I really do not think this fall has anything to do with their relationship nor will it hamper it in the future.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Also, apparently there are interpersonal trust issues as well (short hearsay version: they were a couple, split, she started dating a mutal friend and he reacted badly).

I am just so nosey but who's the mutual friend? Someone told me that she was dating Scott Moir!!

Kypma

Final Flight
I am just so nosey but who's the mutual friend? Someone told me that she was dating Scott Moir!!

She still is, I believe Since last season, if I'm not mistaken. That being said, I hope Jessica and Bryce can fully recover from this, because when they're "on", they're great to watch, and the battle for the 2 Olympics spots in pairs next year will hopefully make our top 3 pairs that much better...

-Kypma

PS totally superficial comment, but Jessica looks gorgeous with her hair down! She should do that more often... although loose hair is probably not great for competition.

Last edited:

Andalusia

Final Flight
There is a video, at least for the time being. It didn't look as bad as I thought it would (though obviously scary) because she seemed to fall on him first rather than straight onto the ice.*

I hope Jessica and Bryce can get past this and regain their on-ice chemistry.

* ETA: after looking at it again, I think I was wrong, she did fall right to the ice, and hit it pretty hard. The camera angle makes it hard to tell. It doesn't look as bad as the 2007 accident, though.

Poor girl. :(

It didn't look as bad as I thought it would be - thankfully, she didn't crash head first onto the ice. It looked like Bryce's body helped to break the fall, and her legs absorbed the brunt of the impact. Really awful to see her crying on the ice like that...she seemed more traumatized than hurt. Also good to see the audience behaving so respectfully and all the lights dimming, instead of shining the spotlight on them or anything like that.

I've never seen this pair before, so I don't know if their twists are usually on the lower side, but luckily in this case it wasn't as high as the twists of some of the Russians or Chinese.

gold12345

Medalist
I saw no signs of a blackout on his part.

She appears to have hit him in the head with her elbow. Even if that caused just a split second of vision problems, it could have affected his ability to catch her. But I think the main issue was that she only got 2.5 times around, which makes it much harder on his part to get her down smoothly. Their technique just isn't stellar on this element. Who knows why they were even trying it in an exhibition.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Why were Jessica and Bryce doing a 3 twist in a gala anyway. They obvoulsly are not comfortable doing it or they would put it in their competitive programs. Galas are supposed to be fun and easy for the skaters.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I wonder if the lighting had anything to do with it. Yes, seasoned skaters get use to it but still...I'd want the lights on for a trick like that.

Antilles

Medalist
They were likely trying it to get more mileage on the triple twist, since it needs work.

I wondered about the spotlight being turned off. An accident certainly isn't a show, but can skaters see particularly well on the ice if there are no spotlights?

i love to skate

Medalist
I wondered about the spotlight being turned off. An accident certainly isn't a show, but can skaters see particularly well on the ice if there are no spotlights?

I agree, I thought they should have turned on the arena lights instead of having them fumble around in the dark.