question about videography at competitions | Golden Skate

question about videography at competitions

penguin girl

Rinkside
I'm wondering if anyone knows answers to these questions:

1. At every local competition, there is one video company that does the "official" videos for the competition. Is this company hired by the rink, club, etc.? or are they independent?

2. Is it legal to use your own video camera to videotape your skater (local competitions only--not regional/sectional/national)?

3. Is it legal to video tape another skater and sell the video to the family?

4. Is it possible to have 2 or more video companies at a competition? Are there areas where there are more than one video company competing at a competition?

uss8

Spectator
I'm wondering if anyone knows answers to these questions:

1. At every local competition, there is one video company that does the "official" videos for the competition. Is this company hired by the rink, club, etc.? or are they independent?

There is no one answer to this. Different clubs in different parts of the country contract things differently. You would have to ask at the particular competition you are attending to find out. Read the competition announcement, it usually spells out their video policy.

2. Is it legal to use your own video camera to videotape your skater (local competitions only--not regional/sectional/national)?

Usually you can video your own skater, but again, it all depends on the contract that that particular club has.

This would almost definitely be a no-no. Almost all contracts would have a clause about this in, but again, you need to check at the competition you are attending.

4. Is it possible to have 2 or more video companies at a competition? Are there areas where there are more than one video company competing at a competition?

Very doubtful that there would be more than one company at a competition. Maybe at a large competition on multi surfaces the main video company might have to sub contract out, but there would usually only be one company as the main.

Video at a competition are there as a vendor. Vendors usually give a percentage of their take to the host club to help them meet expenses.

That is one reason why host clubs do watch for people video taping whole events. Another reason clubs watch people in the stands for video taping is because of some illegal uses . This includes but not limited to selling videos for profit, posting videos of others publicly without permission and unfortunately, pedophiles.

Tammi

On the Ice
With the exception of qualifying events, it's the LOC who typically hires the vendors (video, photographer).

Unless there is a posted policy, this usually is not a problem

Not a lawyer, so I can't answer the legal question, but unless you were hired as the official videographer, then I have to think that this is not an acceptable practice. For what it's worth, we have removed people from events who are known to take pictures and try to sell them to the parents afterwards.

None that I'm aware of. I don't imagine it would be good business to compete with another video company for the same event. With IJS, I think clubs form an attachment to a particular company because they are also good at taking the video for techinal panel reviews during the competition.