Strange trend in ladies.... | Golden Skate

Strange trend in ladies....

Mafke

Medalist
It just now occurred to me that there is a very strange trend going on in ladies and I don't know if anyone has really picked up on it or wondered what it might mean.

The trend is the world champion finishing off the podium the next year.

working backwards

2008 Asada 2009 4th
2007 Ando 2008 WD
2006 Meissner 2007 4th
2005 Slutskaya 2006 DNC
2004 Arakawa 2005 9th

In other words the last ladies world champion to finish on the podium the next year is ... Kwan (just as she's the last ladies champion to successfully defend the title).

I'm not sure what what it means I find it definitely odd that the last three ladies world champions to try to defend their titles (and made it thru the competition) finished off the podium.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had picked up on this trend, and I've actually been wondering if it could be an omen that Yu-Na retires after Vancouver. Not that I hope that happens, as I really like Yu-Na, but the possibility has entered my mind given the trend and the rumors circulating Kim's post-2010 Olympic retirement.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Well, a case can be made for Irina. She was already exhausted by the Olympics and I believe, without her medication, she wasn't at her peak form like in 2005 by the time of Torino, let alone Calgary.

I suppose a case can be made for Mao, who is/was fixing her jump technique and trying to incorporate harder elements into her programs. I believe she used this season as a strategic sacrifice for next season. Though, it's a shame that she missed the 3A after standing up on it throughout the season. IMHO, Mao and Kimmie's 4th place finishes after their win wasn't too bad.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't really know if one can call this a "trend." It could be due to the fact that each season new skaters are coming on the scene and really giving the "seasoned vets" a run for their money. Also with amount of competitions these skaters now take part it's pretty hard on them. We have all seen the phenoms (tara lipinski, Oksana Baiul) come and win an Olympic medal and then go. It happens. Figure skating is an expensive sport and also a tough sport to stay on top of one's game. Even in the "old school" of figure skating days, skaters did not hang around long after winning a world title. Most, would join a skating show or teach. So really, not a new trend...

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
I don't really know if one can call this a "trend." It could be due to the fact that each season new skaters are coming on the scene and really giving the "seasoned vets" a run for their money. Also with amount of competitions these skaters now take part it's pretty hard on them. We have all seen the phenoms (tara lipinski, Oksana Baiul) come and win an Olympic medal and then go. It happens. Figure skating is an expensive sport and also a tough sport to stay on top of one's game. Even in the "old school" of figure skating days, skaters did not hang around long after winning a world title. Most, would join a skating show or teach. So really, not a new trend...

Wow, great post! I agree. Those ladies that stick around and are still the best are few and far in between.

Michelle'sFan

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
LOVE IT!!! What this proves is that :bow:Michelle Kwan:bow: is simply the best figure skater in the history of figure skating... and that's the way it goes... great skaters come and go but :bow:KWAN:bow: remains the bestest EVER!!!:yes:

(toni - I'm back after a brief vaca and on my way to that 2k post... AND its off season... Girl.)

Mafke

Medalist
I don't really know if one can call this a "trend." ...So really, not a new trend...

Except that I can't think of ever happening before (going back to the 1950's)

Before 2005, no defending world champion had placed off the podium.

IIRC Elaine Zayak withdrew during the competition in1983 (like Ando in 2008) and a couple of times a skater over the course of two seasons found themselves off the podium (Ito 1989-1991, Chen, 1995-1997, Butyrskaya 1999-2001) But I can't think of a single defending champion who finished the competition and was off the podium the very next year. And that has happened three times in the last five years. I think that's .... weird.

bekalc

Record Breaker
But I can't think of a single defending champion who finished the competition and was off the podium the very next year. And that has happened three times in the last five years. I think that's .... weird.

But if you look at the circumstances it's not so weird.

Arakawa-she was dealing with injuries, motivation problems, and struggling to adapt to the new system

Irina-she medaled at the Olympics, and given that she was going to retire anyways, was emotionally exhausted, and her illness decided not to go to Worlds. Lots of Olympic medalists don't go to worlds that year.

Meissner- Meissner as a junior was losing to Miki Ando, Asada, and Kim...None of those girls were there at the Worlds she won. (Ando because she was having a bad Olympic season, Asada and Kim because they were too young) There's nothing strange about Meissner being behind all three of those skaters.

Ando-injured.

Mao Asada-Now this is a weird one, but it seems she was struggling with changing her technique etc and others improved.

The only two people whose placements are a shock are Asada's and Shizuka's.

MasterB

Final Flight
It's the mentality of "After Worlds, What Next?"

Being that next year is the Olympics, Yuna might not do so bad. Olympics is the next FRONTIER. Kwan is an unusual case, she is an animal all the way. I hope she comes back and gives us one final stellar performance, even if she doesn't come close to winning, by today's standards. Kwan at her best will rock the house.

Binthere

On the Ice
Part of it could be that under code of points it does seem at least somewhat more difficult to 'hold a champion up' especially in the singles disciplines. Also, events are perhaps that much more competitive? So many champions have said it before as well, it is so much more difficult to DEFEND a title, than to challenge for one. A whole different set of pressures.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Before 2005, no defending world champion had placed off the podium.

Also, 2002 defending World Champion Irina Slutskaya withdrew from 2003 Worlds to take care of her mother during her serious illness. It was very strange to have a post-Olympics Worlds where all the top 3 Olympic ladies were maintaining their eligibility: Hughes, Slutskaya, and Kwan, along with Cohen, Suguri, Sokolova, etc. Unfortunately, Irina's tragic personal life and withdrawal and Sarah's loss of fitness and technical ability resulting in a 6th place finish put a damper on that World Championship and the competition it was hyped up to be.

Last edited: