2009/2010 Programs | Golden Skate

2009/2010 Programs

lmarie086

Medalist
We had a similar thread this past season and it was really helpful (thanks again dorispulaski for keeping it up to date and so organized! :rock: ). I realize it's very early yet, but as news comes out we can all post it here.

Should we also do a cliff notes version as more skaters announce their music as time goes on? A lot of posters requested that last season.

Yukari Nakano (as posted by Morning Glory (thanks btw!)
SP--The Phantom of the Opera from Phantasia
FP--The Firebird

Both are choreographed by Marina Zueva

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yes, it would be good to have all the 2009-10 programs listed in one place. A couple of reports on skaters keeping their programs:

Brian Joubert - will continue with the same SP, Rise by Safri Duo... hopefully with a different start to the program! LP is currently undecided but definitely something new. This was from an interview somewhere, can't remember where exactly.

Vanessa James and Yannick Bonheur are keeping their R&J LP (as per their recent interview with Passion Patinage). Well, it is an Olympic season after all ;). But I would have rather they recycled their SP instead.

Kypma

Final Flight
I love Dube and Davison, but their programs kind of sucked this year. I hope they add some spark to their program because there wasn't any during this season. I hope they can do it!

I unfortunately kind of have to agree with that statement, skatingbc. Although I think that, given the extra time, they'll be able to create a good Carmen if Jessica lets go a little and really performs -- often, I find the program lacks the character necessary for a good portrayal of Carmen the temptress. If you look back at their 2006 SP, Por una cabeza, it had more playfulness to it (especially in the move where Jessica backs away and playfully "dares" Bryce to approach her) and even that kind of performance would be better than the reserved Carmen we've seen from them this season. I suppose they wanted to stay away from romance for now, which is understandable, but I'd like to see more passion. Also, I think that, changing the SP is definitely a good idea -- I wasn't fond of the music and found that the program lacked direction, a little.

Here's to hoping next season will be better for them,

-Kypma

lmarie086

Medalist
I think I read somewhere that Patrick Chan plans to keep one of his programs? If so I hope it's the SP- it was one of my favorites of the entire men's field this past season. His LP, on the other hand, was one of my least favorite LPs of the entire field. So I'm hoping he keeps the SP.

And Buttercup, I wish James/Bonheur were keeping the SP instead as well.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I think I read somewhere that Patrick Chan plans to keep one of his programs? If so I hope it's the SP- it was one of my favorites of the entire men's field this past season. His LP, on the other hand, was one of my least favorite LPs of the entire field. So I'm hoping he keeps the SP.

I agree about wanting him to keep his short. I loved his long, but I know that's a personal thing. I think mostly because I adore Rachmaninoff and don't care how many times it is repeated and because I love Patrick's skating. I woud like to see him branch out a little though. Not as far as techno please (like Patrick would ever skate to techno anyway), but something more modern/contemporary?

chloe

Rinkside
I like Olympic games cause all the different cuts of Carmen appear in Olympic Year!:biggrin:
This piece of music works somehow for everybody!

Binthere

On the Ice
Personally, I thought the more romantic approaches taken by Dube/Davison worked better for them than Carmen. I love their skating but find it a stretch to have Jessica portray that role :unsure:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I agree with the posters who say that Carmen does not appear to be the best vehicle for Dube/Davison to showcase their skating, but I'm personally just glad that they're not keeping their Coldplay muzak SP that never fails to put me to sleep everytime I try to watch it.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
we'll probably have cliff notes closer to the begining of the season.... :)

NO! That program was quite awful for them. They did not seem comfortable skating it and the choreography was non-existent. I guess there always has to be at least one Carmen at the olympics.
I agree. Big mistake. That was the ugliest Carmen ever! (Not their skating but the version of the music.)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think I read somewhere that Patrick Chan plans to keep one of his programs? If so I hope it's the SP- it was one of my favorites of the entire men's field this past season. His LP, on the other hand, was one of my least favorite LPs of the entire field.
I read Chan was keeping the LP, which shows questionnable judgement IMO. He rarely skated it clean and it was sleep-inducing. His SP was much more enjoyable, even though I'm not a fan I think it was a pretty good program for him. I agree with skatingbc that he should be trying something a bit more modern. Maybe he should drop by and look at the film score thread ;).

Over on Passion Patinage, someone said that Florent Amodio will be skating a hip-hop SP and a blues LP, with Stanick Jeannette doing the choreo. I've no idea if this is actually true.

ANW

On the Ice
Yukari even picked her Ex. pieces and she is preparing two of them :biggrin:
Ex 1. Harem by Sarah Brightman
Ex 2. Sparkling Diamonds by Nicole Kidman

We had a similar thread this past season and it was really helpful (thanks again dorispulaski for keeping it up to date and so organized! :rock: ). I realize it's very early yet, but as news comes out we can all post it here.

Should we also do a cliff notes version as more skaters announce their music as time goes on? A lot of posters requested that last season.

FP--The Firebird

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I read Chan was keeping the LP, which shows questionnable judgement IMO. He rarely skated it clean and it was sleep-inducing. His SP was much more enjoyable, even though I'm not a fan I think it was a pretty good program for him.

I liked both his programs, but I actually liked the LP more. The music cuts were all beautiful....but maybe that is just becuase I am a sucker for Rachmainov. :love:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Another update from Passion Patinage about another French skater keeping a 2008-9 program: Yannick Ponsero will have a new SP (hopefully with a better costume than this year), but will keep his LP. He may make some minor changes to it.

OT, my reading comprehension in French is getting much better... I actually understood quite a bit of Yannick's interview without resorting to translations! So clearly my occasionally excessive interest in skating has had some positive effects! ;) If only my French class curriculum in high school had been like this :).

Tinymavy, I've nothing against Rachmaninov, but I've seen so many programs choreographed to selections from his music, and I don't feel there was anything particularly interesting or engaging about Chan's interpretation. I think Patrick should call Jeff and ask him for advice on music and choreo; maybe he'll end up with something a bit more original that would resonate with him more.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's never a good idea to use the same FS twice in a row, especially for the Olympics. The judges will expect a perfect performance, and if it is not forthcoming, they may penalize the skater more than they might have if it were a new program.

Considering that Chan didn't skate clean at the two biggest events of 2009 (GPF and Worlds), I think it's a huge risk to plan a repeat program for Vancouver.

Nadine

Record Breaker

FP--The Firebird

Thanks for posting this ~ yeah for Yukari :clap: ~ Firebird is perfect for her, the mythologicial bird that arises from the ashes, and from the land of the rising sun no less!

I still have the postcard she sent me when I congratulated her on becoming the third woman in history to land the triple axel in competition at the 2002 Skate America, on the day of my birthday no less! :love:

Looking forward to seeing what everybody else has chosen for the Olympic season as well. :)

i love to skate

Medalist
It's never a good idea to use the same FS twice in a row, especially for the Olympics. The judges will expect a perfect performance, and if it is not forthcoming, they may penalize the skater more than they might have if it were a new program.

Considering that Chan didn't skate clean at the two biggest events of 2009 (GPF and Worlds), I think it's a huge risk to plan a repeat program for Vancouver.

I don't think it's a huge risk at all, repeating a program offers a level of comfort and allows the skater to take more time in perfecting the program rather than having to learn a new one over the summer. I think it reduces the stress levels quite a bit. Also, I don't think the judges would penalize more for a repeat program. IMO that is quite an odd statement.