Washington State withholds expected financial support for 2010 U.S. Nationals | Golden Skate

Washington State withholds expected financial support for 2010 U.S. Nationals

Washington State withholds expected financial support for 2010 U.S. Nationals

http://www.kxly.com/Global/story.asp?S=10275925

Thanks to Genevieve and Sylvia for posting this on FSU.

Part of the deal for the City of Spokane to get the rights to host U.S. Nationals was a promise to pay the USFSA 1.2 million dollars. Half of this was expected to come from the State of Washingon, and half from local civic groups. Now the state legislature has cut that line item out of the budget.

Local tourism promoters are hoping to make up the difference by the time the payment is due in January. The event promoters expect (no doubt optimistically) that the championships will generate 25 million dollars for local hotels, restaurants, etc., and bring in 2 million dollars to the state in tax revenue.

Over 100,000 tickets have been sold already. The event organizers do not expect this bump in the road to jeopardize the event, but it might mean a little belt tightening.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i can't believe they are having trouble with the olympic qualifier. If the event actually taking place is actually jepordized...i don't know what will happen!

Tammi

On the Ice
I remember that it was reported back in January, that the states proposed budget didn't include the $600,000 matching funding. It sounds like the LOC has spent the time working on a Plan B (could include securing additional sponsors and re-negotiating expenses). Unfortunately, the combination of the 2 weekend Championship format and the current economic issues will have an impact on the event.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
i can't believe they are having trouble with the olympic qualifier.

As I understand the new rules, this event is not the Olympic qualifier. The USFSA will use this event, as well as others, to determine who will go to the Olympics. I think it is still the Worlds qualifier.

merrybari

Final Flight
As I understand the new rules, this event is not the Olympic qualifier. The USFSA will use this event, as well as others, to determine who will go to the Olympics. I think it is still the Worlds qualifier.

This is the first I've heard of that. Please expand - on source, etc. Those "new" rules are downright confusing - to me anyway. Plain language would be most helpful.

To further add my two cents, I do think the two weekend format has had a negative impact. Dumb idea, imo, no matter how they try to justify it. I still think it was NBC driven.

This is the first I've heard of that. Please expand - on source, etc. Those "new" rules are downright confusing - to me anyway. Plain language would be most helpful.

USFSA by-laws, scroll down to pages 67 and 68.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/2008-09 RB Part 1 Bylaws.pdf

For Worlds, the U.S. champion must be sent. For the Olympics, there is a list of things that are taken into account, like results of last years Worlds, etc. Placement at U.S. Nationals still heads the list, but the by-laws stop short of saying absolutely that the U.S. champion must be sent come hell or high water.

The nominal reason given for this rule change is to give the USFSA more flexibility in choosing the Olympic team.

I think the real reason is this. Someone noticed a loophole that if the U.S. Championship is the official and sole Olympic qualifying event for figure skating, then it falls under the authority of the USOC. The USOC could, in principle, take it over (or maybe even make the USFSA give them some of the money.)

I don't think it is actually a substantive change. Lacking a Michelle Kwan or a Todd Eldredge that they might want to make special accommodations for, I think the USFSA will send the U.S. champion and then go down the list of Nationals placements to fill the other spots, as they always have.

Last edited:
^^^
Still, every skater has his/her bad day on the ice, and not unusual for a splat fest. The USFS should consider more than just the National results.

Still, every skater has his/her bad day on the ice, and not unusual for a splat fest. The USFS should consider more than just the National results.

I think the fall season will be very exciting as the skaters try to establish themsleves as front-runners leading up to nationals. I especially look forward to seeing whether Ashley or Mirai can challenge Caroline and Rachael for favored status.

Having momentum coming into nationals might save them some points with the judges in Spokane, even if they falter a little there.

I also hope for some newcomer to surprise us by jumping into the nationals picture. :yes:

merrybari

Final Flight
USFSA by-laws, scroll down to pages 67 and 68.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/2008-09 RB Part 1 Bylaws.pdf

For Worlds, the U.S. champion must be sent. For the Olympics, there is a list of things that are taken into account, like results of last years Worlds, etc. Placement at U.S. Nationals still heads the list, but the by-laws stop short of saying absolutely that the U.S. champion must be sent come hell or high water.

The nominal reason given for this rule change is to give the USFSA more flexibility in choosing the Olympic team.

I think the real reason is this. Someone noticed a loophole that if the U.S. Championship is the official and sole Olympic qualifying event for figure skating, then it falls under the authority of the USOC. The USOC could, in principle, take it over (or maybe even make the USFSA give them some of the money.)

I don't think it is actually a substantive change. Lacking a Michelle Kwan or a Todd Eldredge that they might want to make special accommodations for, I think the USFSA will send the U.S. champion and then go down the list of Nationals placements to fill the other spots, as they always have.

Thank you for your clear and concise explanation. :agree: