Michelle in Parade | Golden Skate

Michelle in Parade

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I scanned this and hope it works. Sorry, it didn't work. :mad: :mad: Anyhow, it was in Sunday's Parade and the question basically was how long can a skater compete. Michelle was compared to Sonja Henie's record and speaks of Henie's Gold Medal, the article says a prize that still eludes Kwan. But to answer the original question, the article says -- until their legs - heart - give out. I thought it was a poorly written piece.

Dee

Last edited:
Dee, you can't upload files from your own computer to GS, if that's what you wanted to do. I'm sorry I missed the article, though.

Mathman

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
It wasn't an article - it was a question on the Personality Parade page of the Parade magazine (in most Sunday papers, the page is on the inside cover page). The question was (and I'm just trying to paraphrase from what I remember): Is Michelle's 5 World Championships a record? As most of us know, Sonja Henie holds the record with 10 World Championships. Basically, the Parade answer said that Michelle had a long way to go to match that record and would/could compete until her legs - or heart - gave out. I can't remember if there was a picture of her with the question, but I will check when I get home.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

ladybug

On the Ice
I think by the reply ----until their legs or heart give out ---they mean the desire to skate ---- not like a heart attack.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Dee4707:

I think that last bit was a metaphor. At some point Michelle could run out of steam or just get tired of the chase for the Olympic gold medal.

Most skaters seem to feel they can't give up that elusive hunt for the Olympic gold. Even Elvis was going to give it one more go but changed his mind.

Sonja Henie lived in a different time period. Skaters were not doing triple and quad jumps in those days - it was the figures that decided the outcome. So who knows how long Michelle or any of the skaters will be able to compete? I think it depends on their stamina and pocket books.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Lad, your right. The article just didn't set right with me.

TaraFanatic4eva, I sent you a message.

Dee

No matter how one can compare the greatest skater that ever lived with someone other than Sonia is someone, imo, without a sense of history. While saying that, I have seen skaters of that era better, imo, than Sonia but Sonia won the stats, and that's what sports are all about.

As for current skaters being better, I could add that the current record holder of most World Championships is already quite a grand historic figure in figure skating.

Joe