Thoughts on 2009-2010 ISU Ice Dance guidelines | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on 2009-2010 ISU Ice Dance guidelines

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What about a more Tejano music style? Do you think that wouldn't fly since it's not "American" enough? It'd be kinda interesting to see what a team could do with a Selena mix. Haha. =D

I don't see why Tejano can't be used. Wester and Barantsev, if they are still competing, as Texas residents could certainly claim it!

Or the Cumbia (this one from Austin!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjV...C4F155F21&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

Or the TexMex polka -here's one from San Antonio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsc5...4F155F21&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=22

BTW, I loved S&G's O Brother Where Art Thou OD too! :love:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Remember what happened when B/A tried to use Appalachian folk music? The ISU judges "didn't understand it" and told them to use cowboy music instead. And STILL didn't like it.

I was going to point that out as well...

but then, we don't want the N. Americans winning in ice dance, right? ;)

Tammi

On the Ice
That sounds likely. However, the country waltz is still on the OD list for next year, while both Juniors and Seniors have waltz CD's: Westminster for the Juniors and Golden for the seniors.
Right, no stipulations about the waltzes, other than it should be very distant from the feeling of the Grand Ballroom, which probably covers it. Again though, it's still fairly vague and I know we're trying to cover all bases before putting together a final product.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I'm really happy the ISU have chosen folk dances for the olys. Not only are they uber entertaining, but they're what the olympicas are all about.

Here's a couple of dances I'd like to see (that haven't already been done):
- Hava Nagila (that would be so much fun!)
- Morris dancing :rofl:
- Irish dancing
- Hutsul dancing
- Chinese dacing (you never get to see it)

Jeez, what the hell was the ISU thinking when recommanding to use your own traditional dances?
It's also so ambiguous and vague on what the meaning is of many directives in figure skating are..

Let's face it - the ISU is trying to be entertaining which, imo, loses a lot competitive requirements. We will be seeing a lot of variations on Ukrainian folk dances and American swing dances.

Be specific, ISU!!! or if you must, a choice of two not necessarily folk but like European or Carribbean Dances.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Jeez, what the hell was the ISU thinking when recommanding to use your own traditional dances? If everyone did that, it would mean no flamencos or tangos at all, but tons of Russian folk dances! Pleaso, no more Russian folk dances!
Anyway, why don't they let them do whatever they want, what's the reason for this recommandation? Many couples have already done that last time, and Belbin & Agosto were even penalized for it.
I just hope everyone will be creative with their choices and we'll see many great dances!

I think it's to avoid people doing dances that they don't understand. I remember the second British couple's sirtaki, it was dreadful - they should have done something that they actually got.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm really happy the ISU have chosen folk dances for the olys. Not only are they uber entertaining, but they're what the olympics are all about.

- Hutsul dancing

Any links for Chinese dancing, since we never get to see it? We certainly did not get it from the Chinese teams in 2008.

Huang & Zheng did Russian.
Yu & Wang actually did Havah Nagila

Tammi

On the Ice
I'm really happy the ISU have chosen folk dances for the olys. Not only are they uber entertaining, but they're what the olympicas are all about.

- Irish dancing
- Hutsul dancing
If you have access to Ice Network, there are some US dancers who skated to a few of the themes you have noted above. It would be under the January 2008 archive.

Junior team Shannon Wingle/Ryan Deveraux - Hava Nagila
Junior team Piper Gilles/Tim McKernan - Irish (also Farrell/Fishpaw and Denis/Petukhov had an Irish theme, just not quite as authentic IMO as Gilles/McKernan)
It's not Chinese, but the Junior team of Maia & Alex Shibutani skated to a beautiful Japanese theme.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Only one thing is sure:
Domnina and Shabalin will dance a Waltz ( an ancient, traditional Russian one ) :rofl:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
If you have access to Ice Network, there are some US dancers who skated to a few of the themes you have noted above. It would be under the January 2008 archive.

Junior team Shannon Wingle/Ryan Deveraux - Hava Nagila
Junior team Piper Gilles/Tim McKernan - Irish (also Farrell/Fishpaw and Denis/Petukhov had an Irish theme, just not quite as authentic IMO as Gilles/McKernan)
It's not Chinese, but the Junior team of Maia & Alex Shibutani skated to a beautiful Japanese theme.

Thanks for the information!
It would be nice though to see those dances done by seniors, at the Olys.

Only one thing is sure:
Domnina and Shabalin will dance a Waltz ( an ancient, traditional Russian one ) :rofl:

:rofl: You said it! Another thing that is sure: somehow the judges will accept it as being a folk/country dance, even though it isn't!

life684

Final Flight

- Irish dancing
- Hutsul dancing

Add African Dancing and Indian(both American and South asian) to that list, but that seems impossible with these rules.

Tammi

On the Ice
Add African Dancing and Indian(both American and South asian) to that list, but that seems impossible with these rules.
During the 2008 season, Canadian dancers Ralph/Hill and US dancers Navarro/Bommentre & Cannuscio/Lorello all had an African theme. US dancers Maxwell/Traxler did American Indian. I think provided they stay away from the rhythms used in the CD's that year, they should be okay.

Hopefully the international judges will have a more open mind this time around and teams will stretch out and not play it safe.

Mafke

Medalist
I;m not sure that i am ready for disco yet. A whole season of " Ah ah ah stayin alive", finger pointing, and pelvic thrusts :eek:

There are _tons_ of great disco songs (and disco is really the last great couple dance tradition in western culture).

There are the warhorses:

I will survive, Stayin' Alive, Do the hustle, Le Freak etc, We are Family, Hot stuff etc.

But there's tons more (don. I would _drool_ for a disco OD.

:rock::agree::clap::chorus::bow:

I have to say that 50's, 60's, 70's seems like a hot mess of pandering to the lowest common denominator.

life684

Final Flight

- Irish dancing
- Hutsul dancing

Choreographing the chinese dance could be difficult especially understanding specific moves of the dances, this i believe is partly the reason why we ended up seeing so many Kalinka (most choreographer are russian or are used to this kind of dancing )

beep_beep

Medalist
I'm pretty sure they did some editing to the original document. I think the original version probably looked something like this:
Dear Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin:
a) The incorrect selection of music for the rhythms/dances chosen must be penalized.
Sincerely, the ISU
:p

I guess that the suggestion for teams to use folk music from their own countries has something to do with avoiding some 20 kalinka, gypsies and gopaks from, say, Mexican skaters (I know there aren't any mexicans right now, it was just for example... what happened to the Muñanas by the way?).

And this just disheartened me
*NOTE: Even if there is a proposal on the Agenda of the Congress 2010 to have only two segments for Ice Dance
events, the current Constitution requires that the Compulsory Dances and the rhythms for the Original Dance
2010/2011 are announced in this Communication.

Like, yeah, we put finnstep there to make you happy, but keep in mind there might not be compulsories next season...hahaha