A letter from Yu-Na to her fans. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A letter from Yu-Na to her fans.

^ Check Evangeline's post again. OK, the "crazed" part is unnecessary. ;)

But the grammatical construction "If only" is used like this: "If only we could all read the works of Lao Tze!"

Meaning, "If everyone would read these works the world would be a better place."

Thus, "If only the overenthusiastic fans of Yu-na would read this letter!"

Well, maybe Evangeline will come back and explain if this is what she meant or not. :)

jenny

Rinkside

But the grammatical construction "If only" is used like this: "If only we could all read the works of Lao Tze!"

Meaning, "If everyone would read these works the world would be a better place."

Well, maybe Evangeline will come back and explain if this is what she meant or not. :)

"if only..." used to express a wish that something had happened or would happen.

Thus, it could be this meaning, " he wish Yu-na's crazed uber-fans would read this letter" .

anyway, i don't like this expression "crazed uber-fans", that is an ill-favored word.

Last edited:

szidon

On the Ice

Mathman, you're right. Posters including me might misunderstand Evangeline's point.

But I'd like to say that there are definitely other skaters' crazed uber fans if there are Yu-na's uber fans. Such a fact's easily forgotten sometimes, though.

Anyway I can't agree with Evangeline's point more in that Yu-na is so mature and thoughtful given her age.

Last edited:
"if only..." used to express a wish that something had happened or would happen.

Thus, it could be this meaning, " he wish only Yu-na's crazed uber-fans would read this letter"

The "only" is part of the phrase "if only." "If only," the two words together, express the wish. She is not saying "only Yu-na's fans," That is a different use of the word "only" (exclusively.)

Anyway, the main thing is:

Jenny said:
It is natural for people to go into raptures over great skater like Yu-na. Korean fans are crazy over not only Yu-na but all skaters.

I applaud. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judging by the reaction of the audience at the World Championships in Los Angeles, Yu-na has a great many enthusiastic fans in America, too. I hope she competes at Skate America again this year. :agree:

jenny

Rinkside
The "only" is part of the phrase "if only." "If only," the two words together, express the wish. She is not saying "only Yu-na's fans," That is a different use of the word "only" (exclusively.)

Judging by the reaction of the audience at the World Championships in Los Angeles, Yu-na has a great many enthusiastic fans in America, too. I hope she competes at Skate America again this year. :agree:

you're right. i did mistake. "only" in that sentence must be removed.

and i hope Yu-na and Sasha would compete together at Skate America this year.

i really like Sasha and Yu-na who have outstanding musical interpretation.:)

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Well! I had no idea that my post from awhile ago would cause such a fervor here...

Anyways, to clarify my point: as Mathman correctly pointed out (thank you for valiantly coming to my defense, Mathman!:rock:), what I meant was that Yu-Na's letter was a very mature and thoughtful letter, worthy of even Michelle Kwan-levels of sportsmanship and poise. I hoped that figure skating fans, including certain elements of Yu-Na's fans, would take her lovely letter to heart and be as mature and thoughtful as Yu-Na herself before engaging in their more...zealous activities.

However, I did not mean that all of Yu-Na's fans were "crazed uber-fans," but certain uber-fans who propagate Youtube and forums like Goldenskate with malicious posts and videos denigrating Yu-Na's rivals or over-react vehemently to any perceived slights to Yu-Na. And of course--as szidon points out--Yu-Na's uber-fans are hardly alone in these sorts of activities.

And for the record, I myself am a Yu-Na fan; I will be very happy if she wins the Olympics. That being said, I am also a Mao fan and will also be happy if Mao wins as well (contrary to popular opinion, liking the two is not mutually exclusive). Heck, I hope everyone would skate their best during the Olympics, so we will all be treated to a fantastic night of skating and I will be safe knowing one of my favourites will be Olympic champion. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought Yuna's letter to her fans was very nice. I am also a fan of both Yuna and Mao and even though they are the two favorites for Gold anything can happen in Vancouver. Mao has been almost "Miki-like" with her inconsistent skating this past year. Yuna was healthy for the first time in two seasons but she appears injury prone. (Of course to hear it from her fans one might think Yuna is the only skater who has ever competed with injuries.)

I can feel the pressure building on Yuna and it feels very similar to what Midori went through back in '92. It is really not fair and I think Yuna is a wonderful skater. Part of me hopes she wins in Vancouver because I doubt if her body will hold up for another run in 2014. Mao seems to have a better shot at continuing on after Vancouver - probably with a new coach(s) while she goes on in "Irina like" fashion trying to figure out what type of skater she wants to be and how best to present herself.

Aside from all that, I did think Yuna's letter was very nice. But it does also feel like a not so subtle message to her fans and the Korean public in general.
I hope Yuna and Mao enjoy their Olympic experience but think it will be very difficult for them due to the expectations and rivalry between their respective countries.

jenny

Rinkside
Well! I had no idea that my post from awhile ago would cause such a fervor here...

Anyways, to clarify my point: as Mathman correctly pointed out (thank you for valiantly coming to my defense, Mathman!:rock:), what I meant was that Yu-Na's letter was a very mature and thoughtful letter, worthy of even Michelle Kwan-levels of sportsmanship and poise. I hoped that figure skating fans, including certain elements of Yu-Na's fans, would take her lovely letter to heart and be as mature and thoughtful as Yu-Na herself before engaging in their more...zealous activities.

However, I did not mean that all of Yu-Na's fans were "crazed uber-fans," but certain uber-fans who propagate Youtube and forums like Goldenskate with malicious posts and videos denigrating Yu-Na's rivals or over-react vehemently to any perceived slights to Yu-Na. And of course--as szidon points out--Yu-Na's uber-fans are hardly alone in these sorts of activities.

And for the record, I myself am a Yu-Na fan; I will be very happy if she wins the Olympics. That being said, I am also a Mao fan and will also be happy if Mao wins as well (contrary to popular opinion, liking the two is not mutually exclusive). Heck, I hope everyone would skate their best during the Olympics, so we will all be treated to a fantastic night of skating and I will be safe knowing one of my favourites will be Olympic champion. :)

your fisrt post. "Now, if only Yu-Na's crazed uber-fans will read this...

if you don't want to misunderstand your meaning, please write complete sentence.

sorry, your short if-clause can't feel the your meaning at all.

maybe some people including me could misunderstand you.

and be careful using the word "crazed uber-fans".

As you did read this too,

it's not true that just only "crazed uber-fans" would read this letter.

and Yu-na's general fan who read this letter could feel unpleasant.

Last edited:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Count me in on that Mathman... I really would like to see Kim Yu Na, Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan go head to head at Skate America. We're waiting Michelle! :clap:

sunrock

Rinkside
if you don't want to misunderstand your message, please write complete sentence.

:rofl: Look who's talking! evangeline's post makes perfect sense for those of us who understand the English language. Your posts, on the other hand, are hard to decipher.
evangeline wrote an asinine comment and you were way too over sensitive about it. Relax, lady. It's so much easier to ignore than to pick a fight.

babyalligator

On the Ice
I'm guessing that english isn't jenny's first language (judging from her posts), so that may have accounted for her "hyper-sensitivity."
I'm sure evangeline wasn't talking about all yuna fans, but I can also understand that it can get a bit tiresome to read remarks poking fun at the extreme fans and can feel like general characterization at times. Youtube commentary has calmed down a lot, especially since most fans have realized that most of the people writing extreme remarks are doing so to provoke negative reaction more than to express any actual expression of support/lack of support. There are many reasonable yuna fans (just check out the yuna forum) who have been long-time fans of other skaters and still are.
That being said, I'm glad that Yuna wrote this letter. Fans, after seeing their favorite skaters be highly successful, can start to get a sense of entitlement when it comes to medalling...it has happened to myself in the past (think 1998 for a hint...haha). I think she has, however, demonstrated that she now knows why skating is so important to her. It's a piece of knowledge that is so integral to maintaining sanity when competing during a pressure cooker season like 2010. I think its wonderful to see her having blossomed from an awkward, sort of sad looking girl to a mature, more confident woman. :)

jenny

Rinkside
:rofl: Look who's talking! evangeline's post makes perfect sense for those of us who understand the English language. Your posts, on the other hand, are hard to decipher.
evangeline wrote an asinine comment and you were way too over sensitive about it. Relax, lady. It's so much easier to ignore than to pick a fight.

actually, i'm not good at englih. thank you for reminding me.:rock:

Last edited:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
evangeline wrote an asinine comment

Yet a true one?

Yun-a is a better person than many of her fans. That's true for a lot of skaters and celebrities in general. But in Yun-a's case, some of her fans seem more rabid and combative, such as the ones that constantly denigrate Mao and trash her all over the internet. So, I'd say evangeline's comment was right on.

jenny

Rinkside
Yet a true one?

Yun-a is a better person than many of her fans. That's true for a lot of skaters and celebrities in general. But in Yun-a's case, some of her fans seem more rabid and combative, such as the ones that constantly denigrate Mao and trash her all over the internet. So, I'd say evangeline's comment was right on.

YOU KNOW?

There are lots of mao's ugly fans on internet who speak ill of Yu-na and her fan without reason.

I correct "ugly" adjective position.
it was not meaning that Mao was ugly. she is beautiful.
I made a mistake for my english is unskillful.

Last edited:

babyalligator

On the Ice
particleman, I think we should be fair. and jenny, there is no reason to put the adjective ugly in there.
This baiting behavior occurs on both sides. I have seen comments made in poor taste as well as inappropriate behavior by those who claim to be yuna fans and those who claim to be mao fans. Negative videos have been uploaded by both camps. At the same time, there are positive comments made by yuna fans to mao and by mao fans to yuna and of course there are the many people, who like me, are fans of both skaters.
Further negativity and generalizations do not produce anything positive. In other words, two wrongs do not make a right. The perpetuation of the false idea that one skater's fans are more "rabid" than the other is unhelpful. So is responding to perceived insult with another insult from knee-jerk behavior as opposed to thinking things through from a more calm standpoint.

janetfan

Match Penalty
quote babyalligator "The perpetuation of the false idea that one skater's fans are more "rabid" than the other is unhelpful."

I agree and find fans of Yuna and Mao equally rabid.

evangeline

Record Breaker
your fisrt post. "Now, if only Yu-Na's crazed uber-fans will read this...

if you don't want to misunderstand your message, please write complete sentence.

sorry, your short if-clause can't feel the your meaning at all.

maybe some people including me could misunderstand you.

and be careful using the word "crazed uber-fans".

As you did read this too,

it's not true that just only "crazed uber-fans" would read this letter.

and Yu-na's general fan who read this letter could feel unpleasant.

As others have pointed out, this seems more of a misunderstanding caused by English as a second language, but in response to your comments I'd still suggest you read my second post again very carefully. I've said everything I wanted to say and I don't know if I can convince you otherwise if you don't understand the meaning of that post.

If you still don't understand, I will only say that if Mao Asada wrote a similar letter, I would have probably written the exact same comment in regards to Mao's uber-fans.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Just wanted to chime in that I didn't find your OP asinine at all, evangeline. Makes perfect sense to me!

Yu-Na nutjobs do seem to be more prevalent than Mao ubers these days, probably because the latter are off licking their wounds while the former lords it over them, now that Kim is the one on top, so to speak.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Just wanted to chime in that I didn't find your OP asinine at all, evangeline. Makes perfect sense to me!

Yu-Na nutjobs do seem to be more prevalent than Mao ubers these days, probably because the latter are off licking their wounds while the former lords it over them, now that Kim is the one on top, so to speak.

ITA!!! In fact, I don't think I've seen ONE disrespectful Mao fan here at GS.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Jenny Quote:
"it's not true that just only "crazed uber-fans" would read this letter.
and Yu-na's general fan who read this letter could feel unpleasant."

There is certainly a difference bewteen Yuna's "general fans" and her "crazed uber-fans."
Problem is that many of Yuna's so called "general fans" are quick to take offense to any criticism of her skating.
Dick Button is in their doghouse for daring to point out flaws he observed in "Roxanne" and "Fledermaus."
Yuna's "general fans" were also close to meltdown after Mao's terrific skate at WTT and argued that Mao's 201 score should not count since Yuna was not there to compete. I am sure we can cite other examples from both Yuna and Mao supporters and not have to include their "crazed uber-fans" to do so.
I took Yuna's exceptional letter as an understated plea to her fans, and even the whole country that she will do her best for them in Vancouver and hopes that will be enough.
But it seems that no matter how great her accomplishments nothing will be acceptable to them but the OGM.
I hope Yuna will be able to cope with the intense pressure from her fans and that we won't witness another "Midori tearful apology" should she not win.
I know this is just as true for Mao and hope she will be able to cope with the incredible pressure from her homeland.

Last edited: