Emily Hughes - What happened to her fans? | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - What happened to her fans?

When Sasha joined SOA, many of her legion of fans jumped on the Emily bandwagon. Now that Sasha is back, what happens to Emily's fan base? They do not seem to be jumping for joy.

Well, she's going to battle it out in the normal way - no GPs, I believe, but avoiding Sectionals by going to B comps. No? Help?

Btw, How will she do? and will you be happy that she places higher than the current crop of US skaters at Nats?

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I've been a member of the biggest Sasha Cohen fan board for years, and I never saw any mass exodus of Sasha fans to Emily. At first there was some interest in Kimmie & Emily, because they were our top skaters for a season. Then as the new girls came in it dispersed even more. There are quite a few Caroline fans on the Sasha boards now.

I like Emily because I found her more emotionally expressive than Kimmie, and I like her positive spirit. (I like Kimmie's positive spirit too, before anyone screams.) She has had a rough couple of seasons, and I think it will be tough for her this season. I guess she does have the advantage of low expectations... I can't bring myself to root for her now though, with only 2 spots available. Emily didn't do too great at her last Olympics, and that was around the time when she was pretty much at her peak. I just don't see what she'll be able to do at this point. But I will still enjoy seeing her skate.

The girls that won Nationals in '08 -- I call them the fantastic 4 (Mirai, Rachael, Caroline and Ashley.) My greatest hope for the Olympic team would be Sasha and one of the F4 (probably Caroline or Rachael, but just whoever earns it.) My next hope would be 2 of the F4, perhaps Rachael and Caroline, or maybe one of the others if they can step it up. I would be OK with Sasha not going, as long as the girls who go have earned it. But I would be pretty disappointed in any other circumstance. I could see Alissa coming in and messing things up for someone, theoretically. But I just don't think Emily has the goods to get Nationals silver or gold in this environment.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't see the connection between Emily and Sasha. Emily seems to have more or less retired from competitive skating, and she seems to be very happy with her new life at Harvard. I don't quite get the connection...sorry.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Ive rooted for Emily before but I cant say Ive been a fan of hers. She's gutsy and I appreciate that in her skating. Ashley's determination & gutsiness reminds me of Emily is a way. I dont see a similarity in Sasha & Emily though.

But my tastes lean more toward:

:love:Michelle, Sasha, Mirai, Caroline, Alissa & Bebe on the National level. That is provided Michelle & Sasha come back to compete at Nationals. Id also have to say that the order I have them in is correct for my preference as well.

:rock:I was/am also a fan of Kristi Yamaguchi, Ann Patrice McDonough, Jenny Kirk, YeBin Mok & Stephanie Rosenthal as well. I guess there has always been someone that Ive been a fan of over the years. I like soo many people for soo many reasons.:clap: I have a certain style that I love but I also have others peppered in that I like for other reasons. Im sure there are others that Im a fan of but Im forgetting them at the moment.

I like Emily, Rachel, Ashley & Amber Corwin the same. :rock: I rooted for them and hoped they did their best but I prefer my favorites to be in the lead. Although I guess everyone always wants their favorites to be in the lead ;)

At any rate, I wish Emily the best of luck this season. Im hoping doing B events will still give her a good reference as to where she's sitting compared to everyone else, since she probably wont get a GP event. I hope she chooses something firery for her programs. :agree: She always seems to excel in that style :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I, too, fail to see any connection between Hughes and Cohen (except that they both seem to be putting their lives on hold to focus on a "comeback" lol). Or at least the rumors are that Hughes is doing so and Cohen says she's gonna do so

As for Emily's fans- well, I think the subject has all but disappeared so of course the fans are gonna go with her :p

Anyway, while I wouldn't mind Emily back, I think she has had her run. She got to be an Olympian (after the fact, but still...) and not everyone gets to do that. But if she wants to go for it, let her do so- but I hope she gives it her all. It was really tough to watch her struggle mightily at last year's TEB.

I lean toward, say, Meissner's 2008 SP style. That was my favorite program of that year even with the mistake. Her Spanish music in 2007 was nice as well. Too bad she couldn't skate it clean in its run. Of the "current" crop, I like Flatt LP at 2009 Worlds. IMO, it would be nice to see the two of them compose our Olympic team.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily fans must have been cringing after Emily's FS at TEB, where she underrotated most of her jumps and fell 3 times.

Emily's going to have to prove herself all over again by putting in some impressive appearances at summer competitions. If she doesn't, she won't get "B" events and will have to do Regionals and Sectionals just like everyone else if she wants to go to Nationals.

If she doesn't, she ... will have to do Regionals and Sectionals just like everyone else if she wants to go to Nationals.

But at least, going through Easterns, she won't have to meet up with Michelle coming up through Pacific Coast, until they both reach Nationals. :)

asparaguss

Rinkside
When Sasha joined SOA, many of her legion of fans jumped on the Emily bandwagon. Now that Sasha is back, what happens to Emily's fan base? They do not seem to be jumping for joy.
I've never been a Sasha fan, but I am very much an Emily fan. I'm eager to see her perform in any form she chooses -- exhibitions, competitions, anything that finds her in the public eye.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
speaking as a fan who didn't jump ship of either skater I'll be doing what I did four years ago. Cheering both on... IF both make it back from their 'retirements'

R.D.

Record Breaker
speaking as a fan who didn't jump ship of either skater I'll be doing what I did four years ago. Cheering both on... IF both make it back from their 'retirements'

Emily never "retired." She was just unlucky.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Well, she's going to battle it out in the normal way - no GPs, I believe, but avoiding Sectionals by going to B comps. No? Help?

Btw, How will she do? and will you be happy that she places higher than the current crop of US skaters at Nats?

I'm a Sasha fan (but not exclusively HER fan I do have other favourites). I never cared for Emily's style or ;jumped on her bandwagon.

I definitely want Sasha to go for it if she is ready. I will be happy if Sasha places well if she gets to Nationals-I really have no opinion on Emily except that she has a pleasing personality-a very spunky girl and I wish her good luck in her endeavours.

For nationals I hope Sasha wins with Rachael and Caroline in the next two spots.

silverfox

Rinkside
She was undertrained, not 'unlucky'.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just want to add another possibility to consider.

Her TEB skate may have been that nightmare skate that most top skaters experience,:to wit: Kostner, Kimmie and Verner. They're the three that come to mind right now.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not disagreeing with you, just want to add another possibility to consider.

Her TEB skate may have been that nightmare skate that most top skaters experience,:to wit: Kostner, Kimmie and Verner. They're the three that come to mind right now.

Perhaps, but I don't remember her looking devastated after that skate (unlike Meissner and Kostner). In fact, she appeared to be smiling, almost like she didn't care. It was rather surprising to me.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm a Sasha fan (but not exclusively HER fan I do have other favourites). I never cared for Emily's style or ;jumped on her bandwagon.

I definitely want Sasha to go for it if she is ready. I will be happy if Sasha places well if she gets to Nationals-I really have no opinion on Emily except that she has a pleasing personality-a very spunky girl and I wish her good luck in her endeavours.

For nationals I hope Sasha wins with Rachael and Caroline in the next two spots.

I feel the similar to you about this. I can't imagine why Sasha fans would ever have jumped on "the Emily bandwagon" as I see no similarity in their skating or personalities. As a Sasha fan I am drawn to Caroline's skating. I wonder if others are as well.

Last edited: