Emily Hughes - What happened to her fans? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - What happened to her fans?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I meant in terms of injuries (i.e. having to pull out of Nats two years in a row)

Yes, she cited injury in her withdrawal announcements, but you have to wonder whether she was really injured or just reluctant to compete because she was so out of shape (i.e. undertrained) that she would have had an embarrassing placement.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, she cited injury in her withdrawal announcements, but you have to wonder whether she was really injured or just reluctant to compete because she was so out of shape (i.e. undertrained) that she would have had an embarrassing placement.

Judging from what I saw at TEB, that was far from a stellar performance- I don't think she would back out of Nats just to avoid "embarrassment".

I think she was really injured.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
Emily fan right here!!! I really hope she trains hard and comes back strong next season. I really miss the old Emily, the one that showed up back at nationals in 2007. That SP was absolutely phenomenal (and one of the very few Carmen's I found interesting) and should have been at least 2nd in the SP (first I'd have Bebe, then Emily, then Kimmie or Rachael). I really hopes she kicks butt come nationals!!!

Emily Hughes - What happened to her fans?

Answer: they've never gone away.;):cool:
It just seems to me, that her announcement to return to competition did not get her fans going bananas as Sasha's did. I'm happy to see both of them back in the saddle.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It just seems to me, that her announcement to return to competition did not get her fans going bananas as Sasha's did. I'm happy to see both of them back in the saddle.

But she never really "retired" though!! So she couldn't have returned. The only thing is that she's getting serious about skating so maybe we'll see an actual attempt to get back to 2006-07 form (frankly, I think Rachel and Caroline have surpassed her in that regard).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
It just seems to me, that her announcement to return to competition
I don't think Emily has made a formal announcement to date... at least not in the same manner and national publicity spotlight of Cohen's announcement (eta: and, as Red Dog says above, Hughes never retired, so no need for a comeback announcement).

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
As others have stated, she never retired, though I did miss her beautiful presence on the ice these past few years. I just automatically assumed she would eventually leave skating & go to school full-time at Harvard. I'm glad she's giving it another go. She really is one-of-kind ~ nobody IMHO has her effervescence & joy & positive energy!:love:

This thread makes me miss her & Kimmie Meissner and their friendly, however brief, rivalry. It just goes to show you that anything can happen. One minute you're on top, the next, not so much.

Still, Emily seems happy, and that in turn makes me happy. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here's a possible explanation to the original point:

I think Emily's fans are just hoping that she can get back in the swing of things and keep herself healthy.

But the Cohen fans are more vocal and there are many more of them. So, they're up in arms about HER return, as if they really "missed" her, even though they could see her all this time in SOI :scratch:

Well, she did not formally announce that she retired, but ya gotta admit ya didn't expect her to show up. But then it is the Olys year, and everyone wants to get into that.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, that's it---it's all about the Olympics. Emily went in 2006, and she believes that on that basis, she should go again in 2010.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, that's it---it's all about the Olympics. Emily went in 2006, and she believes that on that basis, she should go again in 2010.

How do you know what she believes? We haven't even gotten an "official" announcement from her yet. All we can deduce is that she's serious about skating, at least this season. As to whether she makes it or not, that's a different story.

Nats next year is going to be insane. May all the Contenders stay injury-free.

nylynnr

On the Ice

Emily isn't going anywhere without qualifying. AFAIK she will have to compete at regionals to gain the right to go to sectionals, and from sectionals, she will have to finish among the top four to go to nationals. The only way I can see her being named to a senior B is if she sets the ice on fire at a few summer competitions, i.e., Liberty.

Assuming she qualifies, she would very likely have to win nationals to be considered for the Olympic team. The judges and callers didn't do her any favors at regionals last season and they won't this season, either, so I don't see why anyone is up in arms.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The only recent, direct quote from Emily Hughes about her skating plans for 2009-10 that I know about was published in the Inside Edge blog dated April 6, 2009 (following the "Ice Chips" show at the Skating Club of Boston):
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090406&content_id=63698&vkey=ice_news
Excerpt:
"I definitely still want to compete, and that's what's driving me. There's nothing quite like the adrenaline of competing, and the emotion and excitement, and especially the crowd. Spokane is an amazing city. I loved the nationals I had there last time. I know I have to go through two qualifying competitions first, but you start from the bottom and go to the top!"

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't know than anybody is up in arms. I always liked Emily and admired her spirit - but never thought her skating was consistent enough to consider her a "world class" skater. A good skater - yes, and a very likeable girl. She is a long shot imo but it is possible she can surprise alot of us this season. In my wildest dreams I can not see Emily on the podium at a Worlds or Olympics though.
Thus, I dont have any real enthusiasm for her return. Same with Bebe and even Kimmie.

Even though there was no formal announcement of retiring, she is interrupting 2-3 years of formal studies to compete again. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know than anybody is up in arms. I always liked Emily and admired her spirit - but never thought her skating was consistent enough to consider her a "world class" skater. A good skater - yes, and a very likeable girl. She is a long shot imo but it is possible she can surprise alot of us this season. In my wildest dreams I can not see Emily on the podium at a Worlds or Olympics though.
Thus, I dont have any real enthusiasm for her return. Same with Bebe and even Kimmie.

If any one of the "down-and-out" folks can find their way back, I have the most faith in Meissner- and that's not even saying very much, considering that she's already seemed to have peaked. But I will say that this is going to be the most unpredictable US ladies team ever. So many contenders. So many variables. So many possibilities.

janetfan

Match Penalty
If any one of the "down-and-out" folks can find their way back, I have the most faith in Meissner- and that's not even saying very much, considering that she's already seemed to have peaked. But I will say that this is going to be the most unpredictable US ladies team ever. So many contenders. So many variables. So many possibilities.

I certainly agree with what you said. It could be awesome this year - and I fondly remember the great night Kimmie had at Worlds. But I also remember some pretty sub-par nights as well. I give her credit for not giving up after the disappointmenst of the past few seasons. I have some nice memories of Emily fighting so hard too - coming back after falls, always giving it her best. Problem is that I recall that even her best was so, so far from Yuna or Mao.

So maybe we will have a great nationals and that in part may help make up for Olympic disappointments. Besides our ladies, the guys are shaping up to have the best and most competitive Nationals in years. And the Dance is gonna be the best ever with three formidable teams going at it. Not so sure about the pairs, but that might be OK too.

pista04

On the Ice
Emily decided she is gonna push for olympics just shows me one thing: the depth of the American field. Yeah, we might not have a star, like Kwan or old Cohen (maybe we still do....haven't seen her compete yet, and I do adore her! Haha). Yeah, this olympics wont have an American heavily favored...but with so many girls waiting in the wings to be the top World lady, Sochi will be where its at for most Americans, like Nagasu, Zhang, Flatt, Wagner....

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ It certainly seems so. But we cannot predict the future.

As I said before, 2010 will be the year of Japan and Korea. The biggest variable that will be in play is pressure, and how much it will affect the top competitors remains to be seen. But we've seen Kim get big scores even with mistakes. (Asada seems rather beatable on an off-night, judging by what happened at TEB and Worlds)