Weir's "Pop Star on Ice" shows hard work behind the glamour | Golden Skate

Weir's "Pop Star on Ice" shows hard work behind the glamour

"At Skate America [in Everett, Wash.] this past fall, we ran into Johnny's coach, Galina [Zmievskaya], early one morning as she was searching for a juicer," he said. "We found one and watched her prepare, by hand, fresh pomegranate juice. Then we followed her to Johnny's room and filmed her presenting it to him.

"I mean, you can't write this stuff."
If this is their idea of high drama, I don't think the audiences are exactly going to be on the edge of their seats.

Still, it's Johnny and I can't wait to see it.

I like this comment:
While Weir is well-known for his entertaining press conferences and occasional forays into the fashion world, the directors emphasize that Pop Star on Ice is first and foremost the story of a hard-working elite athlete.
Wouldn't it be ironic if the most gender-controversial male skater of all was the one who convinced the wider audience that figure skating is a real sport? :rofl:

dancingqueen

On the Ice

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Getting back to the subject at hand...
Such as the fact I'm getting very confused now, because one account implies the documentary ends with the coaching change and another implies it ends with the bronze medal. I'm hoping for the latter; it's more cheery.

waxel

Final Flight
Wasn't there supposed to some kind of reality show on Johnny? Called something like The Black Swan? I heard it was in the works, then nothing agian?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm hoping to go see this, as I am familiar with the area (hard to find parking, but not impossible), and the Egyptian Theatre is phenomenal, like something out of vaudeville ~ old-fashioned charm & mystique ~ classic!

Last edited:

taylorfax

On the Ice
I'm hoping to go see this, as I am familiar with the area (hard to find parking, but not impossible), and the Egyptian Theatre is phenomenal, like something out of vaudeville ~ old-fashioned charm & mystique ~ classic!
*********** I wish I lived in the States. :( I mean, I'm a movie fan anyway but this!

Last edited by a moderator:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
This doesn't sound that interesting really, especially to the general public. Would the life of even a champion figure skater be enough to sustain a movie? Anyway, Johnny certainly has character, so it could have some appeal.

annlfs

Rinkside
if you go to youtube and type in "pop star on ice"
you will find a teaser trailer for the movie.

it's great ya gotta love johnny!

i'm sorry i don't now how to link it!
maybe somebody can do it for me?

Nadine

Record Breaker
*********** I wish I lived in the States. :( I mean, I'm a movie fan anyway but this!

Lol, yes, I understand completely! :) Btw, the Egyptian was built in 1915 and is a historic landmark in Seattle. It reminds me of a similar one that was located in the very center of Seattle (whereas the Egyptian is up by Broadway, sitting on a hill). Anyhow, the former I used to frequent often back in the 80's & 90's, after having spent an enjoyable night dancing, then dinner afterwards, then finally we would end up at the one downtown, watching late-night movies at discount prices. :biggrin: Unfortunately, they tore it down. So sad, it was just like the Egytian Theatre. Wish they would have turned it into a historic landmark & kept it. Too see all that history & aura & magnificence reduced to rubble.:disapp:

taylorfax

On the Ice
Anyhow, the former I used to frequent often back in the 80's & 90's, after having spent an enjoyable night dancing, then dinner afterwards, then finally we would end up at the one downtown, watching late-night movies at discount prices. :biggrin: Unfortunately, they tore it down.
That sounds really great, I just love movie theatres that have some history attached to them. Going there is like an experience on its own. But you're right in that there aren't many of those around anymore, anywhere.

On another note. lol My post got edited? That's hilarious. :laugh:

Nadine

Record Breaker
My Review:

Okay, I just got back, after having spent an enjoyable night at the movies & eating afterwards. :)

We had absolutely no problem parking on this beautiful Sunday (btw parking was free, as it is every Sunday), then we walked a pleasant 30 seconds around the corner into the magestic Egyptian Theatre, showed the staff our tickets & in we went. The theatre was packed ~ full house ~ with only a handful of reserve seats available.

We took our seats only moments before the expected start of the movie at 6:45PM. However, there were three individuals up on stage (a woman & two men), whom introduced themselves (the woman acted as the host of the SIFF, aka Seattle International Film Festival, and the two men were the producers of the film; one of them mentioned that Johnny couldn't make it but hoped everybody would enjoy the film).

Then the lights dimmed into nothingness for about 20-30 seconds before the preview began (i.e. a foreign James Bond type of film, lol). Then another black nothingness for about 20 seconds before TADA, there he was! :)

Johnny's face literally appeared out of thin air, right in your face, like the trailer that has appeared on the 'net. This odd foreign accent talking about him, then at the end you realize it is Johnny himself, lol.

I didn't take notes, so am just going by memory, thus I may have missed some things, please bear with me.

From there I recall being blown away by Johnny's jumps on the ice, his incredible flow into & out of them, in particular he executed a gorgeous triple lutz-triple toe-triple loop, after his coach Priscilla Hill asked him to. And I think afterwards he just smiled at the camera like it was nothing. And I just remember thinking W-O-W! Seriously, I'd forgotten how much talent & how incredibly good Johnny is on the ice, he made me a fan all over again, and I remember thinking at that particular moment he could be the 2010 Olympic Champion. He's a natural, as the movie proved.

I also have to point out that the skating is what I enjoyed most about this film. That, and seeing Johnny go back to his hometown a few times ~ once to show where it all began, in the oddest of places, in a cornfield behind the house he grew up in, actually talking about how it all froze over one winter & he skated in between the stubs of the cornstalks ~ and he also went back to the elementary school he attended as a child, talking to the kids there, reconnecting with his 1st grade teacher, just having a great time. Lol, I loved the answers he gave to the kids about "are you rich?", "are you popular?".:biggrin:

PAUSE, I'm going to post this half-finished to make sure it goes through, then continue on. Thanks for understanding.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
Okay, I just got back, after having spent an enjoyable night at the movies & eating afterwards. :)

We had absolutely no problem parking on this beautiful Sunday (btw parking was free, as it is every Sunday), then we walked a pleasant 30 seconds around the corner into the magestic Egyptian Theatre, showed the staff our tickets & in we went. The theatre was packed ~ full house ~ with only a handful of reserve seats available.

We took our seats only moments before the expected start of the movie at 6:45PM. However, there were three individuals up on stage (a woman & two men), whom introduced themselves (the woman acted as the host of the SIFF, aka Seattle International Film Festival, and the two men were the producers of the film; one of them mentioned that Johnny couldn't make it but hoped everybody would enjoy the film).

Then the lights dimmed into nothingness for about 20-30 seconds before the preview began (i.e. a foreign James Bond type of film, lol). Then another black nothingness for about 20 seconds before TADA, there he was! :)

Johnny's face literally appeared out of thin air, right in your face, like the trailer that has appeared on the 'net. This odd foreign accent talking about him, then at the end you realize it is Johnny himself, lol.

I didn't take notes, so am just going by memory, thus I may have missed some things, please bear with me.

From there I recall being blown away by Johnny's jumps on the ice, his incredible flow into & out of them, in particular he executed a gorgeous triple lutz-triple toe-triple loop, after his coach Priscilla Hill asked him to. And I think afterwards he just smiled at the camera like it was nothing. And I just remember thinking W-O-W! Seriously, I'd forgotten how much talent & how incredibly good Johnny is on the ice, he made me a fan all over again, and I remember thinking at that particular moment he could be the 2010 Olympic Champion. He's a natural, as the movie proved.

I also have to point out that the skating is what I enjoyed most about this film. That, and seeing Johnny go back to his hometown a few times ~ once to show where it all began, in the oddest of places, in a cornfield behind the house he grew up in, actually talking about how it all froze over one winter & he skated in between the stubs of the cornstalks ~ and he also went back to the elementary school he attended as a child, talking to the kids there, reconnecting with his 1st grade teacher, just having a great time. Lol, I loved the answers he gave to the kids about "are you rich?", "are you popular?".:biggrin:

PAUSE, I'm going to post this half-finished to make sure it goes through, then continue on. Thanks for understanding.

Thank you so much for the review ! :) The film sounds great ! I look forward to the second part of your review. I enjoyed his trailer, I can’t wait to see the whole film !

Nadine

Record Breaker
continued...

I liked the *feel* of the documentary, like being on the inside, instead of on the outside looking in, though I think it could've been made better in the sense that the parts I personally enjoyed were the ones where Johnny wasn't posing for the camera/aware of it, rather the camera caught Johnny without his seeming to know it. Hard to explain.

Anyhow, back to the film. Interspersed throughout the film was his best friend Paris, either you love him or hate him, no in between. Leastways that's my opinion. Paris acting like a diva, you get the picture. Audience laughed along with him. Personally I think he's the one that holds Johnny back, always by his side, in the bedroom & out, always there to have a good time. IMHO if Johnny really wants to be an Olympic Champion, as he states throughout the film, then drop this guy (at least temporarily; until his amateur career is over). Or set boundaries. Prioritize.

Johnny has all the talent in the world, but *not* the discipline necessary to reach the very top of the podium. And I know Prisicilla Hill feels as I do. That's the difference between him & Evan Lysacek. The latter has the mental toughness, the discipline, the concentration. Though I've always conceded Johnny is the one with the pure raw talent. But as has been said a million times before, talent alone does not make a champion, it's 95% mental, the other 5% talent. JMHO.

Okay, enough about that, I enjoyed the flashbacks to Johnny's childhood, his progression from a highly talented 12 yr. old to a three-time US National Champion! To start skating at that late of an age & to become Jr. World Champion three years later - unbelieveable. And it all started downstairs in the basement of his childhood home, roller skating, imitating the moves of Oksana Baiul from the 1994 Olympics ~ The Swan ~ and here I thought I was Oksana's biggest fan, no way, Johnny takes the cake!:love:

That's another thing I particularly enjoyed about this film ~ his inclusion of all those skaters we love ~ one of the first opening scenes was of Johnny & Sasha Cohen. Then throughout the film an assortment of skaters talking about Johnny ~ Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, and of course Oksana Baiul ~ as well as a few backstage shots of Stephane Lambiel & Brian Joubert & Evan Lysacek, and of Johnny talking about his relationship with each. Oh yeah, before I forget, Christine Brennan had a few words to say as well, and Phil Hersch was caught asking questions at one of those Q&A sessions after the competition is complete.

One of the most compelling aspects of this film, if not thee most compelling, was his relationship with his coach of 10 years ~ Priscilla Hill ~ they grew up together on the ice; she the loving mother, he the talented child. So sad the breakup. He just didn't want to listen to her ~ she's just way too nice, not tough enough ~ Galina Zmievskaya was the perfect one to go to, as she will not take any of his sh*t, and he knows that. Hopefully, as is Priscilla's wish, they can reconnect again after his amateur career is over. Heartbreaking.

That's all for now, but before I go I have to say that one can tell how close Johnny is with his mother & father, especially his mother. :) I loved the scene wherein they both helped him move into his own apartment, reminded me of the first time I left home.

Yikes, almost forget to mention that I also wanted to say that I enjoyed the mini interviews with Johnny's Angels, those fans that have supported him from the very beginning. Touching. Good job, Johnny, good job.:thumbsup:

dancingqueen

On the Ice
I liked the *feel* of the documentary, like being on the inside, instead of on the outside looking in, though I think it could've been made better in the sense that the parts I personally enjoyed were the ones where Johnny wasn't posing for the camera/aware of it, rather the camera caught Johnny without his seeming to know it. Hard to explain.

Anyhow, back to the film. Interspersed throughout the film was his best friend Paris, either you love him or hate him, no in between. Leastways that's my opinion. Paris acting like a diva, you get the picture. Audience laughed along with him. Personally I think he's the one that holds Johnny back, always by his side, in the bedroom & out, always there to have a good time. IMHO if Johnny really wants to be an Olympic Champion, as he states throughout the film, then drop this guy (at least temporarily; until his amateur career is over). Or set boundaries. Prioritize.

Johnny has all the talent in the world, but *not* the discipline necessary to reach the very top of the podium. And I know Prisicilla Hill feels as I do. That's the difference between him & Evan Lysacek. The latter has the mental toughness, the discipline, the concentration. Though I've always conceded Johnny is the one with the pure raw talent. But as has been said a million times before, talent alone does not make a champion, it's 95% mental, the other 5% talent. JMHO.

Okay, enough about that, I enjoyed the flashbacks to Johnny's childhood, his progression from a highly talented 12 yr. old to a three-time US National Champion! To start skating at that late of an age & to become Jr. World Champion three years later - unbelieveable. And it all started downstairs in the basement of his childhood home, roller skating, imitating the moves of Oksana Baiul from the 1994 Olympics ~ The Swan ~ and here I thought I was Oksana's biggest fan, no way, Johnny takes the cake!:love:

That's another thing I particularly enjoyed about this film ~ his inclusion of all those skaters we love ~ one of the first opening scenes was of Johnny & Sasha Cohen. Then throughout the film an assortment of skaters talking about Johnny ~ Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, and of course Oksana Baiul ~ as well as a few backstage shots of Stephane Lambiel & Brian Joubert & Evan Lysacek, and of Johnny talking about his relationship with each. Oh yeah, before I forget, Christine Brennan had a few words to say as well, and Phil Hersch was caught asking questions at one of those Q&A sessions after the competition is complete.

One of the most compelling aspects of this film, if not thee most compelling, was his relationship with his coach of 10 years ~ Priscilla Hill ~ they grew up together on the ice; she the loving mother, he the talented child. So sad the breakup. He just didn't want to listen to her ~ she's just way too nice, not tough enough ~ Galina Zmievskaya was the perfect one to go to, as she will not take any of his sh*t, and he knows that. Hopefully, as is Priscilla's wish, they can reconnect again after his amateur career is over. Heartbreaking.

That's all for now, but before I go I have to say that one can tell how close Johnny is with his mother & father, especially his mother. :) I loved the scene wherein they both helped him move into his own apartment, reminded me of the first time I left home.

Yikes, almost forget to mention that I also wanted to say that I enjoyed the mini interviews with Johnny's Angels, those fans that have supported him from the very beginning. Touching. Good job, Johnny, good job.:thumbsup:

Wow, thank you for the prompt next wonderful review ! Sounds like many interesting parts in it.:love: I envy you could see it so soon.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Anyone have a clue where this film could be seen, and when? Probably not the major theaters? Is there a way to search for the more independent film showtimes nationwide?