Yagudin Requests Alcohol Rehabilitation Program | Golden Skate

Yagudin Requests Alcohol Rehabilitation Program

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is a link to a short article. Next court appearance is Nov 30.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Thanks Paula

I really hope he can nip this now ... he has a wonderful future ahead of him.
I'll be thinking some good thoughts for him. :)

Lisa

On the Ice
Thanks Paula! :)

Looks like he's learnt his lesson.

And of course, best wishes for his future! ;)

April

Rinkside
Yahoo News

Yagudin Applies for Alcohol Program
Thu Oct 9, 2:29 PM ET Add Sports - AP to My Yahoo!

By DONNA TOMMELLEO, AP Sports Writer

HARTFORD, Conn. - Olympic skating champion Alexei Yagudin applied Thursday for an alcohol education program that would clear his record of a drunken driving charge.

Yagudin, 23, who trains at the International Skating Center of Connecticut in Simsbury, was pulled over just after midnight on Aug. 31 while driving near his home in Avon, a Hartford suburb.

The four-time world champion was charged with operating under the influence of alcohol, traveling too fast and making an improper lane change without signaling.

Police said the skater's blood-alcohol content level was above the legal threshold of 0.08. Yagudin was cooperative during the arrest, police said.

He appeared briefly in Hartford Superior Court on Thursday to apply for the special program for first-time offenders. He agreed to pay the $150 application fee and court costs. The one-year program includes 10 to 15 counseling session administered by the state Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services.

Yagudin declined to comment after the proceedings.

If he successfully completes the education program, the charges will be dismissed and his record will be erased, according to his attorney, Reese Norris. Yagudin is due back in court Nov. 20 for a hearing on the application.

"I know my client is eligible, and I expect he'll be granted the program," Norris said.

Yagudin waited with dozens of other motor vehicle defendants for nearly 90 minutes outside the courtroom of Judge Wendy Susco before his case was called. Nobody in the crowd seemed to recognize the skating superstar. He answered "No" when the judge quizzed him on whether he had previous DUI arrests.

Yagudin received four 6.0 scores in the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City. No other man ever earned more than one perfect mark in Olympic figure skating competition.

In 1999, Russia's Skating Federation put Yagudin on probation for one year for improper behavior during the John Hancock Champions on Ice tour. Doctors in Russia who examined him rejected speculation that Yagudin's disorderly behavior was caused by heavy drinking. Yagudin was thrown off the Champions tour after cursing a member of the media.

amykaren

On the Ice
I hope he is doing this for himself, not just because he has to. My thoughts and prayers are with him. I know he will come out of this even stronger.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My prayers, love, and support go out to Alexei...

looks like I'll be sending out a big card of support to him this week! :) :D

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Good for him. I hope everything works out and he gets rid of this problem for good! :D

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As I read something about this matter on FSU, I understood that for Yagudin (and for anyone) to do this alchohol education programme, gives him a way out from being punished for DUI and prevents the matter getting into his criminal record, because this is his first time in court?

I mean that although Yagudin got caught in drunk driving (and for other offenses also), it does not mean at all that he actually has a drinking problem or is an alchoholic, does it? It just shows that he did a thoughtless and really irresponsible action, showed poor judgment, lack of consideration, and committed a crime. With an alchoholic I understand something else. I don´t think there is enough evidence to show that Yagudin has any drinking problems or is an alcholic, not even with his COI past.

As a positive thing in this whole matter is that maybe Yagudin learns something from the experience and will understand not to do in future any driving after he has taken some alchohol?

Marjaana

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Good for him! Whether this was an isolated incident, or he feels he maybe does have a problem, it is really responsible of him to do this, and try to take control of his life. I wish him the best, and hope he comes back soon to the competitive scene (but not before he physically can!).

Kasey

I really hope there is no alcoholic problem and that he is doing this to appease the authorities.

Addiction is a grave problem for anyone. I had the cigarette habit for years but finally broke the habit. Not easy!

Does any of this have to do with his withdrawal of some competitions? or is it the hip that needs more healing?

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Jaana, ITA.

BTW, I have read him say in a Russian interview that for now he has switched to "mineral water". Not because he has a problem, but because he figured that he has gotten into problem twice because of drinking, and that's enough.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very proud of Alexei for taking part in this program. Whatever his reasons are for doing it - as a friend pointed out is he will get an education in what can happen while driving under the influence.

Do I think Alexei has a drinking problem? No. I think you need to know or be around alcoholics to be able to answer that question. I think Alexei is young and likes to party. Who didn't when they were that age? If Alexei had a drinking problem there would be no way that he could have achieved what he has over the years.

Dee

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Dee, I agree with everything you said here.

I don't think participating in this program is anymore a way of avoiding punishment than simply writing a check to pay a fine would be. What Alexei has asked to do takes more of a personal commitment and self-inspection, which is something I don't think he has ever shied away from.

I believe the state is much more interested in educating people so mistakes aren't repeated in cases like this than they are in "punishment."

Nan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Alexei is young and likes to party. Who didn't when they were that age?

I can list a bunch of names in the 18-28 range that don't drink, never have, and know that that style of partying is not the only way to PARTY. ;)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Joe, no matter what type addiction to some people any are a problem. For me, tobacco was easier to quit than eating.

Granny - I know what you mean. However, once the cigarettes were gone the eating came on strong. Luckily, my cocktail before dinner has remained stable and actually enhances my health. You know the old "moderation" theory.;)

Joe

Lisa

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Jaana, ITA.

BTW, I have read him say in a Russian interview that for now he has switched to "mineral water". Not because he has a problem, but because he figured that he has gotten into problem twice because of drinking, and that's enough.

Yes, I think I know the interview you mentioned (though I had to read it in English). He added that he hasn't any problem with not drinking alcohol.

Lisa

On the Ice
Joe and Granny, I know exactly what you are talking about! I just love to eat, and also to enjoy a good glass of wine or beer once in a while. Given the fact that I'm not among those lucky women who can eat whatever they want and stay slim, I have to control myself, though :rolleyes:. "Moderation" is something one can learn, and - to get back to the topic - I trust Alexei to learn it. ;)

IMO, if anybody is driving drunk with a 0.08 level, he has an alcohol problem. I know there are cultural differences in how people view this as well as just plain disagreements, but from what I know of Yagudin's past and trends in DUIs, this was very likely not his first time behind the wheel while alcohol impaired. I wish people would view alcohol addiction as something that some people are genetically predisposed to and under certain circumstances can get out of control. I think too many people avoid getting help for alcohol dependency because of the social stigma and I don't think there should be a stigma. So what if Yagudin does have an alcohol problem? Edited to change: Native Americans have a propensity towards alcoholism because of their genetic make-up, though by no means are they all alcoholics, and hundreds of millions of people worldwide from every strata of society have alcohol problems. According to the majority of research results, alcoholism is the result of a genetic predisposition and should not be sitgmatized anymore than someone with any other genetically-related health problem.

I know it's cliché, but driving drunk is like waving around a loaded gun while drunk. He's very lucky he wasn't hurt or killed and that he didn't hurt or kill others.

Kudos to Yags for going into rehab, [edited to add], counseling, education, or whatever name best suits the program. I hope he takes it seriously the first time and realizes there gravity of the situation. BTW, you don't have to drink every day to be alcoholic. In many "dry" counties in the US, alcoholism occurs in a once-a-month variation. Bootleggers come through once a month, people stock up on liquor, go on a bender which tends to include violence, wind up in jail, get out, and then repeat the whole thing in another month. They don't think they're alcoholics because they only drink once a month. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Yagudin's alcohol use has not increased given the problems he's had with his hip. He's not been able to express himself in the sport he loves and in which he excels to the point of being one of the greatest male skaters of the sport. That's a very tough thing to deal with. It's understandable how alcohol would help dull the emotional pain and uncertainty.

I wish Yagudin all the best. Some of the best people I know have alcohol or substance abuse problems, not to mention some of the great people in history. I just think it's unfortunate that alcoholics are often thought of as irresponsible drunks. Some are, but it's much more complicated than that. Whatever Yagudin's situation is, best to deal with it while he's young.
Rgirl

Last edited: