McLaughlin & Brubaker to train with John Nicks in California | Golden Skate

McLaughlin & Brubaker to train with John Nicks in California

antmanb

Record Breaker
Interesting then that John Nicks hasn't retired but Sasha didn't go back to him.

Ant

janetfan

Match Penalty
Interesting then that John Nicks hasn't retired but Sasha didn't go back to him.

Ant

Hey ant, like so many keep saying, "it's early yet." Give it a little time and we'll see about another Sasha/Nicks reunion.:biggrin:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yes, one of the rumours swimming around in the rink (since it is off-season, the ice is melted) has been confirmed! Still waiting for the second one...

But probably a good move for McLaughlin / Brubaker, they seemed a bit lost last season and something new might be inspirational.

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
Good move! And an even better move would be, after next year, move to europe to train with Ingo. haha

Last edited:

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
Yeah :laugh: He seems to be the top pairs coach right now......him and of course Bin Yao

haha, i think Ingo's far better pairs coach than Bin Yao. Ingo can offer the complete package, from technique to choreography, everything. I think Bin Yao is rather so-so, just IMO though.

but seriously, Ingo will have no top teams after next year, i don't see S/S or V/M continue after next year? it'd be amazing.

Medusa

Record Breaker
haha, i think Ingo's far better pairs coach than Bin Yao. Ingo can offer the complete package, from technique to choreography, everything. I think Bin Yao is rather so-so, just IMO though
I don't think it's a fair comparision. Bin Yao built up a figure skating tradition out of nowhere, without a real figure skating program in his country, no traditions to look up to. And he has been working on that for two decades now. There are several technical elements that the Chinese do like no other skaters, like the twists, the throws... Bin Yao is a legend.

Steuer built on Eastern-German figure skating glory. There was a program in Germany, a long tradition of pair skating. He used what he learnt from the communist figure skating tradition, had fairly decent resources in Germany, found a talented German guy, bought a fantastic Ukranian figure skater and tada - World class pair and suddenly people send you other skaters, like the Canadians and the Swiss. Give him 10 to 15 more years in the business, then let's see if he is a legend.

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
I don't think it's a fair comparision. Bin Yao built up a figure skating tradition out of nowhere, without a real figure skating program in his country, no traditions to look up to. And he has been working on that for two decades now. There are several technical elements that the Chinese do like no other skaters, like the twists, the throws... Bin Yao is a legend.

Steuer built on Eastern-German figure skating glory. There was a program in Germany, a long tradition of pair skating. He used what he learnt from the communist figure skating tradition, had fairly decent resources in Germany, found a talented German guy, bought a fantastic Ukranian figure skater and tada - World class pair and suddenly people send you other skaters, like the Canadians and the Swiss. Give him 10 to 15 more years in the business, then let's see if he is a legend.

humm, yeah, you have a point here about Bin Yao. But look at what Ingo has done to V/M this past season, HUGE improvement. and i don't think the chinese do the twists and throws like no others though, i think V/M has the biggest twist and throw, and this is one of their major improvement this past season as well. again, IMO.....

C'mon. Let's not let prejudice enter. We're talking coach train. i think Ingo did a miraculous job wtih Aliona and Robyn.

But John Nicks got a most remarkable creation out of Tai and Randy. He met the challenge of the Russian technical prowess. My only concern about Nics would be if he is old and tired, or will the challenge of training animate him? Can he get McLaughlin/Brubaker up to a level of podium challenger? We'll see.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Maybe they changed coaches from the asdvice of Tai Babilonia?! i know she was/is mentoring M/B.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
OMG.

I can't believe Mr. Nicks wanted to take on a full-time young team who will most certainly not retire after next season.
Very interesting that Sasha did not return to him if he was not in retirement. Could it be that she blames him for her olympic result? They seemed inseparable at the olympics.

Anyway, for Keauna and Rockne this sounds like a great move. I know they have been being mentored by Tai Babalonia, so maybe she convinced her old coach to take on the young team. I hope that the move works out well for them. They seem extremely motivated to get a world/olympic medal. Another plus for them is that Keauna is back home in SoCal.

gold12345

Medalist
Wow, didn't see this one coming.

This has to be temporary. I can't see Nicks, who was retired from full time coaching, staying on to coach anyone into the next quadrennium. Even in an Olympic season, I'm surprised he's willing to coach anyone at this level full time anymore. I wonder if M&B would go back to Sappenfield when Nicks inevitably retires. I never got the impression they had a poor working relationship with Dalilah, so I can't imagine that things are that bad. I know people are suggesting they eventually move to Germany to work with Ingo, but I don't think a move that drastic would be needed to get on the World podium. Some of the top pairs are pushing 30 and will probably retire soon anyway (maybe even teams like Dube & Davison who seemed on the miserable side this season), and I think M&B are more than capable of beating pretty much everyone that should be left.

So M&B and Abbott, both current National Champions, both who train at the same rink, announce coaching changes on the same exact day? Are we not supposed to think this is strange? lol Abbott's change doesn't surprise me as much because Tom Z is loaded with top names (Flatt and Mroz came on very strong last year), but M&B seemed to clearly be Dalilah's main focus even with her juggling a bunch of teams at once.

Anyway, I wish them all the luck in the world, especially because I love their skating and I want them to be happy with their performances. :)

Last edited:

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Good move! And an even better move would be, after next year, move to europe to train with Ingo. haha

I would prefer Tamara Moskvina. The lady knows how to maximize her skaters abilities. I wish she was still coaching in the USA!