Jeremy Abbott makes a coaching change to Yuka Sato | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott makes a coaching change to Yuka Sato

What a surprise after his amazing season, and what an interesting, risky, but maybe terrific choice. There is a solidity about Yuka's skating that I would love to see in Jeremy - somehow he has a very lightweight feeling. Maybe it's just his body build, I don't know.

I hope he'll like living in Detroit. It's a far cry from Colorado and the Rockies.
http://myartspage.blogspot.com/

This seems to be the crux of the matter.

"There are lots of different reasons for the move," Abbott said. "[Wanting to be] the only top skater was part of it, a small part of it. I loved training with Brandon and Ryan and Rachael and Alexe. They are all incredibly hard workers and good friends, but I am excited to be in a situation where Yuka doesn't have many other students."

A Yuka Sato dynasty in the bud! :love: :love: :love:

Yuka also has lent a coaching/choreographical hand to the U.S. ladies' champion (who hasn't :) .)

janetfan

Match Penalty
What a surprise after his amazing season, and what an interesting, risky, but maybe terrific choice. There is a solidity about Yuka's skating that I would love to see in Jeremy - somehow he has a very lightweight feeling. Maybe it's just his body build, I don't know.

I guess it was a breakout season of sorts for Jeremy but it did finish on a low note at Worlds and WTT.
I keep reading fair minded messages about how Evan needs other skaters to mess up in order to win at big competitions. Could this also be the case with Jeremy? At Natls Evan was far from his best and Johnny was a non-factor leaving the title to a cleaner skating Jeremy.
I like his skating but I find him unpredictable in the manner of Miki Ando. Both are capable of making podiums and both can be wildly inconsistent.
I always loved Yuka's delightfully refined skating and hope things work out well for Jeremy next season.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Jeremy's former coach has a stable of skaters and imo he will be focusing mainly on Rachael this upcoming Olympic season. Good move for
Jeremy.

While Yuka is on my short list of the most beautifully talented skaters ever, I do not see immediately what she can offer Jeremy. Jeremy is already musical, already quiet in his stroking, already has great speed. Maybe her cool confidence which she also showed and he really hasn't.

I think it would be a hoot to see Yuka sitting with Jeremy in the K&C as his scores go up showing he is the Oly gold medalist. Wow. :thumbsup:

jumpjumpjump

On the Ice
While Yuka is on my short list of the most beautifully talented skaters ever, I do not see immediately what she can offer Jeremy. Jeremy is already musical, already quiet in his stroking, already has great speed. Maybe her cool confidence which she also showed and he really hasn't.

I think it would be a hoot to see Yuka sitting with Jeremy in the K&C as his scores go up showing he is the Oly gold medalist. Wow. :thumbsup:

haha, Jeremy Abbott, the 2010 Men's Olympics Gold Medalist! :love::clap:

but I just really hope that this goes well for him, if it works out for him, i'm happy!

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Oy I don't know how I feel about this. Could turn out just fine.
Takahiko Kozuka's PCS past season weren't sky high though. Besides, Jeremy Abbott is a totally different kind of skater.
Need wait & see.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
WHAT?
I can't believe this. I can't help but think this is a bad move. Just because Jeremy was unable to land his triple axel at worlds does not seem to warrant a coaching change. It seems that lately all it takes is one bad skate at worlds to make a skater drop a coach.
Tom Zakrajsek has been Jeremy's coach for a long time and is arguably responsible for the later's success. They always appeared to have a great relationship, but then again who can tell from a few moments in the kiss and cry?

"There are lots of different reasons for the move," Abbott said. "[Wanting to be] the only top skater was part of it, a small part of it. I loved training with Brandon and Ryan and Rachael and Alexe. They are all incredibly hard workers and good friends, but I am excited to be in a situation where Yuka doesn't have many other students."

Can it be that he is feeling threatened by Mroz? I can't help but think that as Tom's oldest student Jeremey would have had plenty of time with his coach, and as National Champion he must certainly be "top dog."

I just don't like this move period, but I hope I am proved wrong.

KayMil01

On the Ice
I would think I'd be a great motivation to train along side other skaters to push him, like Mroz...but if Jeremy wanted to be the only main skater well, then that's what he wants. Hope all goes well with Yuka.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
seems an odd choice to me, but we'll be seeing Yuka in the K&C this season so I'll take it! :biggrin:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I keep reading fair minded messages about how Evan needs other skaters to mess up in order to win at big competitions. Could this also be the case with Jeremy? At Natls Evan was far from his best and Johnny was a non-factor leaving the title to a cleaner skating Jeremy.

Generally speaking, I believe that most competitions are won because other skaters make mistakes. It is rather rare that all skaters on the podium have skated faultlessly and done everything they were supposed to do.

I´m surprised about Abbott´s choice for his coach and very much about the timing, also. Yes, he will have a lot more attention now, but will the quantity be more important than a proven quality? Anyway, Abbott is one of my favourite skaters and I wish him and Yuka Sato the best!

Generally speaking, I believe that most competitions are won because other skaters make mistakes. It is rather rare that all skaters on the podium have skated faultlessly and done everything they were supposed to do.

I´m surprised about Abbott´s choice for his coach and very much about the timing, also. Yes, he will have a lot more attention now, but will the quantity be more important than a proven quality? Anyway, Abbott is one of my favourite skaters and I wish him and Yuka Sato the best!
Good post, Jana! How many competitions have we seen where All or even MOST of the skaters actually skated their best. Buttle/Joubert were the only two in recent times, but not ALL.

We are all surprised at the move and to whom he is moving but the timing is a la kwan and look what happend to her.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I think that Yuka will be a good coach for him. First off, she is married to Jason Dungen (sp?) and he is a coach and I am sure that he will lend a hand. Two, her father is a coach and she spends a great deal of time around him and going to competitions when he is coaching. So....here's hoping that they both have a great season.

But....I wonder if this means that Yuka will not be skating in SOI next year??

sillylionlove

Medalist
If anyone has facebook should become a fan of Jeremy Abbott. He has been updating his fan page quite often and today he stated that he is looking for an apartment and yesterday he went to lunch with Yuka and Jason and was navigating Ikea. I know when he goes to competitions, his mother updates the site as she did with the World Team Trophy...just wanted to let eveyrone know!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he is very interactive on facebook, that's for sure. I enjoy reading it, myself :)

sillylionlove

Medalist
he is very interactive on facebook, that's for sure. I enjoy reading it, myself :)

Yes I really enjoy reading his posts and looking at his picture and links to his program. Toni...didn't know you were on facebook......we will have to connect on there!!

I'm just putting it out there... if he skates to Hat Full of Stars, I'm turning the telly off!!!

I have the complete set of Yuka's 1096 performances, on 8 DVDs. :love: I think I'll do a Hatful of Stars marathon this weekend, while I'm waiting for the Grand Prix schedule to be announced. :yes: