Stop tanning! | Golden Skate

Stop tanning!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Article in London Times

Really, just stop tanning! No sunbeds, no solariums, no summer holidays with 24/7 sunbathing. If you are pale, then you are pale, that's just it. That's your natural skin tone. Deal with it.

That's just one of many articles and studies emerging in the last years about the horrific results of this completely abnormal ideal of beauty. One of the articles I read was a German one and the title is "Warum Beduinen keine Badehosen tragen" (why Bedouins don't wear speedos). This articles says among other things that the skin turning brown is already a sign of overexposure. So not only getting a sunburn is increasing the risk for skin cancer, but also getting brown. The skin turning brown is already a sign for "It's enough with the sun already".

Other important facts: we don't even know for sure that sun blockers decrease the risk of melanoma, we only know that they decrease the risk of a sunburn.

So the best thing is to actually wear real clothes outside during the midday hours, long trousers, long shirts - just like the Bedouins. Or keep the usually pale surfaces of the body covered, abdomen, back, upper tighs. No running around in the bathing suit non-stop during the summer holidays.

Having you skin exposed to the sun / UV-rays also causes (temporary) immune deficiency. That it makes your skin age a lot faster you probably already know (because the collagen fibres are damaged).

I don't want people to panic, or to be overly cautious. Being outdoors is great. Just put decent clothes on, use sun blocker to prevent sunburns. Being tanned is not sexy or beautiful or a sign of health. It's dangerous and utterly unhealthy.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this is something that the US has been pushing for at least the last 5 years, possibly longer. We're not listening, but I remember a few years ago parents that allowed their teens to go tanning in a booth for prom were being brought up on abuse charges in some states (I want to say California was one of them, which wouldn't surprise me. They really regulate what parents can and can't do - or at least they try to).

I'm bad about not putting on sun screen... I know, it's bad... I just never really REMEMBER to. Going 8 months out of the year not having to the 4 that we do it just slips my mind... I did wear it on my FL and Cali trips... but I know I should also do it up here at home... especially since I tend to burn easily... and my grandfather deals with sun related skin cancer all the time.

Johar

Medalist
My dad had skin cancer. After two operations, cells traveled to his brain and turned into cancerous brain tumors. He died about a month after the tumors were found.

I remember seeing a 25-year-old hardcore tanner. I thought she was 50! She had deep lines all over her face, her skin saggy ad leatherly. Blech!

Wrlmy

Medalist
This is exactly why I'm stuck with overpriced spray-on tan.
Not that I would give up all the beach fun or running in sport bras, but I stopped grilling myself inside a booth.

Does spray-on tan material contain any toxin?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Does spray-on tan material contain any toxin?
As far as science / medicine knows, you are pretty safe if you are using products based on dihydroxyacetone (and most self-tanners are based on that). It only interacts with dead elements of your skin, so the tan is superficial.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
seeing Paula Abdul on the finals is enough to make anybody shun fake tanning forever.

Wrlmy

Medalist
^But isn't her complexion naturally dark? I still haven't figured out her ethnic background, so maybe I shouldn't guess.

as an avid reader of nutrition, it seems all are in agreement that the Sun is the best source of Vitamin D. However, for sunbathers looking for the vitamin, they must take the sun for no more than half hour.

Forget the tan, a half hour of sun plus a good calcium suplement will keep the bones in their proper density. Milk as we know it in America does not have Vitamin D3. It has has artificial D2.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^But isn't her complexion naturally dark? I still haven't figured out her ethnic background, so maybe I shouldn't guess.

yes her complexion is "darker" but not really as orangey brown as what her tan suggests :laugh:

I think Paula Abdul's father was Syrian (Sephardic Jewish) and Brazilian, and her mother was Canadian and French.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I used to tan all the time when I was younger. Then I read an article about skin cancer and it totally freaked me out. Now I don't go out in the sun!!

Alicja

On the Ice
I'm pale. I love it. People either ask me if I'm sick or they say sth like you look like snow white... :p

I used to tan all the time when I was younger. Then I read an article about skin cancer and it totally freaked me out. Now I don't go out in the sun!!
Many alternative doctors have gone back to believing the Sun is good for you but it is limited to how much exposure per day. Vitamin D3 is the best nutrient to put in your system. Milk doesn't have D3. The sun is best but half hour is enough.

I guarantee your energy level will increase with D3.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Many alternative doctors have gone back to believing the Sun is good for you but it is limited to how much exposure per day. Vitamin D3 is the best nutrient to put in your system. Milk doesn't have D3. The sun is best but half hour is enough.

I guarantee your energy level will increase with D3.
That's not just alternative doctors, the V-D3 is highly important. But you don't need to tan for that, just be outside each day, e.g. go to work, go for walk, jogging...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
...they say sth like you look like snow white... :p

Well, take that as a compliment - she was, after all, the fairest of them all... which is the reason the witch went all wacky and tried to get her. So stay away from old hags with apples and you should be fine.:rofl:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
After last Summer of tanning outdoors, I decided not to do it anymore. A little bit of color isn't worth what uv rays do to the texture of skin.

I tan easily on my arm/shoulders, but it's near impossible for my face to tan. I enjoyed being super dark when I was under 18, but it's not as easy anymore. You'd never know I have native american roots.

I may try a professional spray tan, someday, but for now, I'm stayin' pale.

antmanb

Record Breaker
That's not just alternative doctors, the V-D3 is highly important. But you don't need to tan for that, just be outside each day, e.g. go to work, go for walk, jogging...

Medusa (since you seem to actually have some medical knowledge about this!) I've seen some programmes on TV that talk about UV rays being helpful for psoriasis? If that is indeed true (and I have watched a number of shows that seems to use not necessairly a tradtional sunbed, though it looks very similar to one, to treat the condition) then are the UV rays still as damaging to skin suffering from this condition so, while you may imporve the way the skin looks and the sufferer starts to look "normal", are you still damaging the skin badly?

Ant