Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up! | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!

seniorita

Record Breaker
So, Plushy has been a master of the quads (I dissented, you'll recall), an X-man (I believe we chose Mystique) and is now an android? What's next, a cyborg?
Oh I m not thinking of plushy everytime i speak about something (surprised ? :laugh:), i was thinking the whole packet, him, shen/zhao, cohen, kwan, as a new body of skaters to threaten earth, pretty much like Mathman's picture:p, but think of the trailer, The C O M E B A C K S...coming at a theater near you:p I have vivid imagination, what can i say:rolleye:
seniorita, are you sure you're a Plushenko fan ?

last time I checked yes! Le Zar is coming back!:rock:

wishmaker

Rinkside
SENIORITA, you're really made me laugh when I read "...but think of the trailer. The COMEBACKS...coming at a theater near you"

Medusa

Record Breaker
This year we have a different schedule, right? It's the NA-events last and I think it was partly because they wanted to increase the quality of the competition (the first events of the season are never the best) and because they wanted to generate more excitement before the Olympics by having SC and SA about 2 months before the Olympics.

But then I have a question. Both SA and SC have relatively weak fields. The Men's and Ladies' event at SA is extremely weak compared to Japan or France. The Men's in Canada isn't much better, and Joannie Rochette can ask Skate Canada to send her the Gold by mail.

Is that the way to generate excitement, by inviting the weakest fields to the competitions? Or was it only about seeing the NA-skaters win before the Olympics and not about presenting the sport at it's best?

I agree about the U.S. Champions should be feeling snubbed for not being invited to SA. But at least it happened to three out of four disciplines, so nobody should feel especially slighted.
Why feel snubbed? It's a Sport and do those PGA Golfers complain about where they are playing? I put the same weight of difficulty on all the GP segments. Of course, if one is looking for NBC coverage, you won't get much more than an incomplete Ladies, and maybe a brief Dance. So I don't even see why the American fans get worked up over who is skating in SA.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I agree about the U.S. Champions should be feeling snubbed for not being invited to SA. But at least it happened to three out of four disciplines, so nobody should feel especially slighted.

If you look at the USFSA banner, all 5 skaters/teams had a bad showing at their respective World Championship. ( 3 of them finished 11th. ) And all of them had another American skater/team finish in front of them, even the synchronized team.

Men's in Canada isn't much better, and Joannie Rochette can ask Skate Canada to send her the Gold by mail.

Yes, Joannie is certain to win ...........
.................unless she gets mule-kicked off the top of the podium. :biggrin:

So I don't even see why the American fans get worked up over who is skating in SA.

This is how I look at it.

It is the mission of the USFSA to promote the sport of figure skating in the United States. Skate America is the second most prestigious event on the USFSA calendar, after U.S. Nationals.

It is not the job of the USFSA to promote the Cup of China -- that's the job of the Chinese federation.

The Grand Prix is a creation of the ISU. The interests of the USFSA may not always coincide with those of the ISU.

Last edited:
This year we have a different schedule, right? It's the NA-events last and I think it was partly because they wanted to increase the quality of the competition (the first events of the season are never the best) and because they wanted to generate more excitement before the Olympics by having SC and SA about 2 months before the Olympics.

I think it was entirely the second reason. I think this was part of the package deal negotiated between USFS and the U.S. television network

But then I have a question. Both SA and SC have relatively weak fields.

Is that the way to generate excitement, by inviting the weakest fields to the competitions? Or was it only about seeing the NA-skaters win before the Olympics and not about presenting the sport at it's best?

I think the last sentence is correct. The audience that U.S. television is trying to attract does not know the difference between good skating and bad. But they know about waving the flag at the Olympics.

What they really hope, in my opinion, is that between now and the Olympics some American lady will jump out ahead of the pack and they will have their new princess to tout.

Or it could be more than one, like we had Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin in gymnatsics at the summer Olympics. U-S-A! U-S-A!

sillylionlove

Medalist
I could really care less who is skating where...I am excited to go to Skate America regardless of who is skating there...I enjoy skating no matter who I am watching.

The audience that U.S. television is trying to attract does not know the difference between good skating and bad. But they know about waving the flag at the Olympics.
That seems a wee bit condescending even though I understand what you're talking about. I think the strategy may backfire if the competition is ho-hum. Hopefully Sasha will triumph and it won't be! :agree:

Kypma

Final Flight
Slightly off the current topic here, but here's an article about Mira Lueng not getting any Grand Prix assignemnts -- it seems she's on the alternate list and not entirely 'not a possibility' for the Olympic Team. However, without any international competitions before Nationals, one has to wonder how she'll fare there and perhaps in front of the international judges at the Olympics.

-Kypma

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do we even know if Skate Canada put Leung on the list of skaters eligible to receive GP invitations? She may be theoretically eligible to be named as a substitute, but not if Skate Canada didn't submit her name, and since she isn't on the National team, that is entirely possible.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Do we even know if Skate Canada put Leung on the list of skaters eligible to receive GP invitations? She may be theoretically eligible to be named as a substitute, but not if Skate Canada didn't submit her name, and since she isn't on the National team, that is entirely possible.

I'm not sure it works that way. If Mira won Worlds, would she get no assignments if Skate Canada left her off some list or another? As I understand it, her federation doesn't have much say.

feraina

Record Breaker
So I heard from a reliable source that TEB did draw first, at least for ladies, and they went for all the strongest entries. Gosh, the French federation must be so excited to be landing such a great field. I have no doubt that they will be promoting TEB!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure it works that way. If Mira won Worlds, would she get no assignments if Skate Canada left her off some list or another? As I understand it, her federation doesn't have much say.

Mira didn't win Worlds---she finished 7th in one GP event and 11th in the other last season, then was 6th (and off the Canadian team) at Nationals. Skate Canada had every right not to submit her name for the GP.

If you recall, after 2006 Worlds (where Sokolova finished 4th), the Russian federation 'retired' her by not submitting her name for GP invitations the following season, even though she would have been a seeded skater. Sokolova hasn't competed anywhere since then.

So I heard from a reliable source that TEB did draw first, at least for ladies, and they went for all the strongest entries. Gosh, the French federation must be so excited to be landing such a great field. I have no doubt that they will be promoting TEB!
Interesting but even if TEB drew first, wouldn't the other Feds have a chance to pick strong entries? Are not the straws done in the fashion of picking one at a time in order and then repeat?

If the first straw picks ALL what he wants, then I think there is deal making in the back room.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After the host picks, the 1-3 seeds are picked first, and there is a draw for pick order at each stage. France may have gotten first pick, and took Kim. Then there is a draw for pick order for the 4-6 seeds. France probably got to pick early again, and took Asada.

There's a draw for pick order for the 7-12 group, another for each category of the guaranteed spots (1-24 on ISU Ranking list, 1-24 on SB list, Junior medalists), and finally a draw for the remaining spots.

I somehow doubt that France drew first for each round of picks, but they may have been lucky enough to draw early for all the Ladies picks.

antmanb

Record Breaker
After the host picks, the 1-3 seeds are picked first, and there is a draw for pick order at each stage. France may have gotten first pick, and took Kim. Then there is a draw for pick order for the 4-6 seeds. France probably got to pick early again, and took Asada.
I somehow doubt that France drew first for each round of picks, but they may have been lucky enough to draw early for all the Ladies picks.

Or maybe france got "left" with Asada because no-one else wanted her. Flatt must have been picked by SA, which would have left only Mao and Lepisto to choose from.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or maybe france got "left" with Asada because no-one else wanted her. Flatt must have been picked by SA, which would have left only Mao and Lepisto to choose from.

Ant

I doubt that very much. Asada is the reigning GPF Champion and former World Champion and has always been a popular pick. She and Kim are viewed as two of the main threats for the 2010 OGM, and an early-season matchup should be a great audience draw.