Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!

MKFSfan

Medalist
So, the top 3 at Worlds get to pick their spots? Then how do the host countries pick-I assume goes in some sort of order, starting with one particular hosr each year. Who got 1st choice this year? And then who gets to choose, the stop after them?

Excited for TEB!!!! Very strange Japan went with Miki over Mao, but I guess it's because Miki medaled at Worlds. Really hope Michelle is the TBA for SA!!!

So, the top 3 at Worlds get to pick their spots? Then how do the host countries pick-I assume goes in some sort of order, starting with one particular hosr each year. Who got 1st choice this year? And then who gets to choose, the stop after them?

Nobody seems to know exactly what goes on in these meetings. The top skaters get to express their preferences, through their federations, but they don't always get what they put in for. There is supposed to be a randowm draw to see which host picks first, second, etc. But my impression is that there is a whole lot of bargaining and horse trading off the record among the federations to come up with the final list.

Very strange Japan went with Miki over Mao, but I guess it's because Miki medaled at Worlds.

What's even stranger is that NHK could have selected both Miki and Mao. Miki from the 1-3 category and Mao from 4-6. These host picks come first, so other federations could not get either skater first if the Japanese Fed wanted them.

Maybe they offered Mao and Oda to TEB as a package. We'll let you have Mao if you also take Nobunari. :)

MKFSfan

Medalist
Thank you! I thought it was 1-4 after Worlds, not 1-3. Hmm...wonder if Mao asked to skate in earlier GP events? That way she'd have more time to prepare for the Olympics. Just does not make any sense why else they wouldn't grab her.

Also wonder how Sasha managed 2 events. She chose not to compete for 3 seasons. I can see if she was injured, had surgery, but she was still skating on tour.

janetfan

Match Penalty
What's even stranger is that NHK could have selected both Miki and Mao. Miki from the 1-3 category and Mao from 4-6. These host picks come first, so other federations could not get either skater first if the Japanese Fed wanted them.
Maybe they offered Mao and Oda to TEB as a package. We'll let you have Mao if you also take Nobunari. :)

I suspect Mao got what Tarasova wanted for her.They have a lot to work on and with Mao skating in Russia and France she stays close to her home base and this saves them both travel time. The last I read was that Tat said there will be no mistakes this year. And Mao is supposededly training ballet now too so it's not like she and Tat need to be flying all over the world for these GP's.
Their eye is on the prize and GP in Japan or anywhere is most likely meaningless to them right now. I would bet Mao asked Japan not to select her as Tat probably didn't want to disrupt her training or make such a long trip that would be of no benefit to them.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
host country might have wanted her for SA? and then TEB had to take her? who knows? :laugh:

Mikoto

Rinkside
Thank you! I thought it was 1-4 after Worlds, not 1-3. Hmm...wonder if Mao asked to skate in earlier GP events? That way she'd have more time to prepare for the Olympics. Just does not make any sense why else they wouldn't grab her.

Also wonder how Sasha managed 2 events. She chose not to compete for 3 seasons. I can see if she was injured, had surgery, but she was still skating on tour.

Because whether Mao will be there or not, tickets will be sold out anyway?

I cannot get how these comeback skaters could get 2 spots. Isn't it unfair? Many skaters who competed in the past few seasons got only 1 spot .

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
my Mac is downloading the files from ISU as .php files, and I can't open them. Any advice, or does someone know of another way they are posted?

I couldn't open the files in Firefox but could in Safari. Try that.

I cannot get how these comeback skaters could get 2 spots. Isn't it unfair?

In my opinion it is worse than unfair, it is against the ISU's own rules.

If they had passed a rule at the last Congress that returning Olympic medalists would be eligible for Grand Prix assignments, then so be it. But they didn't. They are just ignoring their own rules. I wish some skater who only got 1 assignment would sue them. :yes:

sillylionlove

Medalist
First off let me start by saying that I am so excited to be going to SA!!

I am not going to get to excited about anything as I am sure that in the next few months there will be a ton of changes!!

Now...when the heck did Shen and Zhao decided that they were going to come back? I was not expecting this...I really enjoyed seeing them in SOI and I am quite surprised that they are coming back!!!
Who are the two pairs teams that the US is going to fill at SA?

And who is going to fill that third spot for the women in SA??? I am sure that there will be speculation until that spot is filled.
The TEB field for the women blows my mind!!!

If Del/Sho show up at SA (which I don't hold much hope unless Isabelle plans on giving birth on the ice) the dance field is really packed!!

Plushenko in Russia...I will believe it when the competition is over.

Should be an interesting year and should be full of surprises!!

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In my opinion it is worse than unfair, it is against the ISU's own rules.

If they had passed a rule at the last Congress that returning Olympic medalists would be eligible for Grand Prix assignments, then so be it. But they didn't. They are just ignoring their own rules. I wish some skater who only got 1 assignment would sue them. :yes:

If you read the ISU Communication concerning this season's Grand Prix qualifications you will find the loophole rule that was inserted that allows for skaters like Cohen and Kwan to compete on the Grand Prix. One can argue with it being put there, but since it is, the ISU is not breaking it's own rules.

pippa

Rinkside

The World Champions get first choice of two GP events. Then the World silver medalists get to choose two different events (they can't choose the same events as the Champions), and the World bronze medalists then get the remaining two events. It is set up so that way so the top three finishers at Worlds get spread out among GP events.

pippa

Rinkside
By the way, if one ends up out of podium in TEB, how high is the probability that the skater will make it to GF? I think it's very low, isn't it?

It depends on how everyone does, but this year Abbott made the GPF with one gold and one fourth place finish on the GP circuit.

dannyascii

On the Ice
AHHHHHHH! It's Shen and Zhao!!!!:clap:
This season looks like it's about to be one of the most memorable seasons in a long time. Old talent v. new talent. It's gonna be awesome.
I'm gonna try to go see SC men. That's a great field and it's really up in the air. Takahashi obviously would probably be favored, but Chan is very strong, and if Ten can do a repeat of worlds...who knows. Ahhh! So exciting! Good stuff :agree:

tarotx

On the Ice
It obviously isn't against the rules since Sasha was picked. I think the no fault of their own means that a Skater competed the past fews years and didn't qualify. Skaters such as Sasha didn't compete. Who knows maybe Sasha got a note form her dr saying she was mentally worn out and that counted as a no fault of her own similar to an injury since the mental issues of skating is just as important as the health of the body.

MKFSfan

Medalist
If you read the ISU Communication concerning this season's Grand Prix qualifications you will find the loophole rule that was inserted that allows for skaters like Cohen and Kwan to compete on the Grand Prix. One can argue with it being put there, but since it is, the ISU is not breaking it's own rules.

Yes, but IIRC, it states something about comeback skaters can get two assignments if the reason for missing competition was "due to no fault of their own." Michelle may fall into that loophole-injured, surgery, recuperation...even if she did participate in college and diplomatic duties, she could still say she couldn't compete due to rehabbing from injury/surgery...But Sasha? She was on a skating tour. Can't claim she couldn't compete because she couldn't skate!

edited to add-tarotx, I was wondering the same thing, that if the rule applies to "no fault of their own" due to injury, etc, if Sasha could find a therapist who could claim she suffered mentally.

Last edited:

I have read it very carefully.

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1403

The clause that is usually quoted as the supposed loop-hole is section 2.2, paragrqph (e):

Skaters/couples seeded in any previous year and who due to injury or no fault of there own, were forced to sit out competitive seasons could be considered for selection for up to 2 assignment, if they return to competitive skating.

This obviously does not apply to Sasha, or as far as I know, to Shen and Zhao.

Then there is section 2.2 paragraph (h).

In addition to the seeded skaters/couples and the above-mentioned onvited skaters/couples, each host ISU member may selct additional skaters/couple in accordance with selection procedures established by the ISU Figure Skating Event Coordination Group.

Is that the “loophole” you are referring to? That this paragraph means that this “Group” can set aside the rules and make up new rules on the spot, which are not in the published document, without consulting anyone?

It obviously isn't against the rules since Sasha was picked.

I am not convinced by this logic. I would say, rather, the ISU obviously broke its own rule since Sasha was picked. :eek:hwell:

Sasha was not "forced to sit out three seasons through no fault of her own."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now let's just see if Sasha is ready and in competition shape for TEB. She has just 4 1/2 months to get back all her jumps and be fit enough to make it through a 4-minute FS with 6 or 7 triples.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I do not think Cohen will do TEB.

Regardless of whether she is there or not, the Kim/Asada rivalry right off the bat will start the season off with a bang.

wishmaker

Rinkside
I am not convinced by this logic. I would say, rather, the ISU obviously broke its own rule since Sasha was picked. :eek:hwell:

Sasha was not "forced to sit out three seasons through no fault of her own."

Same thoughts. It's obviously unfair. Whatever their deal was, I do hope Sasha can really compete. And regarding Michelle, I think she's playing it safe first and then decide a little later on, that's her prerogative. But again, this GP will be the most exciting with the current skaters and the COMEBACKS.