Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Prediction Thread for Trophée Eric 2009

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
NB: There's a chance for Joubert to WD, if he bombs in September's Masters, i.e. loses to Ponsero, Preaubert and Amodio and needs more time to work on his fancy free program and costume. But he'll be OK toward the end of the season.

Mmmm. It would take something really important for Brian to withdraw from the TEB, as for him it's one of the most important competitions, it being in France. He'd either have to be injured, ill or really, and I mean really, not prepared.

Mmmm. It would take something really important for Brian to withdraw from the TEB, as for him it's one of the most important competitions, it being in France. He'd either have to be injured, ill or really, and I mean really, not prepared.
More than likely he'll be there along with his father who hates figure skating. Hope this doesn't bother Brian. Rumor had, it did bother him the past.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I'm seriously considering going this year, BTW. I am currently in search of a victim who might consider giving up a few vacation days to go to Paris with me :biggrin:.

you ll come to teb?:)thats great!i might throw you at the end to joubert as a gift:biggrin:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Hopes: That Asada and Kim tie. Could you imagine the reaction from their fanbases if that happened?

There will be war. Eventhou i personally think, a tie is a tie and both should be rewarded Gold and give the next person a bronze and no silver. Or a silver and no bronze.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
you ll come to teb?:)thats great!i might throw you at the end to joubert as a gift:biggrin:
Please don't make me wear his SP outfit if you do that :biggrin:.

I really want to come to TEB, but don't want to go on my own to Paris and so far have had no luck finding friends who can afford the trip and are able to take the time off. I'm still working on it.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Please don't make me wear his SP outfit if you do that .

I had not thought of it before, but now you mention it, thats a great idea:biggrin:

I ll be in paris, i have not booked anything but it s just around the corner and I may cheer for jouby also with you!I will try at least;)

pokky_oc

On the Ice
I'm going YAY! So excited! My predictions are:

Mens
1. Brian Joubert
2. Tomas Verner/ Nobunari Oda
3. Tomas Verner/ Nobunari Oda/ Alban Preaubert/ Yannick Ponsero

Remember, French skaters always skate welll in France! ( Except for Joubert last year ) Oda could get the gold if he skates clean so is Verner!

Ladies
1. Mao Asada / Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada / Yu-Na Kim
3. Caroline Zhang / Yukari Nakano

Ok, it's way too easy to think that Mao or Yu-Na will take the gold! Hopefully Mao does amazingly well landing her 3-3 and 3As! Yu-Na, since she is the favorite to win this... Anything can happen! Mao isn't a stable skater if she plans something so difficult that she won't be able to pull off! Yu-Na never takes risk or challenge so her program ( Jumps, Spins ) will be same as last season! So she'll most likely skate clean or close to clean!

Bronze is hard but Caroline since she's 16 and she has amazing spins and good jumps! Nakano is a good skater too! Carolina could even win a gold but I don't know how well she is right now... Sasha won't have enough technical content, I don't think she'll take the gold or silver...

jaws12345

Match Penalty
I'm going YAY! So excited! My predictions are:

Mens
1. Brian Joubert
2. Tomas Verner/ Nobunari Oda
3. Tomas Verner/ Nobunari Oda/ Alban Preaubert/ Yannick Ponsero

Remember, French skaters always skate welll in France! ( Except for Joubert last year ) Oda could get the gold if he skates clean so is Verner!

Ladies
1. Mao Asada / Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada / Yu-Na Kim
3. Caroline Zhang / Yukari Nakano

Ok, it's way too easy to think that Mao or Yu-Na will take the gold! Hopefully Mao does amazingly well landing her 3-3 and 3As! Yu-Na, since she is the favorite to win this... Anything can happen! Mao isn't a stable skater if she plans something so difficult that she won't be able to pull off! Yu-Na never takes risk or challenge so her program ( Jumps, Spins ) will be same as last season! So she'll most likely skate clean or close to clean!

I guess you are rooting for Asada, but let's try not to express support by denouncing other skaters' effort. IMHO, it is vastly unfair to claim in a negative way that Yu-Na "does not take risk or challenge." She does not change her jumping passages because she does not have to; why on earth would a skater spend her energy and resources in changing something that perfectly works for her, while she can use the resources to focus on other important elements, like improving the overall program quality and artistic expression? In fact, her PCS throughout last season clearly shows where her focus has been. Besides, I think she has been challenging herself quite enough by taking very different programs every season since she started competing in the senior circuit. Asada is a good skater, and I hope both have great competitions next season for us.

Last edited:
I guess you are rooting for Asada, but let's try not to express support by denouncing other skaters' effort. IMHO, it is vastly unfair to claim in a negative way that Yu-Na "does not take risk or challenge."
I don't think the previous poster said anything worthy of reprimand. People are allowed to express opinions here, aren't they?

All you have to do is explain why you think she's wrong, as you did.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
I don't think the previous poster said anything worthy of reprimand. People are allowed to express opinions here, aren't they?

All you have to do is explain why you think she's wrong, as you did.

If I did, I might have gone off a bit because I am just tired of seeing this line of argument popping up all the time mostly from Asada fans(of course not all, just very few among them). Both Yu-Na and Mao are hard-working, fantastic athletes, and I wanted to point out that there are ways of supporting our favorite skater without denouncing anyone's effort in the process. If you say that's still too much, so be it.

Last edited:
These predictions may be fun, but are also too silly to take seriously. Who actually predicted Evan's World win? And reports on practices do not add to making predictions more accurate. We may know the music before hand but is that any gage for predicting? Predictions are simply based on a) favorites or b) more serious, based on past best performances with no guarantee that the skater will repeat those.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
and I wanted to point out that there are ways of supporting our favorite skater without denouncing anyone's effort in the process.

I agree with you. Every skater has hard training, so they have to be respected.

But I don't think pocky_oc claimed Yuna in negative way. Saying "does not take risk or challenge." doesn't mean "She is not improving". I think Yuna's technical strategy is "do what she can do correctly, beautifully, perfectly without taking the risk". It's her right strategy and very suits to Cop.So, pocky_oc said "she'll most likely skate clean or close to clean!", I guess;).

berrycute

On the Ice
LADIES
1. Carolina Kostner (new coach unleashes her true potential! yaaaaay!!!)
2. Mao Asada
3. Yu-Na Kim
4. Sasha Cohen
5. Caroline Zhang
6. Yukari Nakano
7. Kiira Korpi

GENTS
1. Brian Joubert
2. Nubunari Oda
3. Adam Rippon
4. Yannick Ponsero
5. Sergei Voronov
6. Alban Preaubert

PAIRS
1. Savchenko and Szolkowy
2. Mukhortova and Trankov
3. Dubé and Davison

DANCE
1. Virtue and Moir
2. Pechalat and Bourzat
3. Kerr and Kerr
4. Samuelson and Bates
5. Rubleva/Shefer

harmy18

Rinkside
my prediction:
Men: Joubert or Dda

Ladies: Cohen, if she's not withdraw

Pairs: Savchenko and Szolkowy

Dance: Virtue and Moir

People are allowed to express opinions here, aren't they?

Totally agree:clap:

If I did, I might have gone off a bit because I am just tired of seeing this line of argument popping up all the time mostly from Asada fans.
Sorry, I saw tons of these from KIM's fans, why not mention them too? well, maybe, I guess, from the buttom of your heart, you think KIM is FAR better than ASADA, so you can't bear anything that sounds not good to KIM. Do you regard yourself as a sage?

jaws12345

Match Penalty
my prediction:
Men: Joubert or Dda

Ladies: Cohen, if she's not withdraw

Pairs: Savchenko and Szolkowy

Dance: Virtue and Moir

Totally agree:clap:

Sorry, I saw tons of these from KIM's fans, why not mention them too? well, maybe, I guess, from the buttom of your heart, you think KIM is FAR better than ASADA, so you can't bear anything that sounds not good to KIM. Do you regard yourself as a sage?

Well, I don't mention them because so far I didn't have chance to talk to anyone who claim that they are Yu-Na's fans and at the same time argue that she plays safe all the time. And while I think Kim did better job than Asada at the Worlds 09 - Kim is the current World champion as a result - we don't know what is going to happen and who is going to prove herself to be a better skater in the next season, right?

Again going back to my original point, I simply expressed my opinion that saying negative things about other skaters is not a nice way of showing one's support toward a skater the person roots for. And again, I might have overreacted because people I talked to who made that line of argument turned out to be Asada fans most of the time (again, there are only only very few of them, but I found them very persistent). Understandable, for Kim and Asada being supposedly rivals and all, but tired of that same old argument. Why say negative things about any skaters, not only about Kim, but about Asada or any other skaters in that matter? Are we not capable of discussing skaters like Simon and Chris do over at Eurosport? Or am I just too naive to hope for that to happen?

Last edited:

Final Flight
LADIES
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Carolina Kostner

MENS
1. Brian Joubert
2. Nubunari Oda
3. Sergei Voronov

PAIRS
1. Savchenko and Szolkowy
2. Mukhortova and Trankov
3. Dubé and Davison

DANCE
1. Pechalat and Bourzat
2. Kerr and Kerr
3. Samuelson and Bates

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wow - do you really think Virtue and Moir will miss out the medals completely? Do you know something we don't?

And I tend to agree with jaws. Obviously, criticisms of skaters are fine, but what's the point of bringing one down just to make your favourite look better. Mt. Everest is still the tallest mountain on Earth, no need to set dynamite to K2.

Final Flight
Wow - do you really think Virtue and Moir will miss out the medals completely? Do you know something we don't?

And I tend to agree with jaws. Obviously, criticisms of skaters are fine, but what's the point of bringing one down just to make your favourite look better. Mt. Everest is still the tallest mountain on Earth, no need to set dynamite to K2.

it's only my prediction. im no licensed psychic.