Sasha Gets 2 Grand Prix - SA and TEB | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Gets 2 Grand Prix - SA and TEB

janetfan

Match Penalty
The bottom line about all of this is that the discussion is about the ISU rules governing 2 GPs and not about individual former Oly medalists.

Sasha, S/Z, Plush fans should be ok with this administrative matter.:) and by all means, comment on it.

OK Joe, maybe I read them, or some of them, and it is possible I forgot who said this about that. It does take a bit of time to get a feeling for so many different members here.
I am actually a Caroline fan and hope she, more than any other US Lady gets to Vancouver this year. As to Sasha , like so many, I just love watching her skate so of course I couldn't imagine that even ISU would be silly enough to leave her out of the GP's.
BTW, would you like the link to the unpublished rules for GP selection?

Danale

On the Ice
The reason that I am annoyed with the ISU is because I enjoy learning how sports governing bodies work. The ISU has one set of publically accessible rules, then they have another set of behind the scenes rules that they don't tell us about, then they have the hidden rules about when you can and when you can't break the rules, then they have The Committee that doesn't care about the rules -- and then they have Mr. Cinquanta. :laugh:

Thanks, MM. I can understand the annoyance with rules that change based on interests. And Mr. Cinquanta as a 'second shooter' definitely makes sense. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I am sure that she is shocked herself. She was preparing to be ready by November, not the first week of October. I am pretty much just waiting for the withdrawal announcement, the question only remains when it will come.

Same here, but didn't she say she wanted two GPs? In requesting two, I'd assume she'd know the possibility of getting an October assignment was quite high. She could have only requested one (SA) and save that TEB spot for a deserving skater. (Although, there still seem to be plenty of TBA's to go around)

With or without her, TEB has got the best lineup.

wishmaker

Rinkside
Sasha has been given these two assignments-it's already decided. But if she doesn't deliver and deliver well, everybody knows that the US is sensitive about how much they are in need of a good competitor in spite of having good ones already. They should just be contented and proud of their current skaters and for whatever level they are in, they should be supported and encouraged instead of bringing back other skaters, which of course will cause controversy and probably chip off the confidence of their current skaters.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sasha has been given these two assignments-it's already decided. But if she doesn't deliver and deliver well, everybody knows that the US is sensitive about how much they are in need of a good competitor in spite of having good ones already. They should just be contented and proud of their current skaters and for whatever level they are in, they should be supported and encouraged instead of bringing back other skaters, which of course will cause controversy and probably chip off the confidence of their current skaters.

Hmmm - I take it that you are not happy about Michelle's possible/imminent return then? I am a Caroline fan and I figure if she is not ready to beat Sasha or Michelle - then she is not ready to beat Yuna or Mao ......or Miki....or Joannie.....or Carolina K......
I think I am more on the side of developing our younger group (guys and girls) but at what expense? Don't older skaters like Sasha and Johnny deserve another shot - if they can earn it on the ice?
I also have big faith in Mirai and hope she will be a future podium contender at the biggest events. But if she is not ready I dont see the harm in letting Sasha, or even Alissa who is no kid anymore get the ticket to Vancouver.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
The bottom line about all of this is that the discussion is about the ISU rules governing 2 GPs and not about individual former Oly medalists.

Sasha, S/Z, Plush fans should be ok with this administrative matter.:) and by all means, comment on it.

Plushy didnt get two Grand Prix so we will never know..
-maybe he didnt want to as he didnt want to also in the previous Olympic season (no joke),
-maybe since his case was not no fault of his own category the rules actually applied only on him (joke),
-or maybe he wanted to do two events and nobody asked for him- no federation wanted him(i guess this is also a joke).
On a very serious note of mine, I think sasha got two events so the Skating Boards have something to be occupied during the summer:laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
On a very serious note of mine, I think sasha got two events so the Skating Boards have something to be occupied during the summer

...and the inevitable withdrawal announcement once the summer's over. :p

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
...and the inevitable withdrawal announcement once the summer's over. :p

Noooo, do these things happen?:unsure:
I hope she doesnt withdraw from TEB, but if that happens i can imagine already the topic "why sasha withdrew, came out of the blue?"(it rhymes :laugh:)

at least you can sunbathe nonchalant during vacations.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Plushy didnt get two Grand Prix so we will never know..
-maybe he didnt want to as he didnt want to also in the previous Olympic season (no joke)
This recent article mentions only Russia as the GP Plushenko was hoping for: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090520&content_id=4837644&vkey=ice_news
The Russian wants to debut his programs in competition at the end of September and will ask the Figure Skating Federation of Russia to invite him to the Rostelecom Cup (formerly the Cup of Russia) in Moscow this October.
I believe it's been mentioned that he might also compete at Finlandia Trophy (Senior B event) prior to the start of the GP season.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
yes i know he wanted only one from start, that was the only part i was talking seriously :) thanx for article!
the other two possibilities were my exercise to speculations :p
His first competition is in Samara and then somewhere else I dont remember, internal russian events, he did the same events when he came back from surgery in previous Olympic Season. I remember plush going to Fillandia Trophy a zillion years ago!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Once again, Sasha is just following through with everything she stated from the get go.

Example: Sasha said in her official comeback announcement that she would like to get a second GP assignment in order to get the much needed experience, and she got it. Likewise, Plushenko only wanted COR, he got it. No big mystery. The skaters express their individual wishes to their separate federations & hope for the best. :) In this case, it worked out for both just fine & dandy.:p

Now the big long wait throughout the summer to hear bits & pieces of all the skaters programs, elements, costumes, music, et al, until F-I-N-A-L-L-Y the start of th season. Boy is it gonna be a looooooong hot summer.:boohoo:

wishmaker

Rinkside
I wasn't saying things in particular, Janet. Actually, I don't mind skaters coming back as I know it's in their hearts to skate, just as long as they can prove that they are competitive after a time of absence. And I do feel the current skaters should be supported and encouraged, as they are skating for their respective country.

gocaroline

On the Ice
:clap:
I wasn't saying things in particular, Janet. Actually, I don't mind skaters coming back as I know it's in their hearts to skate, just as long as they can prove that they are competitive after a time of absence. And I do feel the current skaters should be supported and encouraged, as they are skating for their respective country.
Well said!

gocaroline

On the Ice
Actually with 18 spots for US ladies this season, I don't feel any skater is taking away any other skater's place. But the arrangement of the GP is totally another story.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Originally Posted by Joesitz
Obvious, Janetfan does not remember my posts saying Sasha will get 2 GPs and ensuing onslaught that said it's against the rules. Well it was against the rules, and will the ISU give reasons why? No, it wont, and the rule will stand, and breaking the rule will be forgotten. No?

It seems it will be accepted - if not forgotten by most,,,,,,,,,,,,:)
I already am forgetting.
In fact I doubt if I will remember this post 30 minutes from now but I get the feeling someone will remind me of it. ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Actually with 18 spots for US ladies this season, I don't feel any skater is taking away any other skater's place. But the arrangement of the GP is totally another story.

Your name here would lead me to believe you are not thrilled with Caroline's GP assignments. All I can say is that I hope Caroline has a great performance at Natls and gets a ticket to Vancouver. She is my favorite US skater.

janetfan

Match Penalty

I enjoy your messages wishmaker. I was wondering what this one means though. Are you suggesting some skaters are skating for their country and others are only skating for themselves? Perhaps that is true to an extent but I am sure Caroline, Mirai, Rachael, etc along with Sasha all want to do well for themselves.
I have no idea which of them might be the most patriotic.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
that is easy, zhen and Zhao are world champs,they have competed since 1995 i think and it took them a while like 8 years to medal. and not from the us. also they got rooked out of a world title in 1999. they had to do it the hard way.
sasha got givens (cheated ) overlooked her mistakes from novice on up and they pushed her in front of other skaterssince she was 15 . Sasha the next big thing.
Sasha complained that Michelle was too old and she should get out to make way for the younger skaters. now Sasha doing the same thing, but instead of staying out and making way for the younger skaters. She wants to keep the younger skaters down and out. She has oversize ego problem (in my opinion).
Zhen Zhao didn't come across that way
evengeny only got 1

Sasha has said and did things off of the ice to make it difficult not to keep neutral and the USFSA and older skaters back her to the hilt at the expense of other skaters and the USFSA is still doing it.

gocaroline

On the Ice
Your name here would lead me to believe you are not thrilled with Caroline's GP assignments. All I can say is that I hope Caroline has a great performance at Natls and gets a ticket to Vancouver. She is my favorite US skater.
Same here:) Let's think maybe Caroline's GP assignment is acutally a blessing in disguise, coming to think of it, National will be so much easier if Caroline survives TEB with decent performance.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Same here:) Let's think maybe Caroline's GP assignment is acutally a blessing in disguise, coming to think of it, National will be so much easier if Caroline survives TEB with decent performance.

Don't you think Caroline could win SC? Or atleast get 2nd? It won't be easy but Joannie has not exactly been the world's most consistent skater over her career.