Sasha Gets 2 Grand Prix - SA and TEB | Golden Skate

Sasha Gets 2 Grand Prix - SA and TEB

These are much to her liking but did she deserve TEB?

I understand SA. The USFS has a right to select her as an invitee. but

What did she do to deserve TEB while others could only get 1 GP?

wishmaker

Rinkside
Exactly my thoughts, JOESITZ. I really do hope she can compete cause she's been doing shows the past years. Doing shows and competing are 2 different things. So, she's listed and with all the other COMEBACKS, I sure hate to hear about backing outs with whatever reasons they give. With the current skaters, I'll just have to see how they will survive the competition.

alopatra

Rinkside
well ... Shen and Zhao got 2 assignments too and nobody gets angry about that ... is there any difference?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see how Sasha would be ready to compete at TEB after being away from competition for 3.5 years, with only 4.5 months of training. Trying to do so is a recipe for injury.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well, Sasha has not been sitting on her couch, eating potato chips and drinking beer for the last 3 1/2 years. Still, I don't see how ISU rules allow her to get 2 assignments. I guess those guys decide what their rules say.

wishmaker

Rinkside
Me, too. I just don't how she did it and what their deal was. Something is not right and I doubt if they can pull whatever gimmick they have because the current competitions are not that easy to deal with. And if she comes out incapable and still gets into the podium with all the strong skaters, everybody will be fuming mad. Actually, it was just fine, (with them exiting to do shows instead of competing), where the current skaters have raised the level of competitions with all the difficult judging/scoring and with no dramas/excuses. The current skaters compete even with their injuries/sickness and all of a sudden a priviledge is granted to someone who went on vacation from competing with the pretense of illness/injury but actually did shows...?!#?!#

I do not have an objection to Sasha getting 2 GPs, but when I mentioned it in early part of the discussion, and with TEB being her choice - not the draw, I was clobbered with it was against the rules. Was it? because I had another argument that since she had the silver Oly medal from 2006, she would automatically go to 2010 Olys once she was done with the US Nats win or lose. Clobbered again. I'be been around long enough to have noticed that rules can be broken in life.

Anyway she competes against;

YuNa, Mao, Carolina and Caroline, Yukari and Kiiri ]

It is the ONE GP that tells it all. If she places here, Sasha is competitive; If she wins here, she should go to the Olys. We'll see.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Me, too. I just don't how she did it and what their deal was. Something is not right and I doubt if they can pull whatever gimmick they have because the current competitions are not that easy to deal with. And if she comes out incapable and still gets into the podium with all the strong skaters, everybody will be fuming mad. Actually, it was just fine, (with them exiting to do shows instead of competing), where the current skaters have raised the level of competitions with all the difficult judging/scoring and with no dramas/excuses. The current skaters compete even with their injuries/sickness and all of a sudden a priviledge is granted to someone who went on vacation from competing with the pretense of illness/injury but actually did shows...?!#?!#

I respect all the opinions but really - was there ever a doubt that the only returning Lady medalist from last Olympics would get two GP invitations?
I am sure Plushy could have also had two if he and the Russian federation wanted it. The GP series is wonderful and it does it's job well, which is to eliminate any competition from other possible skating shows. It keeps the best "amateurs" from turning pro too quickly and generally makes money for ISU.
But it is not Worlds or Olympics. It was created for a purpose and it serves that purpose well.

wishmaker

Rinkside
Your response is well appreciated, JANETFAN. Anyway, it's just my opinion and don't mean to cause a bad reaction.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Your response is well appreciated, JANETFAN. Anyway, it's just my opinion and don't mean to cause a bad reaction.

I agree with your opinion. Mine keeps changing :) but think it is clear enough to see that $a$ha brings something that I$U finds attractive.

Obvious, Janetfan does not remember my posts saying Sasha will get 2 GPs and ensuing onslaught that said it's against the rules. Well it was against the rules, and will the ISU give reasons why? No, it wont, and the rule will stand, and breaking the rule will be forgotten. No?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't see how Sasha would be ready to compete at TEB after being away from competition for 3.5 years, with only 4.5 months of training. Trying to do so is a recipe for injury.

I am sure that she is shocked herself. She was preparing to be ready by November, not the first week of October. I am pretty much just waiting for the withdrawal announcement, the question only remains when it will come.

Danale

On the Ice
Personally, I liked Sasha the first time around, and I would love to see her again. 2 GPs and everything. And I have to admit that I don't quite understand some of the reactions, so I must ask:
Is this because of the fluidity of the ISU rules?
Is it because she's, literally, taking the place of other US lady? and if so then which one?
I mean, if she's not ompetative, no harm done (right?), and if she is competative it'll be great for USFSA, ISU, the fans, and future US lady skaters.
Wouldn't actually boost FS in the US?

Obvious, Janetfan does not remember my posts saying Sasha will get 2 GPs and ensuing onslaught that said it's against the rules. Well it was against the rules, and will the ISU give reasons why? No, it wont, and the rule will stand, and breaking the rule will be forgotten. No?

I was one of those who wasted my time studying the official rules published on the ISU web site, and now I feel like a fool for having done so.

Bottom line, there is (naturally :laugh:) a committee. The ISU Figure Skating Event Coordination Group. Here is its membership as of last year (it might have changed this year).

Mr. David Dore, ISU Vice-President of Figure Skating & Coordinator ISU Figure Skating Event Coordination Group
Mr. Peter Krick, ISU Chair Sports Directorate
Ms. Felicitas Babusikova, ISU Sports Director Figure Skating
Ms. Patricia Mayor, ISU Sports Coordinator Figure Skating
Mr. Mario Meinel, ISU Event Coordinator
Ms. Rita Zonnekeyn, Member S&PTC
Ms. Halina Gordon-Poltorak, Member IDTC

This committee makes the final decision about who skates and who doesn't, and basically they can do whatever they want, including adding extra skaters to the mix who do not seem to be eligible by the ordinary rules.

One thing they are responsible for, by the way, is giving the OK to the TBA slots and to replacements for skaters who withdraw. The guideline is that they want these slots filled within 14 days of the event. If it gets down to 7 days, then the committee will "consider" just leaving that spot vacant because of possible visa problems and the expense of flying somewhere at the last minute.

Last edited:
Personally, I liked Sasha the first time around, and I would love to see her again. 2 GPs and everything. And I have to admit that I don't quite understand some of the reactions, so I must ask:

Is this because of the fluidity of the ISU rules?

Is it because she's, literally, taking the place of other US lady? and if so then which one?

I mean, if she's not competative, no harm done (right?), and if she is competative it'll be great for USFSA, ISU, the fans, and future US lady skaters.
Wouldn't actually boost FS in the US?

Overall, I think that is the right way to look at it. I look forward to seeing what Sasha can do, too.

The reason that I am annoyed with the ISU is because I enjoy learning how sports governing bodies work. The ISU has one set of publically accessible rules, then they have another set of behind the scenes rules that they don't tell us about, then they have the hidden rules about when you can and when you can't break the rules, then they have The Committee that doesn't care about the rules -- and then they have Mr. Cinquanta. :laugh:

I think I will just give up and enjoy the skating.:cool:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

It is true we ancient ones can have memory lapses. I am also a very new member here Joe so I probably did not read your message.
Or did you forget that :)
I am glad the debate about Sasha getting two GP's is over. There was never a chance she wouldn't get two unless she informed officials she only wanted SA.
Now the discussion can move forward /backward as to whether Sasha will show up for these events. Or will she be competitive. Or will she win Natls, etc. Those topics can be debated. Getting a second GP event was never in doubt,
A good example of "it" factor at play here. There is only one $a$ha :laugh:

It is true we ancient ones can have memory lapses. I am also a very new member here Joe so I probably did not read your message.
Or did you forget that :)
I am glad the debate about Sasha getting two GP's is over. There was never a chance she wouldn't get two unless she informed officials she only wanted SA.
Now the discussion can move forward /backward as to whether Sasha will show up for these events. Or will she be competitive. Or will she win Natls, etc. Those topics can be debated. Getting a second GP event was never in doubt,
A good example of "it" factor at play here. There is only one $a$ha :laugh:
Janetfan - It's your style of writing which tends to be official rather than opinionated. This is how I remember you, and a new member had to have seen all the statements I made about Sasha getting two GPs, and the retorts were all that it is against the rules. But you didn't, and you've never acknowledge that.

You are big fan of Sasha, and so am I, but I happen to enjoy many aspects of skating and not just one skater and not just one discipline and not commenting for the sake of commenting, but for the sake of being informed and not by unpublished reports.

The bottom line about all of this is that the discussion is about the ISU rules governing 2 GPs and not about individual former Oly medalists.

Sasha, S/Z, Plush fans should be ok with this administrative matter.:) and by all means, comment on it.