Sasha Gets 2 Grand Prix - SA and TEB | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha Gets 2 Grand Prix - SA and TEB

gocaroline

On the Ice
Don't you think Caroline could win SC? Or atleast get 2nd? It won't be easy but Joannie has not exactly been the world's most consistent skater over her career.
:agree::agree::agree:

Yes you are right Janetfan:agree: I was just so focused at TEB. Caroline definitely has great chance to medal or win the SC:)

LeCygne

Final Flight
If Caroline can get to the Final with her schedule, she will have her ticket to Vancouver.

She would need a good amount of luck at both of her events. She needs at least 4th at TEB to have any chance, period. (If luck is really on her side, perhaps 3rd is possible, but not likely).

Then at SC, she can probably manage 2nd, which might be enough if she somehow got 3rd at TEB. But if she didn't, she would have to win SC. And after last season, I don't see Joannie faltering...

janetfan

Match Penalty
If Caroline can get to the Final with her schedule, she will have her ticket to Vancouver.

I respectfully disagree. I dont know where all this emphasis on GP is coming from? Is it from newer skating fans? If Caroline is GP champion and skates poorly at nationals her goose is cooked. If Rachael wins Natls, Sasha comes second then Caroline will not get to Vancouver. Have I missed something? Seriously, I have watched skating for a long time and strong showing at Natls is the way you make the team.
How about this scenario, Caroline wins GP title. At Natls Mirai wins, Sasha is second and Rachel is third. How does GP champ get to Vancouver under that scenario. It has never happened that way and wont this year either. I would bet my house that skaters who place 1 and 2 at Natl will be the team. Possible outside chance that Sasha could come in 3 and be named to team. But not Caroline or the other young ones.
That is why all the crying about Johnny last year was nuts. His strong showing early in the GP did nothing for him when it came to making Natl. team.
If I am wrong I hope someone will explain it to me. I never knew GP carrried more than a slight (10-15 %) weight on deciding Natl team. It used to carry nothing which is the way it should be due to the GP draw being such a crap shoot. Talk about a ridiculous barometer for picking an Olympic team!

wishmaker

Rinkside
Now I know why this sport is called Figure Skating---------FIGURE IT OUT SKATING. It's gonna be a longgggggggg time until the GP, so there will be a lot of Brain Twisting, figure it out skating forums...

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I dont know where all this emphasis on GP is coming from? Is it from newer skating fans? If Caroline is GP champion and skates poorly at nationals her goose is cooked. If Rachael wins Natls, Sasha comes second then Caroline will not get to Vancouver. Have I missed something? Seriously, I have watched skating for a long time and strong showing at Natls is the way you make the team.

Last year, the USFSA put out a bulletin that Nationals will not be the only deciding factor in choosing the Olympic team. Four international competitions will also be considered. One of them is the Grand Prix Final. :biggrin:

My feelings about Rules are that a committee can eek out those portions that fit their crime, and avoid those that negate what they want. And they will still be on the legal side. They can also make up new ones on the spot to satisfy their decisions. Am I not a cynic?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
My feelings about Rules are that a committee can eek out those portions that fit their crime, and avoid those that negate what they want. And they will still be on the legal side. They can also make up new ones on the spot to satisfy their decisions. Am I not a cynic?

Actually, Joesitz, I was wondering. If the USFSA decides they want particular skaters on the Olympic team, could they jury rig National results to fit their decision? If a skater really tears up the Grand Prix, a 92 degree underrotation at Nationals could really look like 88 degrees. Was that a wrong edge? No, it looked OK to me.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Actually, Joesitz, I was wondering. If the USFSA decides they want particular skaters on the Olympic team, could they jury rig National results to fit their decision? If a skater really tears up the Grand Prix, a 92 degree underrotation at Nationals could really look like 88 degrees. Was that a wrong edge? No, it looked OK to me.

Of course they can. It would be incredibly easy for them to do exactly what you said. Nationals last year was a great example.

decker

On the Ice
Don't older skaters like Sasha and Johnny deserve another shot - if they can earn it on the ice?.

Pardon? Johnny Weir isn't coming off a 3.5 year retirement from competition. Without rehashing the whole "should he have gone to Korea" argument, Johnny Weir has competed and placed well the last 2 seasons up until Nationals 2009. He bombed in Cleveland. But he wasn't given GP assignments on a platter just by asking.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weir was a GPF medalist last season, was 8th on the ISU Ranking list and 9th on the Seasons Best list. That's how he earned his two GP slots for this coming season.

Between the fall of 2006 until now, Johnny competed in 6 GP events and earned 6 medals: 2 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze and made it to 2 GPFs. During the same time period, Sasha has skated in SOI and hasn't competed anywhere. So you can hardly compare Weir with Cohen. Sasha's been away for 3.5 years, while Johnny's been at most of the dances.

wishmaker

Rinkside
Weir was a GPF medalist last season, was 8th on the ISU Ranking list and 9th on the Seasons Best list. That's how he earned his two GP slots for this coming season.

Between the fall of 2006 until now, Johnny competed in 6 GP events and earned 6 medals: 2 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze and made it to 2 GPFs. During the same time period, Sasha has skated in SOI and hasn't competed anywhere. So you can hardly compare Weir with Cohen. Sasha's been away for 3.5 years, while Johnny's been at most of the dances.

Well said and I completely agree.

TripletA

Rinkside
I don't find it very fair that Sasha got two events myself but she didn't give them to herself. She knew by hinting she wanted two events she would get exactly that but like someone said, 18 spots overall means everyone will be getting some competition.