Canada/US Border - End of an Era... | Golden Skate

Canada/US Border - End of an Era...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Alaskans can't get into Canada without a Passport and haven't been able to for over a year... it's not like we didn't know this was coming, they kept pushing back the date is all. *shrugs*

Medusa

Record Breaker
What is the reasoning behind these newly implemented rules? One article mentioned it has something to do with homeland security. Are there Canadian terrorists?

On the other hand - in France you always have to carry your carte d'identité or the equivalent document of your home country, even if you only go to the supermarket for a few minutes. And nearly all the borders in the European Union are open these days, that means that most of the times there are no controls or any border patrol - but I think it's still required that you carry your official identification from your home country with you.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
What is the reasoning behind these newly implemented rules? One article mentioned it has something to do with homeland security. Are there Canadian terrorists?
No, but with the unprotected border, however since Canada doesn't have to be quite as vigilant about terrorism as America does, it may not be too difficult to get to Canada and then slip into US quietly. What's more, it's actually amazing to me that the illegal immigrants from Mexico don't go the Canadian route. Mexicans don't need a visas to get to Canada! From there, they could just quietly slip into the US without the dangers of the Southern routes. And it's not a money issue, either - they pay coyotes way more.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

On the other hand - in France you always have to carry your carte d'identité or the equivalent document of your home country, even if you only go to the supermarket for a few minutes. And nearly all the borders in the European Union are open these days, that means that most of the times there are no controls or any border patrol - but I think it's still required that you carry your official identification from your home country with you.

No, I could get quite controversial here and say that the US is becoming overly paranoid about terrorists since 911 happened. That is when they decided to put restrictions on the border.

We always regarded the Canada/US border as a friendly border and the longest common& undefended border in the world. That is what is lost.

I think the US would like its citizens to think that terrorists would come to invade the US via Canada. It's a bit of a brain washing from the Bush administration. Although in a recent trip to Canada both Bush and Clinton both claim they did not know about the new restrictions. Interesting!!!

Here is a bit of history on the Canada/Us border:

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Canada_–_United_States_border

heyang

Record Breaker
Actually, many illegal immigrants cross via the Canadian border.

When I worked for a NY branch of a London based company back in the early 90's, there was a London associate that they wanted to bring over to NYC for a project. However, due to visa issues (I think he had been over here recently and had not been 'back home' long enough to re-enter the US), they decided to try to send him to Canada and have him cross the border around Niagara Falls. Well, he did get stopped and turned away.

It is because the border is so open that it would not be difficult for someone to 'sneak' in via Canada. I'm also aware of other big corporations who have taken advantage of the open border to bring employees from China into the US.

As for the Mexican immigrants, I think that some may not think of Canada because of the lack of information. It's not just getting to Canada, they also have to figure out what to do when they get there. For many, they have people to go to in the Southern US.