Michelle: Will She Return? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle: Will She Return?

How would you feel if Michelle returned to US Nationals, showed off her edges and maturity and connection with her fans, had strong choreography, and showed she could still land some difficult triples . . . and finished, oh, say, sixth?

Would that be satisfying for fans?

I think it might be OK with the died-in-the-wool, long live the Kween, fans.

But it would not make her any new fans and the general reaction would be, that was then, this is now -- what's she doing still out here?!

Would that be satisfying for Michelle?

I cannot imagine that this would be an acceptable outcome for Michelle. I do not think she would put herself through all that, just in the hope that she might win sixth place in a skating competition.

I don't think I misunderstood. I'm saying Kwan had dreams and earned her time in the spotlight with all kinds of wins. The others have dreams but.... you want to reward them for the dreams.

Oh, sorry. I was the one that misunderstood.

This is what I think. I do not particularly admire adults who try to extend their adolescence by continuing to devote themselves to children's games after they are grown up.

Just look at the personal immaturity of professional football, baseball and basketeball players, for instance.

What I do admire Michelle Kwan for is going back to college and completing her degree, for serving in the U.S. State Department as goodwill ambassor, and for dreaming new dreams about a possible career in public service.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Please lets end the speculation....I just want everyone to know that that TBA spot at Skate America is for me!! I got my costume ready (size super large in the ugliest colors I could find!!!), my skates are sharp (do I even have skates???) and my coach is waiting (I am sure those instructional videos I watched will work).........I plan on winning............oh wait...I don't know how to skate!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is what I think. I do not particularly admire adults who try to extend their adolescence by continuing to devote themselves to children's games after they are grown up.

Just look at the personal immaturity of professional football, baseball and basketeball players, for instance.

What I do admire Michelle Kwan for is going back to college and completing her degree, for serving in the U.S. State Department as goodwill ambassor, and for dreaming new dreams about a possible career in public service.
Well, I can't disagree with this and I too can't really understand why she would come back since she seems to have made the transition.

Maybe our main difference is that I make more allowance for individual variations. People leave sports at different ages. Some people never leave the "childish" world of sports (although they take new roles). Some athletes are burning to test the limits of the body's potential.

Also I guess I take more of a romantic approach to talent. Great talents like Kwan's or Cohen's or Plushenko's or Shen/Zhao's come along very rarely. Far be it from me to tell them what to do and when. Sure, it's better for them and the world if sports geniuses can go on to become doctors and parents and good citizens, and I wish they would, but if not, I'm not going to judge them.

You have one-sided talents who are "immature" and undeveloped in other areas in every field, anyway - not just sports. We probably owe some of our greatest scientific discoveries and artistic masterpieces to them. So be it. IMO, the masterpieces, discoveries and great skating programs are worth the cost as long as no one's getting abused or murdered. (Always assuming those costs are freely undertaken and not forced.)

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I think it might be OK with the died-in-the-wool, long live the Kween, fans. But it would not make her any new fans and the general reaction would be, that was then, this is now -- what's she doing still out here?!

Sure, and then it would be on Michelle's shoulders to prove what she WAS still doing out there. :laugh: If she succeeded, a lot of people would have egg on their face. If she failed, she could end up embarrassing herself. It's just that given the stratospheric standard she set for herself, the latter is far more likely.

I cannot imagine that this would be an acceptable outcome for Michelle. I do not think she would put herself through all that, just in the hope that she might win sixth place in a skating competition.

Which competition though? I wouldn't place her as low as you say, if it were Nationals. But I will say that she shined in an era long gone, and it would be better for her overall record of accomplishments to just hang it up. It's pretty obvious she couldn't achieve Olympic gold now without an outright miracle, and that's the one thing she was missing. Then again, given today's Asian competition it's also obvious that Sasha won't achieve Olympic gold without a miracle, and she IS back. However, Sasha is 4 years younger and still has more to prove. After earning a caseload of gold medals, Michelle has nothing left to prove.

...Maybe our main difference is that I make more allowance for individual variations. People leave sports at different ages. Some people never leave the "childish" world of sports (although they take new roles). Some athletes are burning to test the limits of the body's potential.

Also I guess I take more of a romantic approach to talent. Great talents like Kwan's or Cohen's or Plushenko's or Shen/Zhao's come along very rarely. Far be it from me to tell them what to do and when. Sure, it's better for them and the world if sports geniuses can go on to become doctors and parents and good citizens, and I wish they would, but if not, I'm not going to judge them...

:clap: :clap: :clap: Great post.

feraina

Record Breaker
I have no problem with Michelle competing at SA and/or National's, or trying for an Olympic title. As some already said, we should send our _best_ to the Olympics and World's, and if she's still the best after all this time, then she deserves to go. I would love to see Michelle skate again, in competitions or not. She has such a great gift in skating, I hope she will not hang up her skates for the rest of her life!

There are just two things I don't feel too good about. One is that I'm not certain that judging will be fair, especially at National's, when it comes to deciding the Olympic team. What if Michelle gets gifted relative to the other skaters, as Alissa was last year. I have little doubt that Michelle can skate at last as well as Alissa if she puts in serious training from now on, and does it mean that she should be gifted an Olympic birth with three triples and sky-high PCS, when the younger girls are skating their hearts out with 7 triples? I sure hope not! It just wouldn't be fair (as it was unfair last year. I just can't get over how Caroline was robbed of better placement at National's last year, and therefore a chance to skate at World's and be a seeded skater herself this year (and thus land much easier GP assignments), plus the competitive momentum going into this season as the top US lady.). This is not an issue with Michelle herself, but rather my lack of confidence of US judges with competent, fair judging.

The other issue is that Michelle's delaying her decision has now significantly affected the GP assignments, by making the third SA spot TBA. I said from the beginning that this potential TBA due to Michelle would be likely to affect someone's GP assignment, not so much a girl who might have gotten to skate in a second GP (or a first GP like Maxwell or Musademba or Diggs), but rather someone who could've had a home GP instead of a tough GP elsewhere. Caroline turned out to be the unlucky girl here. Rachael and Caroline were the obvious two top ones coming into this season. I think the chances are high that Caroline would've gotten that spot and avoided the disastrous TEB lineup, had USFSA not reserved the TBA for Michelle. Now even if Michelle decided not to compete, Caroline is still stuck with her lot. I think it's really uncool that Michelle is delaying her decision so much that it's affecting other people's Olympic season. And you know what, probably in the end Michelle won't come back anyway.

I don't buy the idea that US Nats judges will shoo Michele or Sasha into the Olympics at the expense of Caroline et al.

There's no reason for them to think Olympic judges would share the same bias and favor the old-time US skaters over the current leaders. Therefore, to shoo in the old-timers because of bias would backfire. Sasha and Michelle would make fools of themselves and the US judges would be buried in ignominy. The US judges have to send the best skaters. Let's hope those are the ones who skate best at Nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For reasons that only Sasha knows, Sasha needs to go to the 2010 Olympics. Maybe the driving goal is the OGM or at least a second Olympic medal and (maybe) a second US Championship. Maybe she feels a second Olympic run is needed to keep hopes for an acting career alive. For Sasha, her world revolves about skating and/or acting.

Michelle doesn't need to go to the 2010 Olympics, but she might want to, if only to complete her career on her terms. She has a college degree and extensive experience as a roving diplomat, and there are many career opportunities open to her.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
We don't know if the TBD is for Michelle. I also don't think it is fair to accuse Michelle of using delaying tactics and how it has affected other skaters assignments. It is all speculation and supposition at this point.

I expect Michelle will enter Grad School in Sept. If she does not then I will
consider that she might attempt a comeback. As far as Michelle joining SOI to tour don't hold your breath, she has gone that route for years with COI. We know that Michelle is training but we don't know what for. She just might want to see what her body can do and has no plans to compete at all.

Of course if she comes back I will be cheering very loudly for her, Sasha, S/Z and Plushenko.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The chances of her winning olympic gold are very small. She was never sucessful enough under CoP to make her case. I think if she was really serious about coming back she would have said something more defininte by now. She would have to be training with a coach and if she has any intent on doing the GP, (which is pretty much a must for some one with as little exposure as Michelle to the new system) she would have had to tell ISU by now.

I would love to see her return, but I don't see it happening.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I am saying, the younger skaters have dreams, too, and I hope Michelle steps aside and gives them their day in the spotlight.

I respectfully have to disagree Mathman... in competition no one should willingly or be forced to step aside for anyone, their peers or "the kiddies!" If you are eligible by the rules, then everyone should have a shot. I totally disagree with the philosophy that Michelle, or Pluschenko or Shen and Zhao are taking someone elses spot by returning to competition. Spots belong to no one. They must be earned thru competition.

Return Michelle, and leave the others panting in your wake!

feraina

Record Breaker
We don't know if the TBD is for Michelle. I also don't think it is fair to accuse Michelle of using delaying tactics and how it has affected other skaters assignments. It is all speculation and supposition at this point.

What we know for sure is that SA did invite Michelle, and she didn't rule it out (at least according to Phil Hersh in early May). Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine SA not inviting Caroline, the top US scorer last season (5th SB, and the season before too, 6th SB), AND not inviting Alissa, the reigning US champion, UNLESS it is Michelle that they're hoping to return and claim that TBD.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I'm not certain that judging will be fair, especially at National's, when it comes to deciding the Olympic team. What if Michelle gets gifted relative to the other skaters, as Alissa was last year.

I would submit that if indeed they intentionally "gifted" Alissa at last nationals, they may have learned their lesson... very painfully.

The other issue is that Michelle's delaying her decision has now significantly affected the GP assignments, by making the third SA spot TBA...Now even if Michelle decided not to compete, Caroline is still stuck with her lot. I think it's really uncool that Michelle is delaying her decision so much that it's affecting other people's Olympic season. And you know what, probably in the end Michelle won't come back anyway.

Very interesting point, IF the TBA is because of Michelle. I think that could be part of it, but not all of it. But regardless, I don't think they would have put Sasha, Rachael and Caroline all at Skate America. I mean, if they care about maximizing points for the GPF, then only Rachael OR Caroline would have been assigned SA after Sasha. So why was Rachael assigned there instead of Caroline? I don't know, but it's certainly not Michelle's fault. I really expected the assignment to be Sasha, Caroline and Alissa. Sasha because she's the biggest star we have, Caroline because she's one of our 2 top ladies other than Sasha and because she got 3 standing ovations at SA 2007, and Alissa because she is National champion (and likely wouldn't affect the other two ladies' points.) IMO, the TBA bumped Alissa from SA, not Caroline.

Anyway, I do agree that Caroline has been shafted repeatedly. However, I doubt her GP assignments will hurt her chances of going to the Olympics. Tougher competition gives her more of an opportunity to prove herself by beating them. If USFSA is stupid enough to base Olympic spots on GP medals regardless of the competition that was present, then they are hopeless anyway.

(humorous anecdote - as a little kid looking through the TV guide, I always wondered what kind of show "To Be Announced" was, and why it was on at such random times. :rofl: )

Last edited:
Michelle has never been open about her competitive plans or her hip problem. I believe the hip problem started just before Nagano and was kept painless with pain killers. She was able to do her complete triple programs but her 3x3 began to disappear as well as certain triples through the years. Her spins were never something to write home about, but her flow and poise over the ice was such that no other skater could compare. By Dortmund and Moscow, she was leaving out jumps which were not at all difficult 5 years earlier. The hip was at its worst. She did fine with her personal magic on the ice but then came the CoP and together with the bad hip, what was the point of Torino?

Would she want to prove something in Vancouver? I don't think so.
S&Z do want to prove something about gold.
Plush wants to show that he really is the best skater and make up for the lack luster of 2006
Sasha, I see as a famous wannabee, and acting is not easy.

Good luck to all the Returnees. :party2:

I really expected the assignment to be Sasha, Caroline and Alissa.

I think the only selection that was a foregone conclusion was Rachael. Skate America had to take a seeded skater from 4-6, so it was either Rachael (the natural choice) or Mao Asada (which would have killed any American girl's chances, Yuna Kim having also been selected) or Laura Lepisto.

I thought it would be Alissa, Rachael and Caroline, until Sasha and TBA jumped in.

Nadine

Record Breaker
My honest opinion ~ I never really thought she would return ~ but after reading a bunch of threads this past year, it changed my original gut instinct, and so I thought "maybe". I really don't think Michelle even knows.

That said, once she gets a modicum of her triples back consistently, I can see her being the new headliner of Stars On Ice, or else headlining her own show, which would befit her nicely. Scott Hamilton did it, so did Brian Boitano, as well as Katarina Witt, even earning an Emmy. :)

heyang

Record Breaker
I'd love to see a Michelle Kwan return in any capacity.

After all, if Katerina Witt, Elaine Zayak, Brian Boitano, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Mishktunv(sorry, butchered it)/Dmitriev, and Torvill/Dean all had relatively succesful returns to Nationals (although not all Olympic), then why shouldn't Michelle have a chance? It's totally up to her.

I will say that it certainly would help the sport in the US more than any other skater's return at this time. She's still likely the most recognized name in US figure skating at this time. I'm sure you could find people out there who still thinks that she skates.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
My honest opinion ~ I never really thought she would return ~ but after reading a bunch of threads this past year, it changed my original gut instinct, and so I thought "maybe". I really don't think Michelle even knows.

That said, once she gets a modicum of her triples back consistently, I can see her being the new headliner of Stars On Ice, or else headlining her own show, which would befit her nicely. Scott Hamilton did it, so did Brian Boitano, as well as Katarina Witt, even earning an Emmy. :)

I remember reading that Michelle really did not enjoy shows. She liked to compete .