Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

cornell08

Final Flight
I never said it was her fault-- if you reread my comments I merely say that she was unable to persuade them otherwise. Believe it or not, many coaches are able to dissuade students/parents from competing injured-- and I don't that that has nothing to do with their style of instruction or their resume.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You're right. And Charlene wasn't so discreet about it either.

I am not sure if I see any need for Charlene to be so discreet about it. She is entitled to protect her own reputation. If I had a kid skating I think I would trust Charlene to be their coach because what is more important than your kid's health? If Mirai and her parents were so determined to skate through the injury what options did Charlene really have? She could have walked away - in which case Mirai might have continued skating anyway. And wasn't there also ten other coaches involved with Mira ;)

Wrlmy

Medalist
I am not sure if I see any need for Charlene to be so discreet about it. She is entitled to protect her own reputation. If I had a kid skating I think I would trust Charlene to be their coach because what is more important than your kid's health? If Mirai and her parents were so determined to skate through the injury what options did Charlene really have? She could have walked away - in which case Mirai might have continued skating anyway. And wasn't there also ten other coaches involved with Mira ;)

She has every right to protect her reputation, but IMO any family situation/conflict should remain confidential. From Charlene's remarks I gathered Mr and Mrs Nagasu were encouraging Mirai to appear in number of shows despite the injury. What I gathered might have been entirely false, and in that case, completely unfair to them. At the end of the day, it's the coach's job to dissuade/pursuade his/her pupils to compete. If her best interests lied in protecting her reputation, she should have dropped Mirai instead of portraying negative image of Mirai and her parents.

L

LKR722

I can't wait to hear who her new coach is. I'm hoping it's Don Laws, but wish Caroline the best whoever it is. Hopefully we'll hear something today soon.:biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
She has every right to protect her reputation, but IMO any family situation/conflict should remain confidential. From Charlene's remarks I gathered Mr and Mrs Nagasu were encouraging Mirai to appear in number of shows despite the injury. What I gathered might have been entirely false, and in that case, completely unfair to them. At the end of the day, it's the coach's job to dissuade/pursuade his/her pupils to compete. If her best interests lied in protecting her reputation, she should have dropped Mirai instead of portraying negative image of Mirai and her parents.

Was it realistic that Mirai's injury could be kept confidential or that Charlene should be forced to lie about the situation. If the truth seems to cast a somewhat negative light on Mirai and her parents then that would be a problem of their own making. But I understand there are needs for confidentiality at times and honestly I don't know much about this except what I have read in an article or here at GS.
I think it is possible Charlene may have chosen to stay on with Mirai because she might care for her and thought she could help her from making the injury worse or career threatening (by favoring a leg it becomes easier to blow out a knee or injure a back, etc) . Then there are the remarks that Mirai was training with many other coaches - didn't Frank Carroll say "there will be no more coaching by committee with Mirai." My point being that whether or not Charlene walked away if is very doubtful that with all the other coaches around that Mirai would have stopped training.
Whatever - I mostly agree with you. Without knowing what really went on it is hard to place blame either on Charlene or the family.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I never said it was her fault-- if you reread my comments I merely say that she was unable to persuade them otherwise. Believe it or not, many coaches are able to dissuade students/parents from competing injured-- and I don't that that has nothing to do with their style of instruction or their resume.

I did read your post but it seemed to be suggesting that Wong was somehow unable to do her job properly by not persuading the Nagasu family to make Mirai tak etime off to allow her injury to heal. It is clear from the comments made to the media that Wong tried but the family did not agree, which is why i pointed out that once the coach has tried to pursuade the family of the best course of action there is nothing more they can do, it is up to the family to make teh final decision. In that regard i don't think Wong did anyhting wrong and tried her best.

Ant

feraina

Record Breaker
Hmm, the first thing I did waking up was to check all the usual places to see if Caroline has announced her new coach yet. The suspense, the suspense!

Isn't she going to Champs Camp today? And she'll be very busy there. Is there going to be an article on Icenetwork that's going to discuss her coaching change?

cornell08

Final Flight
omg she just changed her twitter-- "In Colorado Springs!"

lol is she trying to toy with us?! because its working

feraina

Record Breaker
Isn't Champs Camp in Colorado Springs?
Don't panick...

lol is she trying to toy with us?! because its working

Oh, she's definitely having fun toying with us. She told me first to think about out of state, then said she never said it's going to be someone out of state!

Last edited by a moderator:

cornell08

Final Flight
I think she is just excited to have finally gotten into Colorado Springs for Champs Camp :)

But it means she has had time to go on twitter, change her status...so coy! Haha of course its most likely because she has to clear stuff with Shep or USFSA if they are announcing it officially before she can tell everyone through facebook or twitter.

*in response to Evangeline's comment

Last edited by a moderator:

feraina

Record Breaker
But it means she has had time to go on twitter, change her status...so coy!

She updates twitter via her iPhone.

USFigureSkating has a twitter page, and has periodic updates about Champs Camp:
http://twitter.com/USFigureSkating

Really random stuff, apparently Caroline likes orange with pulp -- I do, too, is that unusual??

Icenetwork already has photos up about their first day. That was fast!

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Thank you for the clarification!

It's highly unlikely that Tom Z would take on Caroline, but based on the flurry of seemingly bizarre coaching changes this year, I wasn't ruling anything out....

feraina

Record Breaker
:laugh: I'm wasting way too much time combing the web for news. I should try to forget about it for the rest of the workday and try to do some real work instead!

feraina

Record Breaker
I just looked at the photos and has anyone ever realized how pretty Becky Bereswill is :love:

Yeah, she really matured a lot over the past year. She is a very elegant young lady. Madison Chock is also very stylish.

There are two sets of photos already, they're really fast!

Mirai & Caroline seem to be doing something by themselves and away from the others -- their photos are taken by a different photographer.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I just posted the links to the first 2 sets of Champs Camp photos in the CC thread in the Announcements forum: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=400350#post400350

ETA - I believe this info was first posted in the Club shows thread in the Announcements forum, but in case anyone in the Boston area is interested:

Caroline is being advertised as a guest star for 2 benefit shows at the Nashoba Valley Olympia rink in Boxborough, MA on June 26 at 5:30 pm & June 27 at 2 pm: http://www.skateforsherryshouse.com/

Last edited: