Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

AdamFan

Rinkside
The only program I like less was her Bolero. I think both programs could've been exceptional if Kwan kept in ALL of the original choreography that was intended. She kept putting moves in and taking things out. Everything all together would've made both so exotic and choreographically interesting. Kwan stopped training her choreography as much once she went to UCLA and didn't commit to each and every step as much, thus she simplified some of her choreography to 'get it' quicker.

Those jumps at the end of the program would've been cool. Kawahara's choreography was definitely a challenge for Kwan and some of the choreography didn't seem natural for her and didn't exactly flatter her. She isn't the most flexible skater and some of the moves appeared awkward. Had she not panicked, which I believe she was period since the Olympics were coming up and she was likely reliving traumatic events, it would've been cool to see her stick with the original costume and choreography for a while.

Her lack of speed due to not having a coach to push her that season wasn't doing her any favors.

For this, we should slap Danny Kwan for mind-effing her.

Food for thought: Don Laws would've been a kickass coach for Kwan in 2001-02 and he will be kickass for Zhang this season.

The only program I like less was her Bolero. I think both programs could've been exceptional if Kwan kept in ALL of the original choreography that was intended. She kept putting moves in and taking things out. Everything all together would've made both so exotic and choreographically interesting. Kwan stopped training her choreography as much once she went to UCLA and didn't commit to each and every step as much, thus she simplified some of her choreography to 'get it' quicker.

Those jumps at the end of the program would've been cool. Kawahara's choreography was definitely a challenge for Kwan and some of the choreography didn't seem natural for her and didn't exactly flatter her. She isn't the most flexible skater and some of the moves appeared awkward. Had she not panicked, which I believe she was period since the Olympics were coming up and she was likely reliving traumatic events, it would've been cool to see her stick with the original costume and choreography for a while.

Her lack of speed due to not having a coach to push her that season wasn't doing her any favors.

For this, we should slap Danny Kwan for mind-effing her.

Food for thought: Don Laws would've been a kickass coach for Kwan in 2001-02 and he will be kickass for Zhang this season.
Sheherazade is THE most perfect piece of music for skaters. The various rhythms, changes of tempo and changes of themes is hard to find in other pieces of music to satisfy the CoP or even the 6.0., and all of it is done with flow. Skaters are indebted to Rimsky-Korsakov(sp) for creating the bench mark musical piece for skaters. (While Carmen has rhythms and tempo changes, it does not flow from one piece to another).

Unfortunately, it was, imo, the beginning of the decline in Kwan's performances due to pain. But then she did a remarkable 2003 Worlds after Sher before falling back to the hip problems. I did think, however, that her SP Spartacus was on target for her unique style of figure skating.

What roll Danny played in this, we will never know.

For Caroline, it will be HOT and HUMID in Florida. One has to get used to it. Everyone lives in air conditioning all year. I hope that doesn't affect her.

L

LKR722

^^^
If that is true, I don't know if I'm crazy about the choice. We'll see though. I'm hoping for the best for Caroline.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Whoa. That's interesting...to say the least. This one I have to wait and see how it works out.

gocaroline

On the Ice
I believe Caroline will be directed now by Charlene Wong.

That's very interesting. Never thought about that. I wonder what Charlene can help with Caroline. I thought Mirai already got her skating skills and jumps by the time she went to Charlene. But maybe Charlene is good at the whole package thing? Whatever her decision is, I hope the best for Caroline.

AdamFan

Rinkside
I believe Caroline will be directed now by Charlene Wong.

I don't see Caroline jumping ship to get Mirai's sloppy seconds.

I believe Team Zhang is far too intelligent to get coaching from a Canadian ladies skater... it is not like they've ever won anything.

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm going to be skeptical until there is a reliable source pertaining to this news.

And erm...there is this girl named Joannie who has won more golds in the ISU meets as of late than any of our (American) girls...;)

I actually think that if it is true Charlene is her new coach this is still a big improvement. Charlene has guided Mirai through programs (esp the music choices) I've enjoyed more than Carolines AARP pieces (even though I'm a bigger Caro fan than Mirai). Even though Mirai has had an issue with underrotating, I think-- as evidenced by Mirai's higher marks for program components (7s to Caro's 6s)-- that there is much in terms of putting together a better package of a performance that Charlene Wong could bring to the table, despite her relatively low-profile resume.

Andalusia

Final Flight
I don't see Caroline jumping ship to get Mirai's sloppy seconds.

Lol, I admit to thinking that, too.

The rumour that Caroline may be making a move to Florida originated from the MKF via a reliable poster. I do wonder about the likelihood of a move, though. Based on the little that we know of Caroline, it's a bit hard to swallow that she would move so far away from her home base. She's still so young; she probably lives in a rather tight-knit circle; and the logistics of the move might prove problematic. Will her mother be the only one who accompanies her? How long will they have to be in Florida? And so on and so forth...

Furthermore, I don't know about Caroline and her family's financial condition, but maybe a truly top-level coach is not an affordable choice. I know Mirai's family isn't well-off, too, but I think she receives funding from Michael Weiss' foundation. I don't foresee Caroline going to a coach who doesn't click with her particular personality, and I also think it's interesting that all her coaches have been women.

Bottom line: I wouldn't be surprised if a move to Charlene Wong materializes.

tarotx

On the Ice
The poster at MKF said it was a rink rumor and not from a inside inside source but I think Wong is a wrong choice so I'm hoping the Florida info is correct.

feraina

Record Breaker
Hmm, I asked Caroline about the coaching change, and she was being coy. I said Charlene Wong made Mirai fast, and she agreed. Personally I think gaining speed should be Caroline's number 1 priority (as a point-getter). If Charlene can help her with that, then that would be good. Charlene was also pretty good about politiking and giving supportive interviews for Mirai. These are the good points, and the rest I was not impressed much with (program choices, a mature style of skating, under-rotation problems...).

However, Caroline and her sister are talking as if Caroline's going to move away, and that doesn't fit with going to Charlene. However, just with the crumbs of hints Caroline let spill, it sounds like she's trying to decide between an LA coach and an out-of-state coach, and the final choice might be between Charlene Wong and Don Laws.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
wow, well whatever choice she comes up with I wish Caroline the best of luck this season and cant wait to see her new programs this year.:yes:

It makes me anxious and excited all in the same breath that many of my favorite skaters(Mirai:love:, Caroline:love: & Sasha:love:) are changing coaches. If only Alissa:love: & Bebe:love: would do the same. Plus with rumours of Michelle:love: coming back I can hardly wait for the new season to begin!!:rock:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Hmm, I asked Caroline about the coaching change, and she was being coy. I said Charlene Wong made Mirai fast, and she agreed. Personally I think gaining speed should be Caroline's number 1 priority (as a point-getter). If Charlene can help her with that, then that would be good. Charlene was also pretty good about politiking and giving supportive interviews for Mirai. These are the good points, and the rest I was not impressed much with (program choices, a mature style of skating, under-rotation problems...).

However, Caroline and her sister are talking as if Caroline's going to move away, and that doesn't fit with going to Charlene. However, just with the crumbs of hints Caroline let spill, it sounds like she's trying to decide between an LA coach and an out-of-state coach, and the final choice might be between Charlene Wong and Don Laws.

Did Charlene really have much to do with Mirai being fast, though? I don't think Charlene was Mirai's original coach, and Mirai had a whole stable of people helping her when she was with Charlene; anyone of them might have had more to do with Mirai's actual skating than Charlene. I recall an interview with Charlene in which she said that her main job in regards to Mirai was to be an efficient organizer or something to that effect, kind of like what Brian does with Yu-Na. I just hope Caroline won't go to Charlene with any false notions. If Charlene is a well-versed technical coach (which is what Caroline desperately needs) and can help to improve Caroline's speed, all is fine and dandy. I must say that Mirai's technical issues don't support that assumption too well, though.

feraina, I think you should do some politiking and convince Caroline to be coached by the man who helped formulate the CoP. :biggrin: