Cup of China - Analysis | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cup of China - Analysis

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
True - but in 1992 Skating was big and the powers that be would like to get back to those days. And who won Worlds Ice Dance last year even though they were a mess?

I think it's quite a stretch to claim that a seemingly undeserving Russian victory is sign of post-Cold-War Soviet resurgence...

ae9177

On the Ice
Sure, but if he tries 2 quads and misses them PCS can't close the gap. Sadly when Evan falls on the quads they are almost always underrotated which reduces the value to almost nothing. I say Oda has the edge on this one because Evan is not his best during the GP and Frank hates traveling to China.

Thought both Evan and Frank hate traveling. :biggrin: Jet lag will be Evan's biggest challenge comparing to Oda, who doesn't need to travel long distance (if he stays in Japan after TEB). Just noticed that all of Frank's students will attend COC, Evan, Mirai, Carolina and Bebe. It'll be a very busy week for him! :bow:

ordinary person

On the Ice
I'd this say about the ladies (after watching the Golden West championships)

1.Joannie Rochette
2.Rachel Flatt
3.Carolina Kostner

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
Sure, but if he tries 2 quads and misses them PCS can't close the gap. Sadly when Evan falls on the quads they are almost always underrotated which reduces the value to almost nothing. I say Oda has the edge on this one because Evan is not his best during the GP and Frank hates traveling to China.

I don't think Evan expects or plans to be at his best during the GP but rather to use them to see where he is in his training and what needs improving as he works his way to the "bigger" competitions later in the season. That's even more true in this Olympic year and I think we'll see him very focused on what's coming and use the intervening competitions as learning tools and stepping stones.

Nor does he think placement but rather to do his best on any given day, realizing it's different every time and learing from each and every experience, good result or not.

He sure capitalized on what he learned last season by season's end and I firmly believe he will continue where he left off - moving forward and improving daily. It's not like he takes the summer off like school kids and has to backtrack to be even with where he left off. I think he's on track with his training - smart, patient and dedicated. He's very good at minding his own business and focusing on what HE needs to do, not what his competitors are doing. It's for certain they never count him out but I'm sure consider him to be a force to be reckoned with. He returns the favor by respecting them as well.

That said, I think he was well on his way toward correcting his technical difficulties last season and am sure we'll see fewer, if any, of the same problems this season. He's said among his goals are to skate faster and make each element stronger. I've already seen evidence of that from being at Skate for the Heart.

That's not to say others don't do much the same, but Evan seems to me to be more focused and in control of his head than many of the others in a very deep men's field - both nationally and internationally. It promises to be one of the most unpredictable season's in memory. Am relieved that it has finally started!

I believe Evan will be a force to be reckoned with in Beijing!! Oda will have had the advantage of one GP under his belt, but Evan has the advantage of longer to train so he should be more than 60% comfy with his programs to start with. That about evens it up imo.

Dyan

On the Ice
Dance - Not the most interesting field, IMO. B&A are the favorites, with K&N likely for silver. I think bronze will be a battle between F&S and C&Z.

Coming out of lurkdom...

I agree that the dance field here isn't the most interesting. My interest in this particular event will be to see what everyone's programs look like.

It's funny because IMO as F&S's overall skating skills have improved their popularity seems to have waned a tiny bit. IIRC after the SLC Olympics people seemed more excited about F&S. Of course that could be because of the choices Federica and Massimo made for their FD's. IMO F&S have really improved their speed, difficulty and control in the past two seasons although their FD's might be seen as more traditional or the usual type of dramatic/romantic style of icedancing rather than being more creative. I loved the "Moonlight Sonata" program and wish F&S hadn't messed up their OD or rather Massimo tripped and pulled Federica down with him. I would have liked to see where they would have ended up in L.A. had they skated clean.

I also liked the FD to "Papa Can You Hear Me." It was a very subtle but beautiful FD. F&S's Italian folk OD was also quite good and they did beat K&N in the FD then (though K&N had mistakes in their own FD performance).

That was a long winded way of saying that I think barring any serious errors, F&S shouldn't be counted out of a silver/bronze battle with K&N. Of course the scales might be tipped in favor of K&N winning the silver now that DomShabs are out. I like C&Z a lot but don't see them winning a medal unless F&S or K&N have a really bad time of it in Russia.

merrybari

Final Flight
Random question. When and where will they post the schedule? Plan to watch live on Icenetwork and need to know the times so I don't miss anything. Thanks!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Random question. When and where will they post the schedule? Plan to watch live on Icenetwork and need to know the times so I don't miss anything. Thanks!
I found this schedule, obviously in local time - I think it's 12 ours ahead of the US east coast. I assume what I found is accurate, but it may be best to wait for the official schedule on ISU.

newvie

Rinkside
men's competition looks more interesting than that of ladies at this event. (IMO)
I would be shocked if Joannie doesn't win.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
I would be shocked if Joannie doesn't win.

Me2!
Joannie's performance at Japan Open is outstanding that early in the season. Her S&D LP is my favourite of hers besides Firebird.

For the gentlemen, I think Oda has the edge with his secured landings on the jumps and the LP that suits him perfectly.

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm rooting for Mirai, CaroK, Shen/Zhao, and CHOCK/ZUERLEIN (so excited to see them in the senior grand prix!). Throw in Lysacek as well ;) -- I have alot of respect for the 'older' skaters who've stayed in shape/trained for so many years and keep competing!

:biggrin:

hongligl

Final Flight
I'm rooting for S/Z, Joannie, mirai and Ten! I predict Oda will win. Joannie should be shoe in to win here. I would like to see S/Z win here but it was reported that Xue had twisted her ankle several days ago, not sure if that would have any effect on them.

Can't wait! one more day to go:love::love::love:

npavel

On the Ice
I'm rooting for Carolina, may she finally coming back and enjoy her skate without feeling the pressure. I hope everyone can show up and enjoy, doing her best. All of them should stay on their feet and deliver. I love Joannie too, prefer the older skater to the younger