Keeping New Music Secret..??? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Keeping New Music Secret..???

seniorita

Record Breaker
isnt it some other positions also called ina bauer, or when we say ina bauer we mean only the layback one?

Shizuka's Ina Bauer is so astonishing that someone posted a video a while back where she was studied by a team of medical researchers to see how she can possibly do it.

They put little electrical thingies all over her and did a computer analyis. The conclusion was that she actually had some sort on anatomical anomaly in the vertabrae of her lower back.

Bottom line -- don't try this at home. :laugh:

isnt it some other positions also called ina bauer, or when we say ina bauer we mean only the layback one?

I think that's right. The "Ina Bauer" just refers to the positions of the blades and edges (inside Ina Bauer and outside Ina Bauer). But the layback is the classic upper body position, I beleive.

janetfan

Match Penalty
More detailed descriptions:

Ina Bauer examples with and without back arch
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_g_bauer.htm

Spread Eagle
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_g_spreadeagle.htm

If you're familiar with ballet terminology, the spread eagle is the legs in 2nd position, and the Ina Bauer in 4th position

Thanks, those were very good demo clips.
Earlier someone mentioned it would be nice to go from a jump back into a an Ina Bauer or spread eagle
Here is Peggy Flemming from '68 Natls going from a spread eagle into a 2A back into the spread eagle. That happens at 2:48 of the clip. But the whole program is worth watching if you haven't seen it before. Gentle, soft, beautiful skating. This program won Natls, OGM and WC back in "68.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPKgg8SGys

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Peggy used to do a spread eagle into a 2 A and right back to spread eagle.
Is a "spread eagle" what we ancient one's call an "Ina Bauer?" Or are they similar but done on different edges?
Peggy did this at 68 Natls , Olympics and Wolrds, all of which she won that year.

Ina Bauer - feet are not on the same plane and front knee is bent.

Nigel

On the Ice
I think it is part gamesmanship - a pysche job - trying to get any advantage possible over rivals. I can't think of any other worthwhile reason to keep music selections secret until the start of a new season.
Like nylynnr said, some of this stuff - coaching changes and music may be more important to many of the fans than it is to skaters. Somwhere in a rink Rachael may be skating right now and she is not aware that Caro K has just left her coach. She may not hear for a few days or even a week depending on her schedule, and how busy she is right now.

And why would Flatt be concerned with Caro K's move to a new coach? :scratch: Yes, they have both utilized Nichol for choreo, but Flatt lives in Colorado. Is Caro planning on moving to the US?

janetfan

Match Penalty
And why would Flatt be concerned with Caro K's move to a new coach? :scratch: Yes, they have both utilized Nichol for choreo, but Flatt lives in Colorado. Is Caro planning on moving to the US?

I simply used Rachael to reinforce what an earlier post had said. That fans may be more interested in new music or coaching changes than some of the skaters. And YES, if Caro went to Rachael's already busy coach it would be natural for Rachael to wonder about her situation.
I don't know where Caro will go after her choreo's are finished in Toronto. One rumor says Frank Carroll which would mean SoCal.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Shizuka's Ina Bauer is so astonishing that someone posted a video a while back where she was studied by a team of medical researchers to see how she can possibly do it.

They put little electrical thingies all over her and did a computer analyis. The conclusion was that she actually had some sort on anatomical anomaly in the vertabrae of her lower back.

Bottom line -- don't try this at home. :laugh:

Yes, I remember that videoclip! Maybe it's a Japanese thing, because Yukina Ota had a lovely layback-Ina Bauer as well.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I would guess by keeping the music a secret, the skater creates more anticipation among us fans! [B(]Also, you don't release the soundtrack before the movie is in the theater...)[/B]

I for one do not hope Yuna and Mao have chosen the same music

Well...... film score enthusiasts have found soundtracks weeks before the film's release, like the entire Dark Knight score. :laugh: