Skate Canada - Analysis | Golden Skate

Skate Canada - Analysis

The very last chance for the entries to make the Finals.

The Ladies

Joannie's victory in home country? She'll be facing Laura Lepisto who comes alive on occasion There will be Akiko Suzuki who also faced Joannie in CoC. (what have they learned?) Sarah Meier on her comeback from injury, and the Three American Graces that maybe should have been in SA: Czisny, Nagasu, Zhang. Worth viewing contest.

The Gentlemen

Patrick Chan looking very good here. The Tens are back, Jeremy and Denis from opposite sides of the globe. And the whole kit and kaboodle is a hot contest. in addition to Patrick, Kevin vdP who may have gotten some high points from Russia looking for the Finals. Preaubert and Contesti battling it out to show who will win at the later Euros. Daisuke already with a warm-up at NHK claiming his right to the Finals. Mr. Music, himself, Michal Brezina. Will he hold up in N.America? And the three American stallions: Abbott, Carriere and Mahbanoozadeh.

The Pairs

Dube and Davidson will not have it easy here. Savchenko/Szolkowy and MukhortovA/Trankov will battle it out for gold. Maybe Denney/Barrett can slip into a medal here? They are competitive. Who are Ozerova/Enbert? Yankowskas/Coughlin on the improvement trail, and welcome back Langlois/Hay.

The Ice Dance

Top favorites: Virture/Moir, Delobel/Schoenfelder, battling for gold. Medal contenders are Pechalat/Bourzat and Faiella/Scali. The Hubbells and Samuelson/Bates after TEB will need some high scoring here. Who are Bobrova/Soloviev?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ozerova/Enbert are the young Russian team who were sent to 2009 Worlds to replace Iliushechkina/Maisuradze. Unfortunately, O/E had a disastrous SP and didn't make the cut for the FS.

Bobrova/Soloviev were the 2007 World Junior Champions, and had a strong showing in the 2007-2008 GP, placing 5th and 4th in their two events, and were 13th at 2008 Worlds. But in the 2008-2009 GP, they were 6th and 4th in their events, while the 2008 JW medalists Gorshkova/Butikov were 4th and 5th. G/B finished ahead of B/S at both Russian Nationals and the Winter Universiade.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
OK, I'm sold. What channel do I turn to?

Anyway, Daisuke holds the record for a man's score in ISU competition, but we don't know how he will fare after nearly a year off. Jeremy holds the American record, but he's not consistent. I think Patrick will be on top here.

As for the ladies, it looks like Joannie and Caroline in the top 2 slots, in either order. The European ladies are not doing well right now. Probably Alissa or Mirai in the 3rd spot.

jennylovskt

Medalist
It's going to be Patrick Chan's gold to lose no matter if he has a quad or not.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
As for the ladies, it looks like Joannie and Caroline in the top 2 slots, in either order. The European ladies are not doing well right now. Probably Alissa or Mirai in the 3rd spot.

Based on last season, Lepisto is my pick for bronze. Alissa is sooo inconsistent and Laura beat her at Worlds. She doesn't have the big jumps, but her 3T+3T can be a big weapon particularly in the SP (especially considering how often Alissa and Mirai have issues with edge calls and downgrades) and her spins and basics are first rate. She's got musicality, speed and flow, which the judges (and fans!) love. She started landing the lutz toward the end of last seaosn, so hopefully she will keep that up.

I would love for Mirai to make the podium, but it remains to be seen how much she's improved under Frank Carroll.

Akiko Suzuki isn't to be underestimated - she beat Lepisto, Nakano, Nagasu and Wagner at NHK and Alissa at 4CC. Her SB from last season (167.64) is higher than both Czisny's (159.81) and Nagasu's (142.90).

dannyascii

On the Ice
Sorry, this is kind of off topic, but does anyone know if single event tickets are available yet? I still can only find all-event packages.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Thank you for moving this thread to the Skate Canada folder......

Last edited:

kalle

On the Ice
Great line up for the ladies :love:
I am already looking forward to see Nagasu again. I hope she has been working very hard on her jump issues since COC, she seems to be a fighter though :agree:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Based what has happened so far, it looks like Alissa and Caroline will be in a death struggle for a spot in the Final. Both Ashley and Alena have a silver and a bronze. A 4th place and a gold earns the same points, but places higher by the tie breaking rules.

Brezina will podium again and hopefully it brings him to Tokyo.

If Rachael did not get silver in SA, Czisny, Nagasu and Zhang have a slim chance for the Final if one of them places Silver. I am expecting Joannie to rise to the occasion.