New coach for Kostner? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

New coach for Kostner?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can't recall Jamie Sale's problems with the double axel. But given that they didn't skate together for very long i'm not sure that she would be much a of example. The other thing is that to truly show that someone has learnt to master their nerves i would expect a number of examples of them skating without those nerves so a one off great performance wouldn't really fit the bill for me.

Ant

it was a big deal on the boards at the time... one of those "will she ever get it back" they had that horrible skate in Nice, France and she said she couldn't get rid of the mental block whenever it came to the jump. She just felt like she let everyone down (and at the time David was none too supportive it seemed).

She went to a sports psychologist and it didn't seem to really get it back. But it showed up at the olys, and she's done it in shows since... so it must be back lol

poor example, but still... with the olympics being for most the competition where the pressure is greatest... *shrugS*

antmanb

Record Breaker
She is not a flutzer!!!. European Ladies, if they happen to flutz it is because it was genuinely accidental. Many american lady skaters, imo, who flutz constantly have never executed a proper lutz in their career, and believing there was an attempt, is a mockery of the jump.

Blah blah blah, and the european ladies (though notably not Kostner) who do true lutzes have a tendancy to lip, but you're only bothered about the precious lutz being on the wrong edge and not the flip aren't you?

Ant

shine

Record Breaker
Although I definitely don't dispute that it's very important to have the correct take-off edge on every jump, yet if I had to choose, I generally would have a tiiiny bit more "respect" for skaters who lip that those who flutz. Just because taking off from an outside edge is harder than the inside. :) And IMO that's why in the past lipping was overlooked more than flutzing.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Although I definitely don't dispute that it's very important to have the correct take-off edge on every jump, yet if I had to choose, I generally would have a tiiiny bit more "respect" for skaters who lip that those who flutz. Just because taking off from an outside edge is harder than the inside. :) And IMO that's why in the past lipping was overlooked more than flutzing.

I think that's a misnomer - obviously some skaters find the outside edge easier than the inside edge otherwise they wouldn't "lip".

The error is exactly the same on both jumps - the skater changes the edge on take off to make it easier for them to land the jump/complete the rotations. You can't penalize one without penalizing the other, so the "crime" IMO is the same.

Judging the skaters who flutz more harshly than those that lip makes no sense to me.

Even worse if your solution to the problem is to simply call the jump from the edge that the skater was on at the split second they jumped. Should a skater who can't execute a flip properly really get higher marks for their now-called Lutz than they would have gotten for a flawed flip? What do you do witha jump that take off from a flat?

Ant

janetfan

Match Penalty
She is not a flutzer!!!. European Ladies, if they happen to flutz it is because it was genuinely accidental. .

You are right. In fact Carolina should be given credit for her performance at '09 Worlds.
She invented a whole new style of jumping which is now known as the "triple klutz." ;) ;) ;)

Sorry, too much coffee and Yuna today. Apologies to Caro, Yuna and even seniorita - who I will most likely make fun of next :laugh:
Unless she gets me first :cool:

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh please feel free , I dont mind any teasing, basically because i neither flutz nor klutz!Not even lutz!:laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
This is not plushenko's thread, I m trying to be serious here. Behave yourself.:laugh:

Can i say carolina's dresses were the best around in 2009, unfortunately the programs didnt pay them justice. But i ve seen her live and she is spectacular when not anxious.

janetfan

Match Penalty
This is not plushenko's thread, I m trying to be serious here. Behave yourself.:laugh:

Can i say carolina's dresses were the best around in 2009, unfortunately the programs didnt pay them justice. But i ve seen her live and she is spectacular when not anxious.

I have never seen her Live - but I can see how she could be better in person. I did see a Gala from Caro that i really liked. It was so different from her competitive skates - softer, more expressive - it was really lovely seeing that side of Carolina.

antmanb

Record Breaker

Does Roberto Cavalli do all of her dresses? I remember there being some discussion about her dresses a few seasons ago and he seemed to have done all of her dresses for that season and I wondered if he always does.

Ant

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Does Roberto Cavalli do all of her dresses? I remember there being some discussion about her dresses a few seasons ago and he seemed to have done all of her dresses for that season and I wondered if he always does.

Ant

Yes, he did all of her skating dresses from the 2005/2006 season on and I really think he will do the ones for the olympic season too.

soogar

Record Breaker
I hate the dresses Roberto Cavalli does for Carolina. They are so matronly and have skirts that are too short and set too high on her waistline. Maybe she is short waisted but could he design something that is more flattering?

Also his designs for her are strange. His clothing line is very sexy yet the stuff he does for Carolina looks as if it belongs on a 6 year old.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I hate the dresses Roberto Cavalli does for Carolina. They are so matronly and have skirts that are too short and set too high on her waistline. Maybe she is short waisted but could he design something that is more flattering?

Also his designs for her are strange. His clothing line is very sexy yet the stuff he does for Carolina looks as if it belongs on a 6 year old.

Oooh! I totally agree with this sentiment. Her costumes leave a LOT to be desired on her. The full "petticoat" style skirts that are too short. Bleh! My coach makes better costumes and charges a lot less than Cavalli! :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Gazzetta dello sport (italian sports newspaper) confirmed today the rumor that Carroll is training Carolina for a couple of weeks. No final decision has yet been taken, but according to Carroll, he would be honoured to have her in his team.

http://filoecontrofilo.blogspot.com/2009/06/la-kostner-in-prova-con-frank-carrol.html

Thanks for the update elenora. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
A more consistent Caro could change the whole complexion for next season.
Goodluck Carolina.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Carroll sounds like an excellent choice. Carolina never had one coach only for herself, so she probably won't have a problem with Carroll dividing his time between her, Mirai, Evan and other skaters. She also speaks good English, so that's not going to be a big adjustment.

I would be looking forward to a Carroll-trained Carolina.

evangeline

Record Breaker

Cavalli is known for a sort of trashy-chic (of course, the chic part is optional) style, so I'm not too terribly surprised.

Personally, I think a more subtle and cerebral designer like Miuccia Prada would be much more suited for Carolina--her costumes only need to accentuate what she already has :)

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Kostner officially announced to the first national news channel (RAI1) that she is going to train in L.a., California,USA (with Carrol I assume, as he confirmed she was training with him for some days to try his teaching). I'll post some articles tomorrow.