Michelle graduates June 6, has been accepted into graduate school | Golden Skate

Michelle graduates June 6, has been accepted into graduate school

Michelle formally graduates tomorrow, has been accepted into graduate school

This news story from the University of Denver newspaper was posted today on the MK Forum.

http://www.du.edu/today/stories/2009/06/2009-06-04kwan.html

Link to forum thread: http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22410

“It was a turning point in my life when I came to DU,” says Kwan....

Shortly after coming to DU Kwan was asked to participate in what she describes as the ultimate internship for an international studies student. Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (BA ’74, PhD ’81) appointed Kwan the first American Public Diplomacy Envoy to help promote an understanding of America by sharing her story in a cross-cultural dialogue with international youth....

There are no plans for Kwan to stop traveling on behalf of the U.S. Recently, she met with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to discuss continuing her role with the State Department. However, Kwan will still have tests waiting for her when she returns from each trip. She has been accepted to the graduate international affairs program at Tufts University’s Fletcher School.

Hmm. Michelle forgot to mention training for that TBA spot at Skate America. :think:

efreedman

On the Ice
Tufts

Gearing myself up for potential Michelle sightings!! ;) This section of the country would really be different for her!

Well, congrats to her! She'll make a great diplomat and/or politician. Looks like a stellar second career lies ahead of her.

Will the real TBA please stand up already? :p

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
What a great accomplishment! She looks stunning in that picture BTW. Maybe she was waiting for her acceptance letter to grad school before making any comeback decisions. If she was rejected, maybe she thought she would give skating a try. I cannot see her saying no whatever university accepted her to try a comeback. She seems very dedicated to her career now.

Kathy

On the Ice
It's easy to delay acceptance to a graduate school once you've been accepted. People do it all the time. She could easily delay enterance for a year it she want to give skating one more year.

berrycute

On the Ice
It's easy to delay acceptance to a graduate school once you've been accepted. People do it all the time. She could easily delay enterance for a year it she want to give skating one more year.

Yes but it seems to me she's serious about a career in international relations. I strongly suspect she will look to working for the State Department, UN or another NGO after she finishes grad-school. We could see her as Ambassador Kwan, and maybe pretty soon!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Michelle, well done girl. Wow she has been accepted by Tufts that is wonderful news. If she does decide to attend Tufts I just want to be the first to welcome her to our great state of Massachusetts, I am sure our local rag will be reporting "Michelle sightings". Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes but it seems to me she's serious about a career in international relations. I strongly suspect she will look to working for the State Department, UN or another NGO after she finishes grad-school. We could see her as Ambassador Kwan, and maybe pretty soon!

She can be very serious about a diplomatic career and easily delay entrance to Tufts for a year to compete. NO ONE knows what she is thinking, speculation is the order of the day...

I speculate, no... calculate that Michelle does want to end her competitive skating career in a more satisfying manner than what she experienced in Torino! I expect to see her return to try and get U.S. Ladies Title number Ten!

berrycute

On the Ice
She can be very serious about a diplomatic career and easily delay entrance to Tufts for a year to compete. NO ONE knows what she is thinking, speculation is the order of the day...
!

Geez, ok, I shall not deny the possibility she will return to the ice. Happy? Good.

I expect to see her return to try and get U.S. Ladies Title number Ten!

I don't know why, but for some reason the prospect of Michelle at U.S. Nationals totally rocks my socks. I don't really care so much about the Olympics.

I checked out the schedule. If Michelle enters the Fletcher School in the spring semester, going for the Masters in International Law and Dipolomacy cirriculum, classes start on January 21 (a Thursday).

This is the same day as the ladies short program in Spokane. The ladies long is on Saturday, January 23. Michelle could skip the Gala and be at Tufts bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Monday, January 25.

That way she can grab her tenth U.S. championship and only miss one day of classes. They don't do anything on the first day anyway except hand ou t the syllabus. Which, that's available on line anyway. :) :) :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't know why, but for some reason the prospect of Michelle at U.S. Nationals totally rocks my socks. I don't really care so much about the Olympics.
QUOTE]

I like that idea - a comeback but just as far as Natls - and not to Vancouver.
But you know the old "win - win" situation?
I don't see this falling into that category. It feels more a like a "win - lose big time" situation to me.
If Michelle skates at Natls, and doesn't do well she might feel bad. I am sure many of her fans would definitely feel bad.
I miss her but want to see her succeed at her future endeavors (Ambassador Kwan :agree:).
I think the time has come for our group of "little ones" to shine.

Kathy

On the Ice
QUOTE]

I like that idea - a comeback but just as far as Natls - and not to Vancouver.
But you know the old "win - win" situation?
I don't see this falling into that category. It feels more a like a "win - lose big time" situation to me.
If Michelle skates at Natls, and doesn't do well she might feel bad. I am sure many of her fans would definitely feel bad.
I miss her but want to see her succeed at her future endeavors (Ambassador Kwan :agree:).
I think the time has come for our group of "little ones" to shine.

This girl doesn't "lose" if her dreams aren't realized she picks herself up and decides her next path. Just think about it: what she's done in the last few years. First she trains like all get out despit a serious injury to go to the 2006 Olympics in the attempt to get that longed for Oly Gold she barely missed twice, gets there and then has to suffer the huge disappointment that her injury is too severe for her to compete. She comes back to the US and for the next 6-7 months tours with COI dispite the fact she cannot jump and is in constant pain -she shows up time after time, turning out wonderful performances. COI ends and she picks herself up, and gets major hip surgery. All the time she applys for and gets accepted at DU, and begins classes there while on crutches recovering from surgery. She tackles college and formal school for the first time since 7th grade minus a few classes at UCLA. She gets appointed The first US Sports Diplomacy Envoy and travels all over the world representing our country. She manages to graduate in three years, and then gets accepted to one of the most prestigous graduate schools in the country. And, she is still skating, training, getting her triples back, in killer physical shape and considering a comeback. She is amazing, and what tenacity. I am in awe. If she skates again competitvely again and "loses" she will use the energry to accomplish something else yet again. There's no loss in that.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This girl doesn't "lose" if her dreams aren't realized she picks herself up and decides her next path. Just think about it: what she's done in the last few years. First she trains like all get out despit a serious injury to go to the 2006 Olympics in the attempt to get that longed for Oly Gold she barely missed twice, gets there and then has to suffer the huge disappointment that her injury is too severe for her to compete. She comes back to the US and for the next 6-7 months tours with COI dispite the fact she cannot jump and is in constant pain -she shows up time after time, turning out wonderful performances. COI ends and she picks herself up, and gets major hip surgery. All the time she applys for and gets accepted at DU, and begins classes there while on crutches recovering from surgery. She tackles college and formal school for the first time since 7th grade minus a few classes at UCLA. She gets appointed The first US Sports Diplomacy Envoy and travels all over the world representing our country. She manages to graduate in three years, and then gets accepted to one of the most prestigous graduate schools in the country. And, she is still skating, training, getting her triples back, in killer physical shape and considering a comeback. She is amazing, and what tenacity. I am in awe. If she skates again competitvely again and "loses" she will use the energry to accomplish something else yet again. There's no loss in that.

Brilliantly stated! Michelle Kwan is a fighter... never gives up, never accepts defeat... or looks upon anything in life as a loss! Those who doubt she would do well if she returns to competition, just don't know WTH they are spouting off about. They continually underestimate this glorious woman!

chloe

Rinkside
From all the comeback people this is the one I want to see 100%, she is so missed, a whole Olympik Circle without her.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I checked out the schedule. If Michelle enters the Fletcher School in the spring semester, going for the Masters in International Law and Dipolomacy cirriculum, classes start on January 21 (a Thursday).

This is the same day as the ladies short program in Spokane. The ladies long is on Saturday, January 23. Michelle could skip the Gala and be at Tufts bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Monday, January 25.

That way she can grab her tenth U.S. championship and only miss one day of classes. They don't do anything on the first day anyway except hand ou t the syllabus. Which, that's available on line anyway. :) :) :)

Food for thought. No matter what she decides to do in skating, I'm so proud of her for all of her accomplishments, on and off the ice! :bow: :love: :biggrin:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I've noticed a few mistakes with the quotation feature. When you quote, the text you are quoting begins with (square bracket)QUOTE=Name;number(square bracket), and it must end with (square bracket)/QUOTE(square bracket). If you erase too much, it won't show up as a quote.

You can even leave out the semicolon and post number. You just won't get a link to the post you are quoting.

It's fairly simple really.

Mathman said:
The derivative of cos( x ) equals -sin( x ).

Sorry about that. :biggrin:

I've noticed a few mistakes with the quotation feature. When you quote, the text you are quoting begins with (square bracket)QUOTE=Name;number(square bracket), and it must end with (square bracket)/QUOTE(square bracket). If you erase too much, it won't show up as a quote.

You can even leave out the semicolon and post number. You just won't get a link to the post you are quoting.

It's fairly simple really.

Mathman said:
The derivative of cos( x ) equals -sin( x ).

Sorry about that. :biggrin:

Logic test: In post number 16 above, why doesn't it come out looking like this:

[QUOTE
And, she is still skating, training, getting her triples back, in killer physical shape and considering a comeback. She is amazing, and what tenacity. I am in awe. If she skates again competitvely again and "loses" she will use the energry to accomplish something else yet again. There's no loss in that.

Abswer: Because of that equal sign after the second "QUOTE" in the original. The software thinks that Janetfan is quoting Cathy, who in turn is quoting a person whose username is "And, she is still skating,...no loss in that."

This last-named poster, howerev, does not say anything. So if you close it up by putting another [/quote] at the very end, the whole thing comes out like this:

:laygh:

Oops, I mean :laugh:

Edited to add: A brilliant recent university graduate and soon to be graduate student in international law and diplomacy explained this to me.

(Just in case anyone thought this post was off topic. :) )

Last edited: