Dr. Zhivago- breakout music? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dr. Zhivago- breakout music?

janetfan

Match Penalty
WOW, That Pairs could be highly competitive today, and I believe the music was composed with Pairs in mind. Cheers for Rodriguez and also for Arbitol and Bernadis. It does get the viewer away from the 'same old tunes'.

How might a composer go about writing music specifically for Pairs skaters?
Would it really be significantly different than what might be written for a singles skater? Do Pairs teams use music that is that much different than single skaters? I never really thought about this before.........

What devices could a composer use when accepting a commission to write something for a Pairs team. Would canonic style be useful? (Frere Jacques :))
Possibly fugue form would work. But Pairs also need to skate the best unison possible at times and a typical mirroring effect from a Pairs team might not be effective done to a canon or fugue. In fact it could cause real problems.
Since some are against the whole concept of "background" music - whether it be from film or opera - I have included this link to show what can happen when skating to music - composed for skating - is utilized.
Watch this clip at your own risk!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFPUXkZr50w

Composing music for Pairs would be the same as composing music for a Pas de Deux, and composing music for Singles would be the same as composing music for Solos Just ask Tschaikowsky, the poor guy had to compose just the way the choreographer wanted it.

I'm not certain how movie background music is composed. Probably, after the edited filming has been completed and the composer follows the characters in the story. Silence, too, is important.

for Figure Skating, it seems to me to be quite a chore, and maybe that is why there is a dearth of music composed specifically for skating.

The music is typically written before the shooting of the film has been completed.
It is the job of the music editor to add it to the film. The director of the film may take an active role in this but only to make sure he likes what he is seeing and hearing.
This is such an over simplification, and your reply seems like that old common sense again. Of course there are committee meetings among the various aspects of making a motion picture, and the music composer for the film plays an active role as does the film editor, the Director, the scenic designer, the make-up artist, etc.

After the shower scene was filmed in Psycho, Hitchcock search for the original scary music to accompany the stabbings. The music wasn't playing when he was filming the scene. The composer could not have gotten the inspiration before seeing the scene in the Rushes.

There are much too many TAKES by the Director, and editing by the Film Editor for the composer to know how he will develop the music for the scenes. With so much going on, he will score the film when it is finished. - common sense. No?

wishmaker

Rinkside
Okay guys, this is what I know about composing music to films. Mainly, the film owner gets interested in a certain composer then sends his film so that the composer would watch the film.. While the composer watches the film, the settings/plans for the composition (instruments and techinicalities of musical scores) is all programmed or set.

As they say, the music is made to fit the action in the film which is very detailed and time consuming wherein the composer has to repeatedly watch the film that needs the music. then the mapping out process of where and for how long the film needs music comes in. Composing music for film is a process of sharing and rewarding meeting of minds between the composer and movie director. Then if the composer and the music director has made it together, then sometimes for the future, the composer is again requested to compose the other future films.

I used to know a composer and I do hope I have contributed some ideas about film's music composers.

Last edited: