Disney-Pixar's Up | Golden Skate

Disney-Pixar's Up

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Fantastic movie. Pixar is the saving grace for Disney's Animation studios, that's for sure. Wall-e was an emotional film, and I admit I cried towards the end... but I was crying throughout Up. Fantastic ride of emotions. The attention to detail rivals (if not bests) Walt Disney's top 9 animators...

if there was a flaw there were too many dumb dog jokes, but that's forgivable. You needed the levity in between the darker and more emotional storylines.

Was it farfetched in some ways, yes, but that made it even more fantastic.

Great 90 mins or so... totally worth seeing.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Toni. We'll definitely have to see this one. I understand it's a 3D movie as well. Just curious - is it only being show in 3D, or do theaters have options to show it in 2D?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's offered in 2D as well. I refuse to get into the 'retro 3D craze' (I went into the bellbottom pants kicking and screaming lol) I don't like 3D movies. They're fun for amusement parks as part of an attraction, but not so much for a two hour movie, IMHO.

heyang

Record Breaker
I took my niece and nephew to see it in 3D and it really wasn't neccessary to pay the extra $ for the 3D showings. There was 3d throughout, but it didn't add anything special to the movie.

I enjoyed the movie a great deal - I did miss a critical part because the kids had to go to the bathroom. Sigh - it always seems to happen during an important part.

I actually got a bit teary during the beginning when they were recapping his life.

The kids didn't get the message of the movie, but my nephew enjoyed the dogs and the cub scout.

My niece is really bad at paying attention during movies and she was the same during this one. Once they were up in the air, she was 'done'. The only movies she likes are musicals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The last three Pixar films have definitely been geared towards a more mature storyline and audience, but enough to keep the kids entertained. But I think that's how the first few Disney Classics are like as well... Snow White had some good parts for kids, but it's dark and mature... as is Pinnochio, Sleeping Beauty is pretty light but still has some dark undertones (and you gotta love that it was adapted from the ballet... even the music!)

but that's just me :biggrin:

sunrock

Rinkside
There is only one Pixar film I did not love and that's Cars. That movie moved too slowly for me and didn't have enough laughs.
Other than Cars though, I have loved every single Pixar film including the latest, UP.

Did you know, Pixar is coming out with Toy Story 3 next summer? I adored Toy Story 1 and 2 so I can't wait for the third installment.
However, Cars 2 is also coming the year after. Why would they want to make a sequel to Cars? Why not Incredibles 2 or Monsters Inc. 2 or Finding Nemo 2?

heyang

Record Breaker
Did you know, Pixar is coming out with Toy Story 3 next summer? I adored Toy Story 1 and 2 so I can't wait for the third installment.
However, Cars 2 is also coming the year after. Why would they want to make a sequel to Cars? Why not Incredibles 2 or Monsters Inc. 2 or Finding Nemo 2?

I read about Toy Story 3 a few months back. I'm hoping that my now 2 yr old niece will be mature enough to sit through it . She's more like her big brother who can sit in front of the TV for a long time. The Toy Story movies are probably my favorite Pixar movies.

I didn't get into Cars very much either - haven't been able to watch the whole thing. However, the franchise is a HUGE money maker. This is the one 'boy' franchise that has had longevity with regards to related toys, etc. The 'girls' have the multiple Disney princesses.

Incredibles and Monsters Inc did well at the box office, but I dont' think the toys or the characters caught on with the the kids.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I absolutely LOVE Cars... the one I like least is Bugs Life - but none of Pixar's films have flopped at the box office. which is incredible in today's market.

Toy Story 3 is the reason Pixar signed back on with Disney. Basically Disney held it hostage and was going to make it into a crappy typical Disney sequel... (as well as the other Disney-Pixar films) and Lassetter and Brad Bird just couldn't do that to the films... so they made some demands and stayed with the Mouse. As long as Pixar is in control I have every faith that it will be good (though the voice of Slinky Dog passed on a few years ago, so I doubt we'll see that character :( )

With Paul Newman's passing Cars 2 is up in the air for now. They're not sure how they're going to handle a main character not being in the sequel. Doc is definitely a favorite...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
My dad had tears when he told me about this movie. It sounds wonderful!

Toy Story 3 is the reason Pixar signed back on with Disney. Basically Disney held it hostage and was going to make it into a crappy typical Disney sequel... (as well as the other Disney-Pixar films)

Either you know something or you sound like you do. But sorry to say it generally sounds VERY bias when you comment about such matters. Maybe I need to follow the rule of "put J.M.O after everyones post. I guess we all do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it was well documented, both in the news and in several pixar biographies. It wasn't an opinion. Disney owns all of the Pixar films. If Lassetter and Bird ever leave Disney the Disney-Pixar films stay. That's a no brainer. Disney pushed for a Toy Story trilogy, not Pixar (this was announced after Pixar's contract was up years ago and Pixar was on the fence about renewing).

Lassetter is now in charge of the Parks and animation studios... Disney gave up a LOT to keep Pixar on... and Disney's benefitted from it. Eisner is out, Lassetter is in, and this Disney fan couldn't be happier.

Disney's (and by DISNEY I don't mean their partner studios - like Pixar and Bruckheimer) sequels are shot out with very little $$ or quality put in. We see this a lot with the princess series of films. Storylines don't jive, voice are off, and animation is quickly put together. This is not just my opinion, this was Lassetter's fear, which he expressed in "The Pixar Story" which was featured on AMC not too long ago (and plays regularly on Starz and other movie channels).

Considering Eisner's other practices in the 90s, it's not surprising Pixar was between a rock and a hard place.

another great thing about the Pixar Story was the fact that Pixar originally started out as a branch of LUCASFILM (ie Star Wars!) but George didn't see the benefit of putting his money into computer animation, and went more into the computer graphics/special effects (which I do have a strong opinion about. the man is obsessed with it now, and it ruined the Star Wars prequils. Where was the story???? somewhere mixed deep down and hidden in the CGI!)... and he let the Pixar crew go. Then Disney picked it up. GREAT choice on Disney Co. part... their movies had been struggling. So so animation (relying too much on computer, and not quality of story), so so storyline... disappointing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar#cite_note

I can be a fan of Disney and still not like everything they've ever done. I love the classics (and by that I don't mean the feature length films that come out every year, or just about every year, I mean the ones that Walt himself had a hand in), and I love the history behind the company... don't like Eisner lol he was all about the $$ and could care less about the quality. Something Walt prided in his company. It was always about the story.

Last edited:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
She died 7 hours after seeing the movie. That's interesting, and shows how the mind can have power over the body.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I saw that story earler today... very sad, yet uplifting...

saw UP! a second time... took the parentals and the sib to see it... mom flipped out on several scenes (the more action packed ones)

dad says it's so weird to see a Disney film actually look at death and pain that way (and downright scary)

can't wait to see the Princess and the Frog this Christmas (random, but it needed mentioning) hopefully it isn't disappointing (so many DISNEY films show off all the best moments in the trailor anymore :no: )

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
meant "modern" Disney... the very first "Classic" Disney film had a lot of dark themes... it wasn't until my generation that we started to see the more lighthearted, sheltering type disney films that are all fluff and no film! (actually more towards my preteen/teen years... Lion King and Hunchback of Notre Dame had some intense scenes)