Two new articles on Kwan possible comeback | Golden Skate

Two new articles on Kwan possible comeback

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Tammi

On the Ice
The first article mentions things said on Twitter, but has it been confirmed as the real Michelle Kwan? I've always thought it was just a fan, especially since there's a link directly to the MK fan forum. That just seemed odd to me.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sounds like speculation to me. No one really knows what she is doing, and it will likely stay that way until an announcement from her camp is made.

Last edited:

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
The first article mentions things said on Twitter, but has it been confirmed as the real Michelle Kwan? I've always thought it was just a fan, especially since there's a link directly to the MK fan forum. That just seemed odd to me.

AFAIK, it is not real Kwan.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
the skating world will go on with or without her.

The skating world would go on with or without any individual. But why do you feel it necessary to make such a statement directed at Michelle? I think the answer to that is apparent.

A couple of readers alerted the columnist about the fake Kwan twitter. The article has been rewritten to delete that material.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks for posting.

nothing new in these articles...only a watered down version of what we have been saying on this forum.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
That's the point. ;)

Except it ignores the huge amount Michelle has done for the sport. Figure skating would still exist without Michelle, but if Michelle had never existed, ladies figure skating would look VASTLY different than it does now. Countless young ladies were inspired by her and skate today because of that. I see no point to the comment - it's neither objective nor fair, it is "technically true" yet ends up implying the opposite of the truth.

Anyway, there's lots of dedicated Michelle fans that can take it from here. They'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it. I'm pretty tired of being the lone voice of reason. :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Except it ignores the huge amount Michelle has done for the sport. Figure skating would still exist without Michelle, but if Michelle had never existed, ladies figure skating would look VASTLY different than it does now. Countless young ladies were inspired by her and skate today because of that. I see no point to the comment - it's neither objective nor fair, it is "technically true" yet ends up implying the opposite of the truth.

Anyway, there's lots of dedicated Michelle fans that can take it from here. They'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it. I'm pretty tired of being the lone voice of reason. :laugh:

Point well taken. I don't wish to start a debate here. And if you noticed, I rephrased the post in question. Apologies to all for the sidetrack. Speculate away.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
nothing new in these articles...
This part from the Baltimore Sun blog seems to be new info:
Although she [Kwan] has until midnight, Sept., 1, to tell U.S Figure Skating officials if she's in comeback mode, they have asked her to tell them before the end of July, so that they can prepare for the expected tidal wave of fan and media interest.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Except it ignores the huge amount Michelle has done for the sport.

For a decade Michelle was the face of US figure skating. She represented the sport and her country with dignity and class.
Hemingway used to write about "grace under pressure" and Michelle personifies that for me like no other skater. She has left pieces of her body and soul in skating arenas all over the world. If she wants to return to competitive skating and I had any say in the matter I would vote to let her come straight to Nationals without any qualifiers. I know there are rules and they are necessary to help govern the sport. But there is only one Michelle - and we may not see the likes of her again. The rules are for the others. Michelle has earned a special place in US and World figure skating history. What is wrong with showing appreciation and honoring one who has given so much to her sport and provided us with memories that will last a lifetime.

Last edited:
For a decade Michelle was the face of US figure skating. She represented the sport and her country with dignity and class.
Hemingway used to write about "grace under pressure" and Michelle personifies that for me like no other skater. She has left pieces of her body and soul in skating arenas all over the world. If she wants to return to competitive skating and I had any say in the matter I would vote to let her come straight to Nationals without any qualifiers. I know there are rules and they are necessary to help govern the sport. But there is only one Michelle - and we may not see the likes of her again. The rules are for the others. Michelle has earned a special place in US and World figure skating history. What is wrong with showing appreciation and honoring one who has given so much to her sport and provided us with memories that will last a lifetime.
Yikes. Her injuries were worse than I realized. :eek:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yikes. Her injuries were worse than I realized. :eek:

Poetic license: The liberty taken by a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.

In this case the "desired effect" was not humor - but glad to brighten your day.

Last edited:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Poetic license: The liberty taken by a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.

In this case the "desired effect" was not humor - but glad to brighten your day.

Believe me the intent of their laughter was not humorous nor out of respect for the writer or of Kwan.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Believe me the intent of their laughter was not humorous nor out of respect for the writer or of Kwan.

I think Kwan's the bee's knees; I just thought Spun Silver's remark was terribly funny.

But it's wonderful to know you're telepathic.

janetfan

Match Penalty

Thanks - but that's OK. I think it was funny too looking at what I wrote from a very literal sense. On the other hand - Michelle, like other skaters went out many nights and skated with injuries or got an injury during a skate. So while I was trying to say something a little differently, I know they are aware of this and most likely they knew what I meant. Hey, after exchanging posts with fans of another skater the last two days these folks are nice and fun. We can't get so touchy that we lose the abilty to laugh at ourselves.

Last edited: