Why is flexibility so appreciated? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Why is flexibility so appreciated?

Medusa

Record Breaker
i think flexibility is something you earn in young age, the youngest the better, and you conserve a percentage of it as years go by, as long as you exercise it once a while. I dont know if you can manage to increase your range of motion and bring your foot to your ear, no matter how you practice, once being an adult.
Flexibility is also in your genes - my dad for example, really really old these days - can still do loads of stuff most people my age can't do. When I was doing gymnastics as a teen, everything that had to do with flexibility came so easy to me, I never had to work on flexibility much.

Well, yes...but I can bend my knees. My elbows, too. I do not consider myself to have extraordinary flexibility on that account.

I cannot raise my leg over my head, with or without hand assist. I just tried it. I can only get about a forty-five degree split. Not flexible enough.

1. Why did you use the modifier extraordinary and what did it mean?

2. Well, you can if you take Acrobatic classes. :p

Oh, I forgot:

Baseball Players need to stretch those bodies to catch line drives.

I can't believe that fans think only of I Spins and acrobatics as flexibility. They should visit a Rehab Center. Those patients are hoping they get the flexibility back to move all those broken parts.

1. Why did you use the modifier extraordinary and what did it mean?

By exraordinary I meant, moreso than most people. I can bend my knee, but not any more than other people can.

Sasha Cohen has extraordinary flexibility because she can twist and bend in ways that most people cannot.

I think what we are talking about on this thread is whether or not exhibitions of extraordinary flexibility, as we see in skaters liike Sasha, adds anything of value to a skating program.

(Then there is truly feaky flexibility, like contortionists who can lock their legs behind their heads and walk around on their hands :eek:. But that sort of thing does not apply to figure skating.)

2. Well, you can if you take Acrobatic classes. :p

I fear it is too late. ;)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think maybe we have in mind flexibility as the ability of further things than those an everyday person can do when healthy :).

ok mm said it with better words :p

Last edited:
By exraordinary I meant, moreso than most people. I can bend my knee, but not any more than other people can.

Sasha Cohen has extraordinary flexibility because she can twist and bend in ways that most people cannot.

I think what we are talking about on this thread is whether or not exhibitions of extraordinary flexibility, as we see in skaters liike Sasha, adds anything of value to a skating program.

(Then there is truly feaky flexibility, like contortionists who can lock their legs behind their heads. But that sort of thing does not apply to figure skating.)
I noticed you didn't explain acrobatics as in Cirque du Soleil.
I just think flexibility is the wrong word. I would think supple would be a better word which descibes many skaters, especially Michelle Kwan. For Sasha's ability to perform acrobatic skating as one would perform acrobatic gymnastics which she studied is an innovative addition to her programs, but there have always been skaters who did acrobatics on ice, and so many more since the scoring gets higher points. Denise should be praised with this. But is it figure skating? That's THE question.

I fear it is too late. ;)
Nah. It is a lot of work though and even fromer acrobats after retiring do not wish to make a comeback. If you don't use it, you lose it.

However, those "too much" pictures are stretching exercises that allow her to do the "beautiful skating" moves.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I see a sit spin as something anyone with average flexibility that is mostly healthy can accomplish with the right muscle strength and some work. I see a full split spiral as something that requires extraordinary flexibility beyond what an average healthy person can expect to achieve even with some work.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I have to say that I am one of the people who have always been drawn to flexibility. I dont know why but Ive always found it thrilling/beautiful/exciting/entertaining. I love to see it in skating, dance & gymnastics. However it needs to be done with beautiful line. Just yanking your leg up in a position and not doing it with grace does nothing for me.

I grew up taking dance(Ballet, Lyrical Jazz & Contemporary) & skating and did cheerleading & gymnastics. So maybe Im just predisposed to find that aesthetically pleasing. My mom was a dancer growing up as well so maybe its in the genes. I guess I have been lucky and am hyper flexible. Ive always been able to drop into a split. I could do it now(even before finishing my coffee this morning).

My friends always find it entertaining to watch tv with me because Im always pulling my leg next to my ear when Im laying on the floor or on the couch. LOL But to be honest I pull myself into those positions because if I dont my joints get achy and it only feels better when I get into those positions. I also find the positions very relaxing, you should see me in bed, I practically need a pillow for my foot thats up next to my head. :laugh:

As I type this Im trying to figure out why Im drawn to flexibility the way I am, but its always the case for me. Most of my favorite dancers are ballet, lyrical or Contemporary dancers, my favorite gymnasts are usually rythmic gymnasts and the skaters I usually enjoy are more flexible. For example you take Shawn Johnson & Nastia Liukin(both amazing gymnasts) my preference falls toward Nastia. I prefer the line, extension & positions better. Same goes with skating.

I generally prefer Michelle, Sasha, Caroline, Mirai, Yukina Ota, Alissa, Mao, Naomi Nari Nam, Shawn Sawyer, & Rohene. They all combine flexibility with grace and style. I love seeing their spins and spirals. They are highlights for me. Then again I loved doing spins & spirals on the ice. Probably because they came easiest to me. All the same when these skaters would perform those moves it almost makes me forget any other mistake they may have made.

HOWEVER I am not a person who appreciates anyone doing a move just because you can get "close" to doing it. Beillmann positions, donut spins, i-spins, y-spins, charlottes etc, should be dinged in marks if they are executed poorly or distracting to the program. There have been many a spiral that was barely above the waist and on a shaky edge that should get negative GOE to me. :p Same for poorly executed spins.

I do find that flexibility enhances the whole skating experience and makes it more beautiful/entertaining. But with artistry every person has their own barometer of what they find beautiful or just over the top. I'll watch flexibility anyday but there are moves in Cirque that I have no interest in seeing on the ice. But thats just me:agree:

Having said that I do enjoy many other skaters for many other reasons. Thats what is so great about skating you have sooo much variety in skating types.

Sorry to ramble on this morning...

moojja

Rinkside
I see a sit spin as something anyone with average flexibility that is mostly healthy can accomplish with the right muscle strength and some work. I see a full split spiral as something that requires extraordinary flexibility beyond what an average healthy person can expect to achieve even with some work.

To get down to a low sit spin, and then get up again without assistance needs more than "mostly healthy" body. Just try sitting down on a chair, with one foot up, it's a lot hard than it looks. And a sit spin is a lot more difficult than that.

To get down to a low sit spin, and then get up again without assistance needs more than "mostly healthy" body. Just try sitting down on a chair, with one foot up, it's a lot hard than it looks. And a sit spin is a lot more difficult than that.
Well, she said "with the right muscle strength." What else has she overlooked?

BTW, I just tried the chair thing. (Good grief!) I can do it, but hopefully no one will ever see me. Let's just say it's not like Sasha!

MKFSfan

Medalist
However, those "too much" pictures are stretching exercises that allow her to do the "beautiful skating" moves.

Oh, I am sure they do! I just meant if Sasha included those particular "too much" positions into her program somehow, I wouldn't find it particular appealing, which is why, I, personally, wasn't crazy about her non-ice skating performance last season w/SOI, forget what it was called, and why I wasn't so amused with the whole "Secret Talents of the Ice" thing. Yet, I could watch her Angel transition piece this season over and over.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker

BTW, I just tried the chair thing. (Good grief!) I can do it, but hopefully no one will ever see me. Let's just say it's not like Sasha!

Thank you, Spun Silver, since we got into semantics over bent knee being "flexibility" earlier

moojja

Rinkside
Thank you, Spun Silver, since we got into semantics over bent knee being "flexibility" earlier

Sorry, just the way you worded it, makes it sound like anyone can do a sit spin. Especially the section you put in bold.
It still takes a lot of practice to get a good sit spin.

Flexibility, like muscle strength, can be built. There are yoga practitioners who started as adults, and can now hit the most amazing positions.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I ve kept most of flexibility I earned from gymnastics, and i dont know where it helps in this chair thing with one leg , this does not need flexibility, needs a tow truck, once you re down, there is no way up:unsure:

She's looking at fact. One needs good balance and what you call flexibility.

You could end this semantics if you go to a Rehab Center and hear them talking about flexing your muscles. You will begin to consider the skater as having such wonderful 'contortunism' or at least such 'acrobatic' abilities. No?

It just ain't ballet and that is difficult for some fans to swallow.