Why is flexibility so appreciated? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Why is flexibility so appreciated?

MKFSfan

Medalist

antmanb

Record Breaker
No one yet has done a Charlotte Spin.

Not solo, but I think that a lot of the female pairs have done a charlotte spin with the male partner straddling them a la Dmitriev/Mishkutenok. I don't have access to youtube at work so can't get the links. He also did them with Kazakova. I think Pang & Tong and the young Chinese team did versions of the spin at worlds last year too.

Ant

passion

On the Ice
A good line is very important in figure skating IMO and flexibility, in general leads to a good line. However, there are skaters with good lines and weaker flexibility, like Lepisto and Phaneuf as have been mentioned and skater with good flexibility and weak lines, Mira Leung comes to mind. She has excellent flexibility, but she doesn't hit many nice positions.

Exactly! I'm not a fan of contortionism. I'm a fan of good line, and flexibility helps to have good line but so does extension (eg. pulling up the knee, pointing the toes, the energy is extended).

Exactly! I'm not a fan of contortionism. I'm a fan of good line, and flexibility helps to have good line but so does extension (eg. pulling up the knee, pointing the toes, the energy is extended).
:clap: Finally a poster who is not awed by spirals and dragging legs up so the feet get to overhead. (However, it looks good in Tumbling and Gymnastics.)

Good line is of the essence for a dancer on or off skates

btw, has anyone thought of the flexibility one needs to do a proper sitsspin?

MKFSfan

Medalist
What's so shocking about that is I never really liked Sasha's or Caroline's sit spins, yet I think Michelle has the nicest back position in her sit. Goes to show it's not really ALL about the most contortionist flexible in every position, but how the actual position is stretched and detailed. So, yes, Joe, I agree with what you and Passion have said:

:clap: Finally a poster who is not awed by spirals and dragging legs up so the feet get to overhead. (However, it looks good in Tumbling and Gymnastics.)

Good line is of the essence for a dancer on or off skates

seniorita

Record Breaker
wow i would never thought flexibility is needed there, i could imagine quadriceps and biceps strength..of course i dont skate so just what it looked like from outside.
So where do u need to be flexible for sitspin?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Sit spins require quad and hamstring strength, but no real flexibility.
Interesting... During Worlds we had a discussion why so many men have decent sitspins - and so many ladies haven't. The muscle strength needed for it explains that pretty well.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Not solo, but I think that a lot of the female pairs have done a charlotte spin with the male partner straddling them a la Dmitriev/Mishkutenok. I don't have access to youtube at work so can't get the links. He also did them with Kazakova. I think Pang & Tong and the young Chinese team did versions of the spin at worlds last year too.
Ant

Here is a link to Dmitriev/Mishkutenok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fx4Cv4aVE

I used to love how expressive and innovative this team was.

(where are you Ant? :))

mskater93

Record Breaker
Interesting... During Worlds we had a discussion why so many men have decent sitspins - and so many ladies haven't. The muscle strength needed for it explains that pretty well.

Just speaking from personal experience. It's as if the muscles contract than flex on a sit spin

Sit spins require quad and hamstring strength, but no real flexibility.
Try doing a sitsspin without bending your knees. The definition of flexibility is being able to bend. When someone is in Rehab, they work on flexibility on any injured part.

I think what some fans are talking about is what they perceive as being ballet. Ballerinas, as you know, raise their legs in arabasques (spirals) at any height and they do it without the assistance of an arm or hand. It's pure muscle. Contortunists must use the assistance of hand/arm to get into unnatural positions.

When the hand/arm is used in I spins, it is no longer ballet-like. But it can be and it is a big trick in acrobatic dancing and figure skating. Awesome? That's up to the viewer.

Try doing a sitsspin without bending your knees. The definition of flexibility is being able to bend.

Well, yes...but I can bend my knees. My elbows, too. I do not consider myself to have extraordinary flexibility on that account.

I cannot raise my leg over my head, with or without hand assist. I just tried it. I can only get about a forty-five degree split. Not flexible enough.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, yes...but I can bend my knees. My elbows, too. I do not consider myself to have extraordinary flexibility on that account.

I cannot raise my leg over my head, with or without hand assist. I just tried it. I can only get about a forty-five degree split. Not flexible enough.

Flexibilty was never my strong point either but it can improve if you work at it. Some people are definitely born with more but activities like Dance and Yoga can help. In my case it was 3 years of BJJ training that added greatly to my flexibilty. But I could have studied Yoga or anything else for years and never would have approached Sasha's flexibilty.
But like you, I can bend my knees. :) I can also touch my toes although it is easier after a few beers. ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
i think flexibility is something you earn in young age, the youngest the better, and you conserve a percentage of it as years go by, as long as you exercise it once a while. I dont know if you can manage to increase your range of motion and bring your foot to your ear, no matter how you practice, once being an adult.

I can also touch my toes although it is easier after a few beers.

try few more beers and you might end up like this:laugh:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Sasha_Cohen_charlotte_spiral.jpg

janetfan

Match Penalty
i think flexibility is something you earn in young age, the youngest the better, and you conserve a percentage of it as years go by, as long as you exercise it once a while. I dont know if you can manage to increase your range of motion and bring your foot to your ear, no matter how you practice, once being an adult.

try few more beers and you might end up like this:laugh:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Sasha_Cohen_charlotte_spiral.jpg

I would need vodka to even think about such a position :biggrin:
Sasha :love: