Victim of Random Act | Golden Skate

Victim of Random Act

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
You are not going to believe this! Tonight, I was sitting quitely in my apt. when I heard a loud explosion. I looked out the window to see that someone had smashed into my parked car - in my spot and sent it flying into the spot across from me - luckily for me the guy across from me was out. Needless to say, my brake light and left tail light are smashed completly. My car is driveable, but has to be repaired. I have to go to work tomorrow. It was a guy a driving a stolen car - he smashed into 2 or 3 cars here where I live.

I feel sick.

registered

On the Ice
Sorry, Ladskater. Make a Police report, and all. There's a good part, of course, you we're not in the car, and didn't get hurt.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Could someone pelase move this to Le Cafe? I was in shock when I wrote it and clicked on the wrong area.

My apologies.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad, hang in there. These things are disruptive and aggravating, but don't let it eat at you. Luckily, you weren't in the car and it's driveable. I drove a car with a smashed rear end for weeks until we could get it repaired.....it happens.........42

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lad, so sorry about that. Will your insurance cover the repair?

windspirit

On the Ice
I'm sorry to hear that, Lad. But the good thing is that no one was hurt. As for your car, I'm beginning to think that things have their karma, too...

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Ladskater,

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Believe it or not, my parked car (different cars, different occasions) was hit and I did not find out about it until later.

In 1995 when I was living in Southern California (Long Beach) I came home on a Saturday afternoon from my part time job. I found a parking spot right in front of my building. I went out with some friends that night, was home and in bed by 1 AM. The next morning I went out and found my parked car had been sideswiped!! Three other cars were also hit. My car was not drivable as the front left wheel was all out of whack and off the axis. My neighbors told me they were chasing an out of control driver - and I lived in a residential neighborhood!! The car was a total loss and who knows what the driver was one.

Three years ago I came home from work on a Friday and parked my car up the hill from my building. Living in San Francisco, I don't use my car on the weekends unless absolutely necessary. I was coming home from Golden Gate Park on Sunday afternoon when I was approaching my car and it looked like there was a big dent in the driver's side door!!! As I got closer I also saw that the side mirror was on the street in pieces!! A neighbor had left a note on my windshield saying to call him because he saw what happened. What happened was a big pick-up truck lost control going up my street and grazed 2 or 3 parked cars!!! This time my car was still drivable. What was even worse was that the person driving the truck was not the owner but a 'friend' who had borrowed the truck - and apparently he was trying to get away from the scene. Again, this was in a residential part of town.

Sorry this is so long, but I know that everything will work out even though it's an annoying inconvenience right now. I'm just glad that you weren't hurt.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Lad I'm sorry to hear about your car. Thank god you weren't in it. Hang in there and I hope you have car insurance.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Thanks folks; I felt like I was in a movie. I have heard of these things happing to people's cars, but never dreamed it would happen to me! Yes, I have insurance and everything is reported to the proper channels. I have to drive it around for another week before I can take it to ICBC for a damage assessment. There are that many claims going through daily!!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
hrmsk8ngnutt:

Wow! What an ordeal you went through! Thanks for sharing your experience.

It's terrible a person can't even park their car without risking an accident!!!!

Same thing happened to me about 20 years ago in Salt Lake City, Lad and Herm. A cop tried to stop a guy in a Jeep for running a stop sign. Guy in what turned out to be a stolen Jeep took off and result was a high speed chase through a residential neighborhood. Jeep guy turned going wrong way on my one way street. I was reading in my apartment and heard what sounded like a loud car door slam. I looked out the window just in time to see the cop drive by. Since the guy hit my car on the opposite side from me, I didn't check. A few minutes later my neighbors come by and tell me I'd better look at my car. The whole driver's side door was bashed in. The Jeep guy hit three other cars, finally couldn't drive it, and was caught running up the steps of the governor's mansion (no kidding, lol). Insurance covered it but I had to pay the $100 deductible. Just happy nobody was hurt or killed.

Then when I had my very first new car and was parked on the other corner, somebody bashed the fender in the middle of a snowy slippery night. Now THAT ticked me off!

Worst almost random: My boyfriend left late one night. Two days later, he nad I were walking down the street and my next door neighbors were sitting on the porch. We said "Hi" and they said, "Hey, there was a guy trying to get into your apartment the other night." It was the night my boyfriend had gone home and I was alone. Some guy had gone across the street; gotten a ladder; put it up to my back window, which was open (it was summer); and started climbing up, all while my neighbors were sitting on their porch watching. When he got about halfway up, one of them said, "Hey, what are you doing?" The guy scrambled down and took the ladder back across the street. We asked if they had called the police and my neighbors said no, the guy hadn't done anything wrong. Oy! No, not this time! We did call the police, but it was too late to search the area or check the ladder for fingerprints. I was thankful to my neighbors for being out there and yelling at the guy, but miffed at them for not calling the police.

We usually don't know what might have been or how close we've come.

If you're still having trouble sleeping Lad, try taking a Benadryl tab. The antihistimine is a good sleep aid. Many hospitals use it.
Rgirl

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Watch out for that Benedril. I have been taking Tylenol PM for years and didn't know it was addictive. My Dr. just made me quit taking it and my Soma every night. What a nightmare. Now I know how easy it is to get addicted. Lots of sleepless nights lately. Hope it doesn't take long. Just don't know how I'm going to sleep when it hurts too much.
Anyway, it is ok to take it for a while, just not long enough to get addicted.