Figure skater posters - where can you get them? | Golden Skate

Figure skater posters - where can you get them?

jjane45

On the Ice
Figure skater posters / autographs

Hi All
What are some good sources to buy posters of your favorite skaters?
It seems like even Michelle Kwan does not have many decent posters out there, not to mention the up and comers. (I am specifically looking for Evan Lysacek and Caroline Zhang...)
On the other hand, printing a poster is not difficult at all provided there is a professional quality, high resolution image with appropriate license like personal decor use. Anyone here had experience buying professional figure skater photo? I could only think of Gettyimages at this point, they have a pretty complex selling system, and quite pricey, too!
IMO TeamUSA.org should really set up a poster shop to generate more revenues or attract more donations. After all, don't they already have those charming athlete portraits of the front-runners? :D
Your comments and advices are greatly appreciated!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
AFAIK, Evan and Caroline don't have posters... skating isn't co$t effective to produce mass quantities. Though you might check the USFSA's online store, maybe they have something?

Medusa

Record Breaker
Just make some fanart in really high resolution and go to a print / copy-shop to have it printed on 60cm x 90cm or something like that.

merrybari

Final Flight
Just make some fanart in really high resolution and go to a print / copy-shop to have it printed on 60cm x 90cm or something like that.

Wouldn't you have to get permission to use the photos first in order to make fanart? Not sure how this works, info appreciated. Thanks.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Wouldn't you have to get permission to use the photos first in order to make fanart? Not sure how this works, info appreciated. Thanks.
Screenshots of Skating Coverage. Take Eurosport HD, record it on your computer - use the vids.

icedancingnut31

On the Ice

I went to a print shop and had some photos of skaters on a jump drive or you can upload them at walgreens.com. I don't think you need permission for them unless you post them on a website or try to sell them. If you are just using it to hang up in your house or for personal reasons I don't think you need permission.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for all the info .....we need to get an extra large poster of Plush's baby sex bomb for Seniorita. I know she would enjoy that sooooooo much. :laugh: :laugh: :clap:

jjane45

On the Ice
Technically, permission is needed for any kind of reproduction or even recreation (e.g. Obama hope poster by Fairey), for the purpose of personal wall decor guess one can get away with it.

However, the high resolution part seems to be most difficult. I am not a great painter (lol), and there is a limit how much software can enlarge a photo without compromising quality significantly.

Up to this point I see potential solutions as
1) Sweet talk a FS photographer into releasing a good photo strictly for personal use. I actually wonder if skaters themselves own royalty-free high resolution images that they don't mind sharing? :p
2) Go to shows and competitions with a good camera, take photos when allowed
3) Recording HD broadcasts (did I understand it right Medusa? Huge equipment barriers for me here)
4) Purchase a photo from Gettyimages. Confirmed that they do not sell prints. Most feasible, just $$$$$$$$$$$$. (any other sites carry figure skater photos?)

Golden Skate forum folks are GREAT, thank you for alllllll your inputs! :rock:

ETA
5) Sweet talk USOFA or USOC or TeamUSA.org into carrying skater posters or partnering with some custom-printing sites. Technology innovations enabled on-demand-production already, no mass production is necessary...

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I went to a print shop and had some photos of skaters on a jump drive or you can upload them at walgreens.com. I don't think you need permission for them unless you post them on a website or try to sell them. If you are just using it to hang up in your house or for personal reasons I don't think you need permission.

MOST places will look at professional sports shots and want to have some proof that they're either yours OR that you have permission to print them.

Also realize that if it is a photo taken at a USFSA event a photographer CANNOT sell you a photo (or apparently even give you access to where you can order it yourself-with no money going to the photog at all, just the print company-as I asked that question of the USFSA). So you'd have to go to a photog who shot at something outside the US. (competition wise, anyway, not sure what the rules are for distribution at other events)

Last edited:

jjane45

On the Ice
That's a good piece of information, thank you Tonichelle. :biggrin:
A friend of mine took professional quality pictures at hockey games and prints superb posters for his personal collection. I surely hope that he could take great photos for me at an upcoming skating show, only if photography is allowed. (the arena is not sure at this point)

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
MOST places will look at professional sports shots and want to have some proof that they're either yours OR that you have permission to print them.

Also realize that if it is a photo taken at a USFSA event a photographer CANNOT sell you a photo (or apparently even give you access to where you can order it yourself-with no money going to the photog at all, just the print company-as I asked that question of the USFSA). So you'd have to go to a photog who shot at something outside the US. (competition wise, anyway, not sure what the rules are for distribution at other events)

But do photographers really care if you use their photos as posters for decor in your house? It's for personal use and its not like you are making money off of them. I really don't see what the big deal is if you are just using them as posters in your room. Like if you were using the photo for an advertisement, I would see why the photographer would get mad, but if they get mad when they see one hanging up on your wall I think its a little ridiculous.
I went to target with a bunch of professional skating images and kinkos and I was able to print them no problem.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think the issue with using them for personal use is if you try to sell it later and then that person might copy and reproduce etc. It's a lot easier to do now than ever before.

I agree there arent' too many poster offerings. I received a couple of posters of Sarah Hughes back in 2002 after donating to the US Memorial fund. I ended up selling both on Ebay for $15+ each. Gotta strike while the iron's hot!

I've purchased a stipple drawing of Michelle and a lithograph of Kristi's SI cover on Ebay.

LOL - I'll admit to watching Bring It On - the main character had a poster of Nancy Kerrigan on her wall.

Considering the current state of skating, I'd say that you might be able to purchase 8 x 10's and, as others have suggested, take a digital image and blow it up to poster size,

jjane45

On the Ice
Thank you everyone :love:
OK I am giving up "standard" size posters for now, settling with 8x10 prints from web images, plus will order customized T-shirts from photo-generated silhouettes. Did I mention I want these autographed someday? :biggrin:
Off topic: what do you ask skaters to autograph on? I've only been to two smaller ice shows and majority of the people seem to just buy programs for autograph purposes?

Last edited:

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
Thank you everyone :love:
OK I am giving up "standard" size posters for now, settling with 8x10 prints from web images, plus will order customized T-shirts from photo-generated silhouettes. Did I mention I want these autographed someday? :biggrin:
Off topic: what do you ask skaters to autograph on? I've only been to two smaller ice shows and majority of the people seem to just buy programs for autograph purposes?

I have autographed programs, a t-shirt and a club jacket

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan Lysacek signed a USFSA tshirt for me... but most of my autographs are on photos or programs :)