Why GS has some different guidelines | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why GS has some different guidelines

i love to skate

Medalist
Well, I've seen posters "gang up" on skaters here on GS as well. It happens a lot less than it used to, but I still see it going on.

Patrick Chan is a perfect example of this. I still can't get over some of the things that were said on these boards about him this last year!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan is a perfect example of this. I still can't get over some of the things that were said on these boards about him this last year!
Yeah, well. I still can't get over all the things that were said about Joubert the past two seasons on these boards. Or about Kostner.

seniorita

Record Breaker
the worst i ve seen concerning plush(and there were a lot nasty) is someone wishing that Plushy will break his leg this year paraphrasing from the wish break a leg, I didnt really mind and a board cannot be characterized by few, but i felt there is no much room for debate regarding this phrase.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Please remember that we don't board drag (which has several meanings, one of which is bashing another board) we have a very good relationship with the folks over there, and while they seem a bit more on the harsh side, it's entertaining to read a lot of the different threads.

I didn't offer up the article because she mentioned FSU (she even admits she enjoys reading the posts now that she's not a skater in the spotlight) but because she is speaking about all message boards. FSU is the biggest/most popular and it certainly is the ones that the skaters talk about...but, a lot of skaters and parents lurk on all of the boards... Jenny confirmed that.

Last edited:
OK, I admit I forgot we don't board drag, and I won't... but isn't it a little odd to exclude comments on a certain board when we're talking about a skater blog which specifically and extensively concerns that board?

IOW, I don't really see this particular discussion as board-dragging.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yeah, well. I still can't get over all the things that were said about Joubert the past two seasons on these boards. Or about Kostner.
Patrick Chan? Seriously? Most of the criticism he got here was about the comments he made before and during Worlds, and was completely justified - they were mean-spirited and completely unprovoked. But let's not make this discussion about that debate, which had received more than its share of posts. Other than that, I've seen the judges criticized for going overboard with Chan's marks, but among frequent GS posters I haven't seen any negativity towards him beyond the standard issue "I'm not a fan of his skating" kind of comment. Even those who aren't fans usually acknowledge that he's very talented.

Meanwhile, as Medusa correctly points out, Kostner and Joubert are the target of much worse, esp. Caro - you'd think she was bribing the judges at every event to get her PCS, and plotting to whack other skaters' knees. With Joubert, at least the discussion is more balanced, although I've seen plenty of ugly comments about him, many of them about his personality and not his skating. Not to mention the kind of stuff posted here and elsewhere about DomShabs, particularly after Worlds.

Then, of course, there is the constant belittling of Evan as the man who did not win the Worlds Championship, in spite of the fact that he did. However, he will never win another championship says these same posters, and do not rank him among the top 5.

But then, again, some posters just can't stand American skaters except for Johnny. One has to live with that. It's ok.

seniorita

Record Breaker
so not only judges have geographical issues, fans also?:p
i love this sport, so much drama!:laugh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Then, of course, there is the constant belittling of Evan as the man who did not win the Worlds Championship, in spite of the fact that he did. However, he will never win another championship says these same posters, and do not rank him among the top 5.
I see Evan as a consistently good skater but not a great one. Since consistency is not something we get from most of the current crop, he's going to end up on the top of the podium at some events - and nobody can take away what he accomplished this year, when he was absolutely deserving of his win at worlds.

But if Plushy, Joubert, Dai, Abbott and Chan all bring their A-game to Vancouver, Evan is indeed not a top 5 skater. Of course, the chances of that happening are not much higher than the odds of the Nationals winning the World Series, so who knows what might happen.

^^^
I agree Evan is not a great skater, but he did win the World Championship.

Your list of 'Great male skaters without defining the word, Great is an opinion, but you did not back up that opinion with what makes the men mentioned in the list so great.

Joubert - has been around for many many years and just can't make it to the great top step of the podium.

Dai - Had an excellent podium skate in home town, 2007. I'll be looking for that to be repeated this season.

Abbott and Chan -- are newbies compared with the above. Are they better than Evan right now? They didn't show it in LA or Tokyo.

Plushy is Plushy and he will podium

What happened to Nobi?

If all the gentlemen bring their A Game (and I hope they do) it will not only be a Great contest, it may well determine the Greatest of them all. I just hope the judges are not intimidated by Plushy's presence.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
OT post:
Your list of 'Great male skaters without defining the word, Great is an opinion, but you did not back up that opinion with what makes the men mentioned in the list so great.
I listed who the top 5 would be, IMO, based on what they can do when they're on. This is not necessarily the same as what I consider greatness, because as you noted, that's an elusive concept and a bit subjective, and honestly, I just didn't feel like taking the issue further.

Joubert - has been around for many many years and just can't make it to the great top step of the podium.
Joe, you do remember a certain French guy winning 2007 Worlds, right? ;) Sweeping the season, in fact. And it wasn't Yannick Ponsero.

Abbott and Chan -- are newbies compared with the above. Are they better than Evan right now? They didn't show it in LA or Tokyo.
They're more talented, but considerably less consistent - which was my original point. Also, both need to work on projecting to the audience; Joubert and Lysacek have got them beat on that.

If all the gentlemen bring their A Game (and I hope they do) it will not only be a Great contest, it may well determine the Greatest of them all. I just hope the judges are not intimidated by Plushy's presence.
Indeed!

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I just hope the judges are not intimidated by Plushy's presence.

Right, cause judges only jump on their seats on Plushy presence. Poor guys, it must have been hard for them the last 3 years... Sorry, this is unfair. If Plushy medals it's judges again, if par example Dai medals he is the greatest of them all...I love dai by the way, just example. It sounds me the same as the Evan didnt win the worlds stuff...
And who said Evan didnt win the worlds?:think:

Lets just say everybody delivers and it will be a great contest.

i love to skate

Medalist
Patrick Chan? Seriously? Most of the criticism he got here was about the comments he made before and during Worlds, and was completely justified - they were mean-spirited and completely unprovoked. But let's not make this discussion about that debate, which had received more than its share of posts. Other than that, I've seen the judges criticized for going overboard with Chan's marks, but among frequent GS posters I haven't seen any negativity towards him beyond the standard issue "I'm not a fan of his skating" kind of comment. Even those who aren't fans usually acknowledge that he's very talented.

Meanwhile, as Medusa correctly points out, Kostner and Joubert are the target of much worse, esp. Caro - you'd think she was bribing the judges at every event to get her PCS, and plotting to whack other skaters' knees. With Joubert, at least the discussion is more balanced, although I've seen plenty of ugly comments about him, many of them about his personality and not his skating. Not to mention the kind of stuff posted here and elsewhere about DomShabs, particularly after Worlds.

Um yes, seriously. I was simply using Patrick as an example because he had a lot of negativity going his way this past year. PCS=Patrick Chan Scores, calling him arrogant, constantly picking on his triple axel and lack of a quad (someone even suggested he go skate with the ladies because of his axel), calling him a brat, saying the only reason he was doing good was because he is Canadian,etc, etc. If you find all that acceptable how come you take issue when it happens to other skaters? Just because you don't think it was "bashing" or "trashing" or whatever you want to call it doesn't mean it isn't or that it didn't happen.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
who's saying Evan isn't world champion? I haven't read that :no:

I read EVAN WINS!!!!!!!!!! and people being bummed about their favorites, but it's not like it was a close contest. He stood up when it counted most...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
How GS is Different from other skating forums?

We are a news service as well as a forum.

We have individuals at events with press passes who go to the press events and write great, detailed reviews of the events.

We have great interviews with skaters. In fact, we get really good interviews on GS exactly because we do not allow indiscriminate trashing of skaters or coaches, nor do we allow unsupported rumors.

So before you post something that is thoroughly outrageous about a skater or team, consider how you (Jane Skatesalot) would respond to a request for a GS interview in the following case. You've never heard of GS, so you check it out to see whether or not you wish to be associated with GS. Now suppose you read on GS:

"Jane Skateslot reminds me of a vulture who eats her young."

If a GS reporter then asks:

"So, Jane , how about an exclusive interview for Golden Skate?"

What do you think you will tell the GS reporter? What do you think you will tell your friends, who are also elite skaters about GS?

GS also is intended to be a resource for young skaters, so we try to maintain a Suitable for Young Teens rating. As a result, we are quite picky that your language would be G rated, so to speak.

Are there any other guidelines that you find different or would like to ask questions about?

If so, bring it on. It's the off-season, and it's a good time to talk about these things.

A forum and a main page are separate entities.

"Awardsdaily.com" is an industry website that has done very well for itself and has a lot of traffic.

The awardsdaily forums are 100% full of talk that is not G rated. Yet, high-ranking individuals within the film/television industry continue to visit (not only the main page, but the forums themselves).

Personally, I am in favor of ideas and people expressing them. As long as talk does not become derogatory towards other posters. Being interesting is the key element in the success of many media outlets.

When you put yourself in the public eye, you are open to criticism. It's rather against the very idea of a public forum to try and "protect" skaters. Bad reviews happen and sometimes they are harsh and cutting. Newspapers don't censor such reviews because they are afraid of the producer/director/actors getting mad at their publication. It's how the World works, in this wonderful age of free speech and mass communication.

I've noticed that the GoldenSkate forums have become a little more open in the past year. This is a good thing and I hope the environment here will continue to blossom and shake off the chains of artificiality.

R.D.

Record Breaker
As an "old-timer" here, I think GS has actually become softer in tone. Five or six years ago, there were some really scathing remarks made on a regular basis about certain skaters. Although such talk pops up from time to time, I think the atmosphere (and demographic) has changed- shifted in favor of certain skaters, but overall I think discussion is more balanced than in previous years.

Truth to tell, the Golden Skate moderators do practically nothing, except zap occasional spam.

When a GS member uses the “report this post” feature to call our attention to something out of line, the moderators discuss it. Nine times out of ten we do not come to any definite conclusion, a few days pass, the thread goes on to the next page, and we all just forget about it.

The main thing that is not so good is when two posters hijack a thread by turning it into their own personal insult contest. This thread-killing tactic actually is the opposite of “freedom of speech,” because when it happens the more timid posters are afraid to join the discussion, plus it is boring to everyone except the two antagonists.

janetfan

Match Penalty
who's saying Evan isn't world champion? I haven't read that :no:

I read EVAN WINS!!!!!!!!!! and people being bummed about their favorites, but it's not like it was a close contest. He stood up when it counted most...

I watched Evan's Worlds LP this morning - then Joubert - then Chan. Evan not only won, he did it in style. His energy level increased throughout his program and by the end he was flying through through his steps. I think the other guys knew he deserved it too. It is nice to see hard work and perserverance pay off like that.