Shizuka Arakawa's new program "Yugao" (from The Tale of Genji) | Golden Skate

Shizuka Arakawa's new program "Yugao" (from The Tale of Genji)

SusieH

On the Ice
Shizuka Arakawa's new program "Yugao" (from The Tale of Genji)

I apologize if anyone has already posted this link as I've not been following recent discussion very closely. But I just saw this ethereally beautiful program at youtube, and thought I'd like to share :) I loved her use of the fan :clap:

The music is composed by Ikuko Kawai, a well-established Japanese violinist and composer, and is inspired by the story of the tragical heroine "Yugao" in The Tale of Genji, a Japanese literary classic.

I checked out Ikuko Kawai's website. It seems that this music piece is included in this figure skating music collection album supervised by Arakawa. Not sure if it is one of her old pieces or is specifically composed for Shizuka.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Shizuka's 'Frozen' at FOI was also amazing. This woman has preserved her skills from 2006 - quite unbelievable.

Ikuko Kawai also performed the best version of Aranjuez I've ever heard - the one used by MK in her 2003 LP.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am fimiliar with the tale of Genji, but had no idea there was music composed for it. Very interesting.

It is amazing that Shizukia is just as technically excellent (and improved artistically) than she was in 2006. :bow:

That program was stunning. Thank you so much for posting! It rivaled Sasha in musicality and artistry.

Last edited:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Ikuko Kawai also performed the best version of Aranjuez I've ever heard - the one used by MK in her 2003 LP.
Shizuka used Aranjuez before Michelle did. It was her music in 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCz-qrRW_hg

Unfortunately, it was not a great performance for her. It would be interesting to see the program skated perfectly.

Shizuka's new program is absolutely gorgeous. Really great doing some of the jumps with the fan.

Last edited: