Which skating moves do you hate? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which skating moves do you hate?

xSk8m8x

Spectator
This may (or may not !) be useful information to you, but my coach always said to me that when doing back inside 3's always stay on the back inside edge as if you were setting up for a spin - hold the edge, like you would for a spin but instead of stepping forward to go into a spin & transferring the weight onto the other foot, keep your weight outside the circle & towards the middle and rear of the skate (not too far back though!) and then action the 3 turn leading with the same arm as skating leg

I hope that helps - coz before my coach explained this movement I battled with the back turns for ages!
However, I have a new nemesis...the axel...loathe it! I find the other doubles less daunting and far less temperamental! :banging::banging::banging: lol!

vlaurend

Final Flight
This may (or may not !) be useful information to you, but my coach always said to me that when doing back inside 3's always stay on the back inside edge as if you were setting up for a spin - hold the edge, like you would for a spin but instead of stepping forward to go into a spin & transferring the weight onto the other foot, keep your weight outside the circle & towards the middle and rear of the skate (not too far back though!) and then action the 3 turn leading with the same arm as skating leg.

Interesting tip! What helped me the most was telling myself I was doing a back outside 3 on the other foot. I know it sounds weird, but one time a few years ago I accidentally did a LBI 3-turn instead of a RBO 3-turn (i.e., I was on the right pattern but wasn't thinking and mistakenly did the CCW turn on the left foot), then I realized I had just done a perfect LBI 3-turn, LOL!
It was then that I realized the upper body and head are supposed to be doing the exact same thing on a LBI 3-turn as a RBO 3-turn. Same for the RBI 3-turn and LBO 3-turn. Once I realized that, I just told myself I was doing a back outside on the other foot and it hasn't been a problem since then! :p

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
This may (or may not !) be useful information to you, but my coach always said to me that when doing back inside 3's always stay on the back inside edge as if you were setting up for a spin - hold the edge, like you would for a spin but instead of stepping forward to go into a spin & transferring the weight onto the other foot, keep your weight outside the circle & towards the middle and rear of the skate (not too far back though!) and then action the 3 turn leading with the same arm as skating leg
This might be very helpful. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have a fear of getting too far back on the blade (had a bad fall once doing the 3 turn).

vlaurend

Final Flight
This might be very helpful. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I have a fear of getting too far back on the blade (had a bad fall once doing the 3 turn).

Here are some specifics that really help me:
1. Focus on really pressing the middle of the blade into the ice, then bending your ankle more deeply just before executing the turn. I like to keep my free foot right at the ankle of the skating foot for control, but you can do what feels best for you.
2. Keep the skating side hip strong and tight so that it stays aligned right under you instead of sticking out. Don't drop the free hip, either; keep them level.
3. Head and shoulders are key, just like with the BO 3-turns. Here's what they should be doing:
If you start at the top of the circle (let's call it 12:00) and want to make your turn at the top of the lobe (3:00 for CW lobe or 9:00 for CCW lobe), then you need to start at 12:00 facing backward with your face and chest facing slightly inside the circle, then at 1:00 CW/11:00 CCW you start rotating your head and slowly scissoring your arms so that by the time you reach 3:00 CW/9:00 CCW your head and chest are now facing outside the circle. You'll be looking over your outside shoulder, and once you can spot 5:00 CW/7:00 CCW on your circle, that means you are at 3:00/9:00 and it's time to turn.

Last edited:

sk8indel

On the Ice
Well I actually don't mind the double toe too much, now that pesky double lutz I am annoyed with.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Well I actually don't mind the double toe too much, now that pesky double lutz I am annoyed with.

Just noticed your signature line. Are you a friend of Ibuki's? I miss her and her parents since they moved back to Nagoya. . . :-(

mskater93

Record Breaker

It could be that you are too tense for these. My secondary coach is having me work these things to be more free flowing and easy. We are working on skating "down in my core" and letting the core and hips do work that I have been having my shoulders do all this time. It's making things a lot easier. We've worked a great deal on relaxation...

sk8indel

On the Ice
Just noticed your signature line. Are you a friend of Ibuki's? I miss her and her parents since they moved back to Nagoya. . . :-(

I'm not a friend of hers. I've just seen her around at competitions and such and I love the way she skates.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The Lutz was my least favorite jump. I never did master it.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I hate the end pattern of Move #1 on the Novice MIF test. Inner to inner threes. Bleh! :disapp::scowl:

Omg I hate those too. It hurts so much when I fall on the counter-clockwise ones because I usually turn clockwise. Getting the timing is the most evil part....

coskater

Spectator
I really disliked the second side of the Jr choctaw pattern...and choctaws in general are just not that easy for me...I do like the blues choctaws.

I called those 3's on the novice the whirling dervish manuever, thats generally how I looked doing them, I ran into the wall....a lot! :laugh:

santeangelo

Spectator
rudy galindo

does anyone know if he still is skating i know that in 2006 he was an ambassador for the gay atheletic teams ... he has always been one of the most amazing atheletes in my opinion :bow:

N

n_halifax

Least favourite jump to do - 2salchow
Least favourite spin to do - flying camel

Yschntä

Rinkside
I really hate the layback spin. I managed to learn a acceptable level1 layback, but I think it will be difficult to get more... And I just hate doing it.
But I love all jumps!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Omg I hate those too. It hurts so much when I fall on the counter-clockwise ones because I usually turn clockwise. Getting the timing is the most evil part....

OMG, I am EXACTLY in the same boat! CW skater, hating the slamming to the ice on that side!

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Once upon a time I would have said triple lutz, because I had edge issues with it (even though I never had them with the double)... then somehow from working on that and correcting it, especially getting more speed to make sure it was fully rotated, I wound up over-rotating my triple flip and started hating that instead lol. Outside of jumps... sit spins. If my legs had the ability, I think they would have beat me to death in my sleep for making them do sit spins hehe. Now that I've been told "no more skating," I'd shed tears of joy to be able to sit spin around the rink all day.. I know I hated it then, but I'd give anything to have it back.