Michelle Kwan skating at Yu-Na's ice show in Korea | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan skating at Yu-Na's ice show in Korea

jjane45

On the Ice
I wish to attend ALL those super classes, but will satisfy with video clips -- wish some would leak out ;)
Wondering what exactly is taught in the first 3 "technique classes", and who are the attendees of the "national class" taught by Evan, Evgeni, and Tanith :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
So who would be your first choice of ANY skater to take a private skating lesson with?

Well, well.

There are many interesting choices out there, but for some reason I used to have a soft spot for this skater- inherently she'd be my first choice

http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/photos/2005/San Jose Stars on Ice/dsc_7264.jpg

I really enjoyed her show skating and miss her somewhat. All the mean stuff said about her notwithstanding.

My second choice would be this skater

http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/.../070127/070127_figureSkating_vmed3p.widec.jpg

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
dont say sorry, it was my clumpsy humor as aways:)
and i m sorry for my poor english too!:yes:
I ll give you plushy for your training:p

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, well.

There are many interesting choices out there, but for some reason I used to have a soft spot for this skater- inherently she'd be my first choice

http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/photos/2005/San Jose Stars on Ice/dsc_7264.jpg

I really enjoyed her show skating and miss her somewhat. All the mean stuff said about her notwithstanding.

My second choice would be this skater

http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/.../070127/070127_figureSkating_vmed3p.widec.jpg

Just checked the photos and..

I think I see a connection here--Red Dog has a fondness for red costumes :)

Actually, there is an interesting little sideshow going on here -- the competition between the two figure skating promotional outfits, IMG and IB. According to a post by one of our Korean contributors (I can't seem to find it right now -- sorry), the two organizations competed for Yu-na Kim in 2007, and Kim decided to sign with IB.

Now we have dueling ice shows. IMG comes in with a powerhouse international cast, Plushenko, Lysacek, Sasha Cohen -- all represented by IMG.

Yu-na circles the wagons. She lines up Lambiel. Take that, IMG! But how can she steal the thunder from the all star line up of the other show? How? :laugh:

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yu-na circles the wagons. She lines up Lambiel. Take that, IMG! But how can she steal the thunder from the all star line up of the other show? How?

I think Yu-na being in a show makes it 100% more popular in Korea anyways. :lol:

merrybari

Final Flight
The complicated situation appears to illustrate the competitive behind-the-scenes squabbles between sports agencies. Kim, who has become a skating superstar in Korea, signed a contract with IMG Korea in May 2006 that ran until 2010 but made the move to IB Sports in 2007. United States-based IMG filed a lawsuit against the IB Sports for 2 billion won ($1.6 million), but failed to win the case.

Quote above from this item that sheds more light on the subject.

Controversy Mounting Over Local Ice Show
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2009/06/136_46511.html

cosmos

On the Ice
I think Yu-na being in a show makes it 100% more popular in Korea anyways. :lol:

Not only popularity but sympathy. The IMG-IB,YuNa relation has become worse and almost emotional by a series of incidents like the 2007 Japan Open incident and the fact that IMG has never allowed its skaters to appear in YuNa show. These kind of things made many fans sympathize with her against IMG.

I am almost sure that the IMG show (Hyundai show) will have a hard time selling tickets.

Wrlmy

Medalist
What's the japan open incident?
It's a pity if the other show won't be quite as successful with such a spectacular cast. But I can see why emotionally invested Yuna fans will feel the way they do about IMG. With Scott Hamilton raving about Yuna (I hadn't heard him so excited about a non-US skater for a long time), perhaps IMG and her agent will somehow reconcile?

How big is her agency? Can you provide any information about IB?

sillylionlove

Medalist
What's the japan open incident?
It's a pity if the other show won't be quite as successful with such a spectacular cast. But I can see why emotionally invested Yuna fans will feel the way they do about IMG. With Scott Hamilton raving about Yuna (I hadn't heard him so excited about a non-US skater for a long time), perhaps IMG and her agent will somehow reconcile?

How big is her agency? Can you provide any information about IB?

IB Sports Inc. is a Korea-based company engaged in the sports marketing business. The Company gets relay broadcasting rights of sports events from Major League Baseball (MLB), Asian Football Confederation (AFC), Korea Basketball League (KBL), World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), Korea Ladies Professional Golf Association (KLPGA) and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), among others, and distributes to various television stations and media companies. It is also engaged in the marketing of sports event sponsorship and management of athletes. On June 5, 2009, the Company established a Korea-based subsidiary, engaged in Internet protocol television (IPTV) sports channel business.

IMG IMG is the world's premier and most diversified sports, entertainment and media company. We partner with the world's leading marketers and media networks to help them grow their businesses through our event properties, media production and distribution, talent brands, sponsorship consulting, brand licensing, sponsorship sales and other services.

From emerging leadership in areas like digital media, licensing and entertainment programming, to our long-standing strength in sports, fashion and traditional media, IMG is committed to providing business-building solutions. Our partners include many of the world's most famous brands, media outlets, sports governing bodies, national and local governments, athletes, entertainers, models and fashion designers.

IMG is the global leader in event management and talent representation across golf, tennis and fashion and has a significant presence in many other sports, cultural and lifestyle categories. Our media division is one of the world's top independent producers of sports and entertainment television across multiple genres and is an emerging leader in video and interactive content creation for broadband and mobile platforms.

Founded in 1960 with a handshake between Mark McCormack and golf legend Arnold Palmer, IMG has grown into a global operation. In 2004, renowned entrepreneurial pioneer Ted Forstmann acquired the company and infused it with renewed energy, creativity, and strategic direction.

I would say that IMG is about 100 times the size of IB!!!

ETA: got this info directly from each companies website.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Thanks for the information. I wonder why Yuna chose IB over IMG, and why IMG felt the need to go on to the court over her, who, back then, wasn't even a big star she is now.

cosmos

On the Ice
Thanks for the information. I wonder why Yuna chose IB over IMG, and why IMG felt the need to go on to the court over her, who, back then, wasn't even a big star she is now.

IMG is certainly a giant in sport marketing. However, IMG Korea is (and was) still a small office with only few emploees. That time, YuNa's popularity was limited to die hard fans. IMG Korea lacked capability to help her actively, while IMG golbal didn't seem to recognize her potential and marketability. It almost abandoned her and didn't even list her name on its website while Mao's name was on it. Obviously, YuNa was disappointed.

IB is nothing compared to IMG, but it is not so small. Its total sales in a year is almost 50 M $. (Its mother company is based in Spain). It gave her good offer. It was just before YuNa went to Toronto and she was desperately needed money for training there. IB promised to give her all training expenses necessary to Vancouver.

It was a service contract between YuNa and IMG. If you don't like the service, you can terminate it anytime (at least in the Korean legal system). So, she terminated it. IMG Korea declared that she would never skate in any IMG show. Ironically, just after she left IMG Korea, her popularity and marketability) began to grow quickly. (thanks to active marketing of IB?). IMG had no legal ground for suing YuNa. Instead, it sued IB for unethical busuiness act or something like that, but lost.

A month or so after she left IMG, she was invited to 2007 Japan Open Gala. Just one or two weeks before JO, ISU suddenly intervened to say she can't because of an obscure rule that only skaters involved in the competition are allowed to skate in Gala. But, strangely enough, ISU didn't say anything about Shen/Zhao and Mai who didn't compete in JO either, and they could perform in the Gala. It was rumored that it was IMG that played behind the scene not to let YuNa skate in JO Gala. Actually, YuNa's mom admitted after one year in a Korean fanpage that IMG Korea really told her so.

Right after the Japan Open incident, many YuNa's fans were afraid that she may not skate again in an ice show. However, it turns out that she now has her show and invite non-IMG US skaters.

Last edited:

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
IMG is certainly a giant in sport marketing. However, IMG Korea is (and was) still a small office with only few emploees. That time, YuNa's popularity was limited to die hard fans. IMG Korea lacked capability to help her actively, while IMG golbal didn't seem to recognize her potential and marketability. It almost abandoned her and didn't even list her name on its website while Mao's name was on it. Obviously, YuNa was disappointed.

IB is nothing compared to IMG, but it is not so small. Its total sales in a year is almost 50 M $. (Its mother company is based in Spain). It gave her good offer. It was just before YuNa went to Toronto and she was desperately needed money for training there. IB promised to give her all training expenses necessary to Vancouver.

It was a service contract between YuNa and IMG. If you don't like the service, you can terminate it anytime (at least in the Korean legal system). So, she terminated it. IMG Korea declared that she would never skate in any IMG show. Ironically, just after she left IMG Korea, her popularity and marketability) began to grow quickly. (thanks to active marketing of IB?). IMG had no legal ground for suing YuNa. Instead, it sued IB for unethical busuiness act or something like that, but lost.

A month or so after she left IMG, she was invited to 2007 Japan Open Gala. Just one or two weeks before JO, ISU suddenly intervened to say she can't because of an obscure rule that only skaters involved in the competition are allowed to skate in Gala. But, strangely enough, ISU didn't say anything about Shen/Zhao and Mai who didn't compete in JO, and they could perform in the Gala. It was rumored that it was IMG that played behind the scene not to let YuNa skate in JO Gala. Actually, YuNa's mom admitted after one year in a Korean fanpage that IMG Korea really told her so.

Right after the Japan Open incident, many YuNa's fans were afraid that she may not skate again in an ice show. However, it turns out that she now has her show and invite non-IMG US skaters.

Thanks for your detailed info. I don't know whether IMG International and IMG Korea are thinking the same thing or not, but to me it seems like Yu-NA won't appear on 2010 Stars on Ice champions tours even if she wins Gold medal in Olympics.

cosmos

On the Ice
Thanks for your detailed info. I don't know whether IMG International and IMG Korea are thinking the same thing or not, but to me it seems like Yu-NA won't appear on 2010 Stars on Ice champions tours even if she wins Gold medal in Olympics.

I suspect that IMG international may have been ill-informed by its Korean office. It is IMG Korea that YuNa's family has a bad impression of. I doubt that YuNa has had any direct contact with IMG.