Thoughts About Choreography | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thoughts About Choreography

Are there bonus points under CoP for a good choreo smile :laugh:

There is a bullet under the Performance/Execution Program Compomnent that speaks of "establishing an invisible connection with the audience." :yes:

Of course, Dick Button will be sure to offer a critique. If your eyes are not smiling, he will mark you down. (He did say this about Sasha once.)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
That would be Steuer himself. He is costume designer, choreographer, coach etc. in one.
If it is indeed so, isn't it amazing for a former Stasi agent to have such a delicate and fine soul? Fine enough to create a piece of art to the 'Schindler's list' score.
didnt they also choreographed themselves?
They could have, but I was primarily referring to this program of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP9DP9IJ_P0

And I think, it's Linichuk's. L&K are, IMO, usually so over the top, so unnecessary melodramatic. Yet managed to make that one Lacrimosa very convincing. Prophetic even, in a sense.
As far as choreographers go, my vote goes to Sarah Kawahara, she's a genius in my humble opinion.
Wasn't she the one who did the group choreo in the last COI tours? That is how I know her work.
Of course, Dick Button will be sure to offer a critique. If your eyes are not smiling, he will mark you down. (He did say this about Sasha once.)
And Uncle Dick knows what he's talking about, does he not. His own smile is usually oh so genuine.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kawahara was MK's choreographer for the 01-02 Season... she is and has been Scott Hamilton's choreographer since 1985 (or there abouts) she acted somewhat as a coach for him when he came back after his battle with cancer. she's won emmy's for her choreography for Scott Hamilton's Upside Down special (produced by Disney) and the choreography done for the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2002 Olympics.

She is a fantastic choreographer.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Under CoP the role of chreographer has changed. Lori did some very nice things for Michelle, but what was so great about those programs, the simpilistic moves that captured the feel of the music so well don't work under CoP. Now the top choreographers are so in demand because they are capable for creating programs that judges like. Lori seems to have the magic touch....judges fall head over heels for her programs. Morozov and Wilson have also been very successful.

Personally I like Sarah Karahawa's work the best. Kurt Browning has also done some excellent things.

I agree with whoever said that the skater really makes a chreographer shine. Lori has done some great things, but other programs just are blah.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Under CoP the role of chreographer has changed. Lori did some very nice things for Michelle, but what was so great about those programs, the simpilistic moves that captured the feel of the music so well don't work under CoP. Now the top choreographers are so in demand because they are capable for creating programs that judges like. Lori seems to have the magic touch....judges fall head over heels for her programs. Morozov and Wilson have also been very successful.

Personally I like Sarah Karahawa's work the best. Kurt Browning has also done some excellent things.

I agree with whoever said that the skater really makes a chreographer shine. Lori has done some great things, but other programs just are blah.

Thanks for your comments. It seems that there is resistance from skating fans to come out and say it - but CoP demands a certains type of choreo or you have no chance of making the podium. Skaters know Lori is good at it so they flock to her, Wilson and and several others and voila: just as Bianchetti said, "they are all looking the same."
I wonder if skating will be stuck in this mode for a while or if eventually the freedom to risk something different will make a comeback.
Creativity is so important and perhaps we all love our favorite skaters so much we fail to see that it is on the wane under CoP. Coaches have pointed this out and accept they have no choice but to help their skaters master these new purely point driven choreos. It must get tedious working under such conditions.

There is a bullet under the Performance/Execution Program Compomnent that speaks of "establishing an invisible connection with the audience." :yes:

Well, the choreography when it originates is based upon the skater's abilities. I don't think our well known choreographers would give them difficult steps into hi level elements. How much the skater contributes to the choreography has to be his ability to include just so much what he can do and where to do it.

Not unusual to see some skaters open up with a cute little intro move and then go after the first hi level jump preceded by some hefty crossovers. The crossovers will continue until the next hi level jumps are completed. There maybe a rocker or two before the jumps. Afterwards, the program will be more that of the choreographer.

Anyone know of any skater who can really show a balanced program?

i love to skate

Medalist
Thanks for your comments. It seems that there is resistance from skating fans to come out and say it - but CoP demands a certains type of choreo or you have no chance of making the podium. Skaters know Lori is good at it so they flock to her, Wilson and and several others and voila: just as Bianchetti said, "they are all looking the same."
I wonder if skating will be stuck in this mode for a while or if eventually the freedom to risk something different will make a comeback.
Creativity is so important and perhaps we all love our favorite skaters so much we fail to see that it is on the wane under CoP. Coaches have pointed this out and accept they have no choice but to help their skaters master these new purely point driven choreos. It must get tedious working under such conditions.

I think all the skaters have unique qualities and I think there is still plenty of creativity and different styles in the sport. The top ladies are very different: Yu-Na is very passionate, Joannie has an athletic but balletic quality about her, and Mao is very smooth and airy. Comparing the men, Patrick is very different from Brian as well as Evan. All the dance teams have interesting themes and music. I think COP has brought so much more to skating. When I go back and watch a lot of programs from 6.0 I am often very bored. There are so many crosscuts, telegraphing for jumps, and little to no footwork.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think all the skaters have unique qualities and I think there is still plenty of creativity and different styles in the sport. The top ladies are very different: Yu-Na is very passionate, Joannie has an athletic but balletic quality about her, and Mao is very smooth and airy. Comparing the men, Patrick is very different from Brian as well as Evan. All the dance teams have interesting themes and music. I think COP has brought so much more to skating. When I go back and watch a lot of programs from 6.0 I am often very bored. There are so many crosscuts, telegraphing for jumps, and little to no footwork.

Footwork? How quickly you forgot the great Kurt Browning :clap:

i love to skate

Medalist
Anyone know of any skater who can really show a balanced program?

Joannie Rochette. Awesome jumps preceded or followed by loads of transitions, great speed, good spins, interesting choreography, good musicality. I think she is everything you can ask for in a skater.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Besides him.:laugh:
Fadeev.

NHK 1988; yes, the program needs a bit... getting used to? But there is barely a simply cross-over, the steps preceding the Triple Loop are amazing in my opinion. Spins were a bit slow here, but usually he also had interesting spins.

Of course it is not the same as COP footwork.

janetfan

Match Penalty
No not really. In his 1988 long program his footwork sequence consisted of some side pushes, a couple three turns, and some bunny hops/little jumps. Great speed and jumps but not great footwork, IMO.

Watch some of his pro skating. Orser was known for his all around skating skills and that generally includes footwork. Some of his show routines showed some footwork that right now Patrick can only dream about doing.
jmo

Fadeev.

NHK 1988; yes, the program needs a bit... getting used to? But there is barely a simply cross-over, the steps preceding the Triple Loop are amazing in my opinion. Spins were a bit slow here, but usually he also had interesting spins.

Of course it is not the same as COP footwork.
That was 1988 and he needed refinement more than he needed footwork. He was fine with that. So talented and to drop out of sight, why? Now that he's back, can we still get that incredible FLOW over the ice. No stopping and posing, for me, is super showmanship.

Thanks Joe. I just watched - great skating :agree: - only 18? Great future.
I am happy to cheer for this kid since Prague has a special place in my heart.
Unfortunately, his best footwork was at the GPF and there doesn't seem to be any on youtube. But try his Singing in the Rain just to see the showmanship, and at 18? Very special talent, but the question begs, Is he competitive?, Showman? or both? Hope Icenetwork, keeps us viewing all those comps. He's got Joubert, Weir and Rippon in NHK . and Chan, Abbott and Contesti in Skate Canada. I more than likely will go to SC. Kitchner is a bit awkward for flights, though.

SC also has Mirai, Caroline and Rochette. It's the last GP to make it to the Finals, so everyone should be at their best. The points count. Great Pairs, and Skate Dance entries there too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That was 1988 and he needed refinement more than he needed footwork. He was fine with that. So talented and to drop out of sight, why? Now that he's back, can we still get that incredible FLOW over the ice. No stopping and posing, for me, is super showmanship.

as far as I know the Fadeev of the 80s is not "back" ??? Perhaps we are thinking of Fedor ANDREV (however it's spelled) :unsure::scratch: